Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht vs. Leinster, leg the first (Sportsground, Friday 8th April 8pm, BT Sport One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

THought Toner was retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Would want to look at that Connacht late tackle again.

He was late, jumped into it and had his back turned when he made contact.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ross that's an absolute shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Papaili should get a card for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Byrne!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Ah Ross

Lowe gone out of the game completely with 2 shockers in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

How many times are Connacht going to be allowed to tackle off the ball?

love how the Sportsground flood the opposing officials in green!

Such stupid penalties from Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

A win is a win!

I'll take the 5 point win in the end, but I don't think Leinster were in the least bit impressive. They were incredibly sloppy in the second half and their accuracy went to pot when things didn't go their own way. Been the same story too many times this season.

Leinster leading at half time more or less. Roll on next Friday.

The positives are Doris and VDF being utter monsters.

Great game. Much better game than I thought it would be. Thought Leinster played very well, Connacht exceptional and it should be noted that Bealham was the best prop on the pitch - massive performance and my player of the match.

Thought Lowe played very well but marks against for failing to fulfil my prophetic hopes. Sexton lost his cool and was right to be subbed - no idea why we didn't take the points on offer later on albeit pre match overconfidence and a desire to create a first leg gap is what I suspect led to a disrespect of Connacht in terms of the actual unfolding of the game.

Really enjoyed that - glad we won but not at all disappointed that Connacht hammered us all game and even more happy to see how strong their pack was.

Great start to a rugby weekend and the only disappointment is that it's two Irish provinces in the one double header.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Sexton was a disgrace. He was clearly annoyed at getting outplayed by Carty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Credit to Connacht though. They made a real game of it and matched up physically in the forwards.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Connacht gave as good as they got. There were some high tackles, some off the ball stuff, lots of side entries. lots of diving off feet from both sides

JVG should have seen red and should be cited for breaking Marmions nose, Sexton could have been carded in the first half, Papilli should probably have had a yellow for the off the ball tackle

On Balance, I think the ref gave more of the 50/50s to Leinster especially the JGP yellow, which if red, would probably have been enough for Connacht to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

JGP should have gone. Mind you Sexton should have in the first half for a similar tackle to the noggin (can't remember who he hit as 30 players were in green).

Happy with the win but the men of the West let down by the official.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

We watched an entertaining game and still all people want to talk about is the referee. Tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

porter is such a loss.

Healy is struggling and his replacement is a step down from that.

If any team will beat leinster they will want an incredible backrow because Doris Vdf Conan is as good as it gets.

Good performance by connacht, but some of the carthy love needs to be wound in. Some of his play is very very average, and some of his kicking is just downright bad.

Two MoTM awards for Doris in a row.

He turned 24 just last week. He's a genuinely special player that I hope has a long, injury free career. It's a toss up between him or VDF as best player in Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Connacht should have got a YC when Keenan scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The ref had a good game, am I allowed to say that?

I wonder did Leinster target Aki tonight or did our attacks just culminate in him being the last defender to manipulate? Either way he was very poor defensively and that's something Leinster should consider in their gameplan for next Friday.

Considering sexton was reffing the game i dont think many will object

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jgp tackle looked worse in slow mo I thought. Can see the ref's perspective but would not be surprised to see a citing on Monday.

Typical Connacht v Leinster game really. Lots of intensity forcing lots of errors, both teams losing composure at key moments.

A five point lead going into the home leg is just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ah jaysus lads, it was never a red card in a million years

Marmion dips pre contact, there's no force and JGP is completely passive and soaks the tackle. It's high and poor technique from JGP, but virtually no level of danger. Yellow is very fair.

Very different to Daly lining Frawley up from 5 yards away and putting a huge shot straight to his head when Frawley is completely upright.

I know everyone outside Leinster wanted Connacht to win, but it was never a red.

Out of interest if connacht win by 6 points next week but no BP then who goes through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

BT is absolutely painful to watch....

EVERYTHING IS HUGE...INCREDIBLE...overhyped...stop trying to sell this shìt to me.....im watching already....

Makes me miss the sky sports days of stuart barnes et al.....now that should say enough....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thought Aki was really good defensively tbh. The break by Keenan for Lowe's try was more due to an excellent line by him and a perfect delayed pass by Sexton imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

Points difference only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No BP in knockout rugby. Just add the two scores together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Super player. He’s like a mix of Heaslip and SOB.

• Advertisement

For two of Leinsters trys he was the Connacht player that made the crucial error which led to scores. For the first he lost contact with Hansen in defence and for the second he flapped at a tackle and let Keenan through.

It could be that he was just the player who was left with only bad options to take and that the real damage was done in earlier phases. But he was definitely prominent in the concession of those two scores.

Something for Leinster to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ersatz

I thought both of them were fairly ordinary tbh.

If Connacht could find some consistency they'd be some outfit, seems they can really get it up for interpros but then fall apart in so so games during the season. I agree that if JGP got a red that might have been enough for them but they also left a few good chances on the park through a lack of composure and leadership. Leinster have some incredible talent in the backs and the back row but when Sexton isn't great they make it very hard for themselves. I haven't seen much of the French teams this year but on this form they'll have their work cut out for them later in the season. It will be really interesting to see how they get on in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Enjoyable game. Leinster's running lines are a joy to watch, Keenan and O'Brien especially. JVF and Doris are outstanding. Bealham and Mack excellent for Connacht, but sorry to see our old friends crooked line-out, midfield gap and scrum panic again. The JGP decision was definitely iffy and one had the distinct feeling the referee had already decided it was a yellow before the review and and then went looking for reasons to stick with that. Personally, I'm a bit sick of the impact of red cards so I wasn't heartbroken, but this was one of those occasions where a few decisions did go Connacht's way so ok, it's not a consistent application of the rules, but there's some equity.

Connacht shouldn't start TOH next week even if he is fit. Thought he had a howler of a game. Kicked poorly and was blown through in the tackle a few times. He also looks.quite slow when running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd be a fairly pessimistic Connacht fan this year but was happy enough with that showing. Thought Oliver had another blinder and Porch mighta had that pep in his step he was missing this season. I also thought our ferocity at the breakdown was on a different level with Bundee. Hansen is worth the price of admission.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn't have quibbled with a red to be honest, thought we were lucky enough to get away with yellow. It completely killed Leinster's momentum though, think we were on for a pretty decent scoreline til then. Think Connacht were very lucky to avoid a yellow of their own given the number of penalties they gave away in their 22. Ultimately job done and things should be comfortable enough next week but another scrappy Leinster-Connacht game.

I thought it had the potential for a red to be honest but there have been a few reds of late that I thought were more yellows (plenty against the team playing against who I was supporting) so if it's borderline I'm not going to complain it went our way. It was definitely low entry and I'd be surprised if there is a citing.

I've gotten far too sedate in my old age so I like a bit of hype to draw me away from my more innate placidity! I just wish they'd start quoting the build up threads like three red kings so we could get a bit more internet fame.

Yeah Doris is special, I'm not so sure he's as unflinchingly explosive as O'Brien but then with improved S&C in recent years I think a lot of players these days have those benchmarks built into overall playing ability. What sets Doris apart is his smarts. Smarts that might have originated in Connacht but were ultimately solidified by us PSP crowd.

PSP = prawn sambo prosecco

On reflection, I probably would've given MoTM to Keenan. He just excels at every facet of the game. Was solid under the high ball, made important last man tackles and his attacking game is razor sharp.

He's comfortably the best fullback in Ireland and I think probably the best the Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Full backs these days tend to get pigeon holed into two categories...

The reliable, often tall, good under the high ball, safe defensively full back. Your Freddie Stewards, Jordie Barretts, Liam Williams, Halfpennys etc

The attacking, distributing, 2nd playmaker full back. Your McKenzies, Jaminets, Hoggs, Alex Goode etc

The beauty of Keenan, is he's pretty much both of them in one. There's not a weakness in his game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement