Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a camera for a first year media student (used or new) between €300 - €350

• 08-04-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

A relative of mine is looking to get a camera, they are in first year of a media studies course, and after a PC and laptop were bought (and everything else) they are left with a very small budget.

Well... They feel it is very small for a camera, as they can only afford €300 - €350. They are going by what others they have spoken to have said, but I think that is other 1st years.

I don't know anything about cameras (I thought that was a decent amount) and suggested that they ask on here, but I know they won't/haven't yet, so I told their mother I would ask.

If anyone could recommend any camera new or used within that budget, or even some basic pointers about what to look for, or what brands in that budget, it would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First thing to clarify - I assume it needs video capability? If so I think that'd rule out a secondhand DSLR, I think that'd be out of the price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

For dslr with video recording you could probably get Nikon d5300 or similar with standard lens second hand with your budget.

Main question is what is it going to be used for, video capability of that Nikon is OK, but not very user friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks for the replies, Sorry I didn't realise there had been any, I didn't get any notifications.

I am not sure what it would be used for, 1st year for now, 2nd year media studies from September. Maybe some video footage? Maybe not.

If the Nikon d5300 is the only one really in their budget, I guess that would be the one to go for. I think their mother is buying it for their birthday, but has already forked out a hefty amount for other things, so she is likely looking for something that would be used and is decent.

I could try and convince her to hold off until the budget increases, and maybe get themselves to add some more, what sort of price should they be looking at for an entry level - or possibly slightly better - again, used or new wouldn't matter. I know that none of us would have a clue what to get, including maybe the person that it is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i suspect it may not be in stock anywhere, but this Olympus is listed at €280 in Argos

Advertisement