Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the Civil Service

Options
  • 08-04-2022 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering about peoples opinions about leaving the CS. I keep hearing how lucky I am to be in the CS but tbh it's really grating on me. What are peoples thoughts? Is the security worth it? I'm taking the Easter off with AL and also thinking of taking summer off as Carer's leave but part of me is saying take the 2 years on Carer's leave but I think I'd loose my mind not working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Have you considered applying for the "mobility" scheme, assuming it's still open?

Although I suspect you might be in Portlaoise, so there may not be too many options locally.

I can understand if you need to be somewhat circumspect. However, if you're leaving because you're unhappy with something, why not grab the bull by the horns and try to turn things around in your current environment, being assertive as necessary, without going over the top. Your get out of jail card is your own guts, you're obviously not afraid to walk. Use that to bolster your confidence in your negotiations.

I've always been a "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" type of person, which probably shows here.

Anyway, Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Big ass recession on the way. I left the private sector seven months ago and entered the Public Sector because I could see it coming so I'd recommend you stick it out.

If you've worked in the CS all your life, I think you'd be shocked at how the private sector works.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

I wouldn't be just sitting at home whether you're on AL or carer's leave, I'd be using that time to look for a job. Assuming you're a clerical officer outside Dublin and relatively young, I don't think you're mad to be considering your alternatives. I have some friends and family who are COs outside Dublin so I know some of the challenges they face, especially if they want to stay where they are and aren't willing to move. I'd also recommend writing down what is grating on you. No point going from the frying pan to the fire. I know someone who was sick of their 40k call center job but ended up on the phones collecting debt for Revenue on 25K! Write down what exactly is grating on you. What aspects of the job do you hate, what aspects can you tolerate, and what aspects do you actually enjoy. See what stands out, is it the work itself, is it your supervisors, is it the atmosphere... That will give you some idea of where to go next. You might need to study while staying in the CS, maybe you could get exposure to another industry in the evening or weekends and keep the job or maybe it's time to start interviewing and get somewhere else.

What I will repeat though and I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. If your mindset is civil service or staying home on some sort of leave you will be chewed up and spat out in the private sector jobs that pay enough to make leaving the CS worth it. If your recent work history is civil service and going on leave from it that will also be a big red flag to private companies.

So, I think more than looking to leave or sitting at home with the decision (stay or go) looming over you it would do you better to sit down and explore your options. Life is too short to be stuck in a job you hate. It's also unwise to leave secure employment without any plan or other job lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Hi.

I am being bullied in work in the Civil Service and cannot stand my unit anymore. It is affecting my confidence and my sanity. I need to get out. The thing is I’m only 1 year 8 months in the AO grade.

How do I get out or get a transfer outside of Dublin or even anywhere at this stage. It needs to be outside of Dublin as I am not paying over half my salary for this kind of carry on which is rampant in the Civil Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If you are not happy there definitely leave. There are many other options out there to make a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

Start looking for a new job in the private sector or public sector. You won't get a transfer outside of Dublin any time soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

If it is renting that is keeping you down in Dublin you might find that renting costs outside are nearly as bad. Best thing to do is to keep an eye on public jobs.ie and apply for anything that interests you. As what other posters have said, maybe you're better moving private sector and possibly seeing if that will allow you to stay in Dublin and have access to more jobs.

Civil Service - managers (AP and higher) can work from home but others cannot. Shocking what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You'll be eligible for mobility in a couple of months won't you?

Where are APs and higher getting WFM but staff can't BTW - that's mad stuff?

Its one of the central departments. Dunno how much I can say on here. Happy to speak to media anonymously

• Advertisement

There are correct ways of doing things.

Have you exhausted the internal grievance procedure yet?

My understanding of the internal grievance procedures in the CS is that higher management backs their “boys” i.e other higher management. I have been advised not to go down that route as I would get a “reputation of a complainer” in the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have you gone to the union? Seems the best port of call imo

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭tamara25

Avenger, what about taking a career break while trying out another job? That way you won’t lose out.. I work in the civil service also & it’s unbelievable what is going on. People are milking wfh big time. I’m not able to do it as my job is based in the office mostly. I hate where I am also, have applied for a transfer to another section. Just hanging in there waiting for it to come through

Thanks Tamara for your honesty. It is unbelievable what’s going on. Irish people like to trust authority and the Civil Service but it is beyond shocking. In my case, Im talking about managers even taking decisions that openly delay projects significantly just because they’re slightly in convenienced. I wont go into it here. CS is definitely not a growth institution unless you know someone or get on with the gang. You want to change something or speed up change you better watch out.

I think I will try a career break though. Any ideas? My manager is monitoring me minutely to catch every single reason to give me a unsatisfactory review. One single lateness and it is written officially even to HR. I don’t know whose toes I stepped on but I haveno career in the CS anymore. I need quick change of department. Would be great if bullying was a reason to change Department quickly - we’d all be able to move probably then though!

The union isn’t what it used to be. It needs resources tbh. I can list plenty of examples of where it feel short in recent years. Hence, why most departments aren’t listening to it as much as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s just not true. I don’t know where you are working but in my Department all grades have the opportunity to work from home, apart from in specific sections where it wouldn’t e feasible. It’s certainly not grade based. The Civil Service is a big place, so don’t assume everything is the same in every Department/ office.

It is true in my department. 100%. Im homeless at the moment. My boss doesn’t care yet when she needs to mind kids at home she works from home. Makes me sick. If it’s happening in one department people should know.

I have proof that this horrible management is going on and Im happy to speak to media if anyone has any contacts. There are more serious issues than what I’ve mentioned online. It pertains to seriously bad management of public funds and Human Resources also. Its as if management are comfortable going millions over budget then they find any excuse to delay working further eg sitting on interview boards or anything but the job itself. The whole thing is a joke. Also how can you be working from home full-time yet I have to go in despite the role being wfh for the last two years? Has the CS thought about this at all over the last two years?? Yes manager no manager and f the public manager. I ll be so glad when I find a job so I can leave this place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Avenger, as a Civil Servant even speaking to the media is a very bad idea. You signed the state secret act and that will come back and bite you if your ever found out.

• Advertisement

There is the right way and the wrong way to raise issues. Going to the media without first raising a grievance with HR is the wrong way to do things. There are processes to be followed. You'll be ripped apart if you go to the media without first exhausing the internal grievance procedure.

My advice is to go to HR. Raise a grievance and push that process. Try to get union backing for your grievance too.

You sound like you've a lot going on. My advice is to sort out your homeless issue first. Then worry about work. And forget about going to the media. Raise your internal grievance first.

Thanks Kimbot and Battlecorp for your advice which I will folllow. It seems sickening though that CS bullies know they have the State Secrets act we all signed preventing people from speaking out when there is bullying and horrendous project management going on behind closed doors. And may I say it is most definitely bullying in my case. How many more victims are silenced by the State Secrets Act and Senior management refusing to act because there is no interest for them to standing up to this behaviour so in the end Bullies can and will rule the roost in the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Well to be fair if you just went to share a personal story of alleged bulling that wouldn't count as "official state information". Sharing documents and the like could well be though. If it's systemic maybe the protected disclosure route might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PinkSpark

I’m not sure if this will really help but I left the CS due to bad bullying. The bully had a reputation for it in there and had many complaints against them and a high turnover of staff but even after getting the courage to speak up I was the one that ended up being treated like I was wrong for saying anything at all and nothing was ever done about it. The best thing I ever did was get out of there. If it’s affecting your mental health my advice is get out….no job is worth taking a toll on your health and a lot of private sector jobs are starting to do the same ‘perks’ now like flexi time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If your homeless would it not be a bonus to get into the office for heat and shelter?

No point in working from a cardboard box with no electricity in it, no wonder the management don't want you wfh.

Seens to me that they have your best interests at heart bringing you into work for shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

How do you know it's rampant if you're not even there 2 years?

Why not seek an internal transfer to a different unit? Happens all the time and shouldn't be an issue.

Oh sure

like I can sleep in the office!! The problem is rent in Dublin dear and the CS don’t even realise it as most of them have property in Dublin themselves. No wonder the country is the way it is with comments like that.

i can rent a two bed in Sligo with a downstairs office for half the price of an small one bed apartment in Dublin!! Facts. If the CS was ever serious about cutting costs they would have implemented decentralisation and cut the salaries of the fat cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Avenger, just judging by your posts here, the civil service and indeed any large organisation with serious career prospects isn’t for you

You’re acting like a child here. Between talking about your job at less than two years and the union ‘isn’t what it used to be’, you either need to grow up or leave

”Fat cats!” Jesus Christ…

Because I have heard testimonies from fellow CSs.

Because I don’t believe the victim should have to move and learn an entirely new role in an institution that, quite frankly, will question why I was moved in the first place. “Oh she’s a complainer” “Be careful with her she’ll report you to HR” “Don’t give her big projects she had a problem with her last manager” “Difficult to work with she had to be moved last time, think it was her manager that moved her” etc Ive heard it all here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

AH FFS your either available to work or your not

Advertisement