Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 273

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought they scored it perfectly. It was a very close fight. Chimeav earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

War Khamzat !

Some chin on him and Burns. Fight of the Year so far.

Colby next for Khamzat will be massive. Defiantly a main event ppv on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I don't think the sterling pts was a bad decision

he circled a lot but it looked to me sterling landed more albeit a lot of body kicks which weren't effective and yan

was more aggressive

khamzat has some chin, that punch would've knocked out a horse

Whatever about Colby I don't think he'll beat Usman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just watched the fights. Random thoughts:

• Khamzat is the real deal and that war will stand to him more than if he had managed to finish Burns early on. I'd say he learned a lot about his own strengths and weaknesses in that fight and can only get stronger as a result. Fight of the Year (so far anyway).
    • I don't think the Sterling result was a robbery. At the end of the first round the commentators were even making reference to Yan having a reputation for "taking the first round off". I see Dana White criticised the judges but he has his favourites and Sterling most definitely isn't one of them.
    • I can't recall such a one-sided, men's title fight, in a long time, as Volkanowski's win. No idea what the UFC do with him next.
    • The Dern-Torres fight was excellent. Women's strawweight is light years ahead of the other women's divisions
    • If Ian Garry stopped trying to be somebody he's not he might actually be bearable. He showed a hint of it in his post-fight interview sandwiched between utter cringe.
    • Alexey Oleynik - 60 wins, spanning 25 years and leaving his opponent puking into a bucket. Incredible stuff
    • The crowd were a disgrace. There was the way they treated Sterling before, during and after his fight but also them booing lots of fights when it went to the ground or the clinch. They may as well have gone to a BKFC fight night instead for the sort of action they were looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don't think the Sterling/Yan was some sort of shocking decision. Aljo took rounds 2 and 3 easily, and as the commentators themselves pointed out multiple times it was very hard to know who won the first.

There has been some shocking decisions over the past year for sure but that wasn't one of them in my opinion. Yan looked completely dominant in rounds 4 and 5 which can leave people with biased thinking.

Torres/Dern and Burns/Chimaev were the highlights for me, great scraps.

LoL, I was out boozing from noon yesterday. Ignore everything I said. 😂🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Did he dominate Max Holloway in either fight or Brian Ortega? How about Jose Aldo?

Those were his last 4 fights before the Zombie.

All went to decisions. Not sure how that is classed as dominant.

What??

You did see what the model Brian Ortega looked like after their fight, yeah? Plenty of people thought the fight should have been stopped and the doctor had a veryyyy close look.

And Max is renowned for his iron jaw. Even when McGregor was in his pomp, and finishing everyone, he went to a decision with Max.

GSP & Jon Jones, arguably the greatest fighters of all time, are renowned for the decision wins...

The sport is Mixed Martial Arts, not Bare-Knuckle Boxing.

And you did see Volkanovski in a guillotine by Ortega, and come very very close to tapping, or did you miss that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

A very strange argument. If anything all of your points strengthen his case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is no way on hell that anybody could give Sterling round 1. Yan clearly won it

Both Max fights went to a decision and could of went either way. In fact the second fight was split decision.

Ortega got as close as anyone to finishing that fight with the guillotine. It looked over at one stage as that grip was on real tight.

Those points I'm making back up my right to question when a poster says how dominant Volkanovski has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

Except not only the judges but almost all media gave it to Sterling. Only 2 had Yan winning the fight.

I am not even sure what the argument is supposed to be. It was a competitive first round, it's the only round in question and Sterling landed more, Yan landed better. It could easily have gone either way.

People describing it as "robbery" or "terrible decision" or whatever are doing a disservice to the words and actual robberies.

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/13035/Aljamain-Sterling-vs-Petr-Yan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you got the numbers, strikes and significant strikes for the round?

Yan was moving forward the whole round, landed much better strikes. For me he was a clear winner of round 1. I don't understand how anybody could give it to Sterling. I'm not qualified as a MMA judge but I am at boxing. The whole round took place on the feet so I can't understand how anybody could give it to Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Ok, 2 decision wins against who many consider the greatest FW ever, outside of Aldo. He dominated Ortega for 5 rounds, escaping a guillotine and triangle from one of the most dangerous submission artists in UFC. Stop talking nonsense.

Do you want to keep adding excuses and clauses to your argument?

I've stated he hasn't dominated recent fights and given evidence and here you are insert clauses and excuses to say that doesn't count, he's x and he's y so that doesn't count.

Leave it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I just rewatched round 1, at the time I thought it was close but on closer inspection I think it was a Sterling round.

He landed about 8 kicks during first two minutes, Yan landed maybe one strike and threw practically nothing.

From there it was pretty level for the rest of the round.

The stats back this up.

Aljo landed 19/40

Yan 13/26

Sterling was the more active fighter and landed more strikes. Walking someone down and not throwing anything does not win a round. Unless everything else is very even then octagon control can come into it. Here it didn’t need to as Aljo landed more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

He might be the first man to escape an Ortega guillotine, once that man has something locked up it's almost always game over.

I don't put him in the same category as usman as there's nothing between him and holloway esp in that second fight (felt max won that) and people I feel got a little bit carried away on Saturday, yeah he looked amazing but Zombie didn't belong in there at all.

Only max can beat him but Yair could give him a good scrap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I re-watched Round 1 of the Yan-Sterling fight again last night. It was one of those rounds that you often get in the beginning of 5-rounders where both fighters are being cautious and feeling each other out. With those kinds of rounds it often comes down to how much weight the individual judges give to different subtle actions and events.

Yan controlled the centre of the octagon and walked down Sterling for the entire round. Sterling seemed happy to accept this and used constant lateral movement to ensure he didn't end up with his back to the fence and also fought off Yan's attempts to grab hold of him by controlling his hands whenever he got close. This ensured that for all of Yan's pressure he never really benefited from it materially. At the same time Sterling hit Yan with a lot of leg kicks whereas Yan was less active and less accurate when he did swing.

Just looking at the mmadecisions website for the fight. They give various media member's overall scorelines for the fight. I can't see how they scored round 1 specifically but 11 of them scored the fight for Sterling, 2 scored it for Yan and 5 scored it as a draw. (There must have been a lot 10-8's in there considering the scoring - which I don't think was warranted in any round for what it's worth)

• Advertisement
Advertisement