Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice billed for

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Im an appprentice at the moment myself im curently on half the qualified rate and im being charged out at the qualified rate which i would imagine there wouldnt be much change out of €80/hr for it there is no such thing as charging out an apprentice as far as i know of anyways. There is an awful snobbiness to the trades in this country we were only saying today how if we were in a fancy place up the country wed be looked down upon due fo our trade while some fella on half our wage who wears a suit to work everyday would get more of a preference over us. It was also remarked lately too how whenever we went into the credit unions for loans there was remarks made about how could you be on that money youre just an apprentice. I also had a run in with the payroll admin recently as there was money missing from my wages almost every week since i started with this new company she is clearly looking down her nose at us and i reckon its driving her mad that apprentices are clearing more than her per week, she made a remark to our supervisor wondering why we were looking for our full pay as were getting enough as were "only apprentices" she also made it clear she thought that what the qualified fellas here were getting was unheard of and disgraceful that "those lads outside" are getting that money. Little does she realise its the work were doing is carrying her and paying our wage.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Why did you not follow your own advice so, and not avail of the service you took pot shots at the cost of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think there is a great opportunity for handyman electrics... i haven't worked in the trade for a few years but i think i might start doing bits that don't need to be signed off on... sockets lights etc simple stuff... if a few more start doing this this carry-on will end... crazy you ask a person to do a job and two turn up...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Immersions can go on fire if not installed correctly. I saw one in an attic go on fire. House was distroyed. Half the roof was burnt off. Firemen literally flooded the house putting the fire out. Homeowner had to move out for months.

Not saying that your idea is bad one but I wouldn't have a handyman doing any electrics in my home just to save a small amount of money.

I am a qualified electrician but went in a new direction... installing an immersion is very basic... i expect the fault somewhere else in wiring when system not trip... all i am saying is there will be handymen doing what the trade should be protecting instead of screwing people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The fault was in the way it was wired into the immersion. Well that's where the fire started. I assume someone didn't tighten the terminals tight enough.

For anyone reading with boilers or immersion in the attic please make sure that you have a working fire alarm /smoke detection

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sure maybe you save a fortune getting a handyman to do your teeth? Those dentists are far more expensive. What could possibly go wrong ??? 😀😀😀

I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement