Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nct

• 09-04-2022 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi im wondering if there are different rules for a garage putting a car through an nct than for the rest of us,i mean a son of mine went to look at a 131 fiesta,was told it will be sold with a new nct,and it had a new nct 2 days later,how can they get an nct done so quick when we have to wait weeks/months for one??he did buy the car,got a 12 month warranty,and after a week noticed a knocking noise under the car,took it back to the dealer,left it there for 3 hours,was told theres nothing wrong with anything under the car and he must be hearing things,anyway he took it to another garage and had it examined,turned out that the drop links,and anti roll bar bushings were gone,how could it have passed an nct a week earlier with these problems??oh and the hazzard lights never worked either from day one,he was told by the dealer one has to be ordered.yet it passed the nct that the dealer done,something does not sit right with me,the dealer gave him the new nct cert,but not the pass cert listing any faults etc,you know the one,anyway the son is getting this other garage to do the repairs,as he dont want to go back to the dealer,or should he?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Anyone can get an NCT on short notice if you book one late at night

Trade customers are treated the same as regular customers. I have a trade account and almost every car I bring in fails on something.

This isn’t common at all but if you know someone in the NCT centre they can test your car and pass it. A friend of a friend knows someone in an NCT centre who regularly does this.

And they should definitely go back to the garage if they have 12 months warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your son should report the car to the NCT, if it's someone on the inside passing these cars they can hopefully be thrown out on their ear before their actions kill someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Has he checked that it's a valid NCT cert? Easy enough to get a fake cert and a hell of a lot easier than trying to bribe a tester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks all for comments,im a bit suspicious,so how would i go about checking if the nct cert is genuine?and even if it is,how could it have passed with those faults,? i myself have an nct appointment for may after a 6 week wait,yet a garage.or in our case this garage had one done in less than 3 days,???i will look further into it, something does not sit right here,and dealer more or less saying the son is hearing things when another garage found the problems,dealer actually said it was the exhaust rattling and was no harm,im not finished yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you go to NCT.ie and put in the reg it will say when it expires, a fake cert will not be on the system.

If I went on to the NCT website at circa 9.30pm tonight when the cancelled tests are released I would be able to get a test this week at one of the test centres within 20 miles of my house, no problem. Trade customers would have even faster appointments available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Use the link below to check if the expiry dates match.

And its already been explained to you that anyone can get an NCT within 3 days if they log on at 11:30pm

Faults can occur right after an NCT btw.

Advertisement