Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave & Parent Leave - Tax Credits

Options
  • 09-04-2022 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Evening All,

My wife is expecting, she is an employee of the HSE. She will get 6 months paid maternity cover, then can take 16 weeks unpaid leave and then goes on the 7 weeks parents leave with social welfare payment.

For the 16 weeks unpaid leave can she get paid social welfare payment?

During the 16 weeks unpaid leave and 7 weeks parent leave can she transfer her tax credits to me as her husband?

Would appreciate any insight from anyone who knows the ins and outs of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Not sure on the tax credit part, but if joint assessed it'll all balance anyway, and if not a P21 form next year will sort it in form of a rebate.

Regards social welfare for the 16 weeks unpaid, afraid not. It is just that, 16 unpaid weeks.

Be grateful your wife gets full pay for 26 weeks... Mine didn't, her employer didn't top up, so she got 245 a week for 26 weeks and then 0 euro the next 16.

Then a second baby arrived 15mths later. 2 pregnancies with only state payments obliterated our 12K of savings. It's almost a year later and still haven't got a euro back in savings....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Nope, no social welfare payments to cover the unpaid weeks.

What I did was save a chunk (and by that I mean as much as I could manage to) of my monthly wage for as much of my pregnancy and paid mat leave as I could.I could save more of my wage when I was on the first 24 weeks of my mat leave, because I was at home more.If you both contribute to bills -as we did - I just tried to make sure we had enough there to cover my share of the bills for the unpaid leave.

You don't transfer tax credits. You just apply for your balancing statement at year end from Revenue and any discrepancies are repaid at the beginning of the next year.

Advertisement