Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Assembly Elections - A rerun of the GFA referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wondered and was waiting for which victim would be exploited this time, like the Quinn's were exploited for our GE. I see it is Lyra McKee and a two year old letter.

Lyra McKee's sister's response is such a very powerful accusation of the media's culpability in this and a strong rebuttal of the attempt to use her sister for political gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Donaldson is doing himself no favours appearing at rallies with that angry little man Bryson and other loyalists, its not helping him either the rumour that last year he wanted to jump ship to the UUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is even more than that, a powerful accusation of those who supported terrorism during the Troubles and who continue to explain and excuse it. As the promoter of her post on these boards, do you accept that "neither land nor nationhood is a legitimate reason for murder"?

Do you also accept that "thousands of people were needlessly murdered in the Troubles and thousands of families were thrust into unimaginable pain for NOTHING."?

If you don't, you are like the coward hiding behind an unfinished revolution and exploiting Lyra McKee sister's words for political gain.

Didn't see the UTV debate, but according to Sam McBride he came off worst, isolated on the panel.

I have been unequivocally clear on this blanch unlike some who promote the one side was to blame.

It was all wrong from the start. Nobody had a legitimate right to kill, oppress or suppress.

• Advertisement

I think the final answer on the Saoradh issue can be left to Colum Eastwood who pretty clearly explained the difference between the SDLP and Sinn Fein.

"Those people will not be involved with me in trying to build a new Ireland, they have nothing to offer".

Or Naomi Long:

"When it comes to engaging with paramilitary organisations, the only conversation we should he having with them is when they are going to stop."

Talking about shared objectives as Sinn Fein did sets the wrong tone completely.

And if your oft presented hero John Hume had done what Colum suggests????

Colum is the modern equivalent of Eddie McGrady/Mallon who tried to hamper and stop Hume.

Happy to pile onto a deliberate story from the Unionist press meant to negatively affect political rivals.

Anyone exploiting victims like this should be ashamed of themselves. She, just like the Quinn's will be dropped like a hot potato once her usefulness is exhausted.

Ah, will you go away with that nonsense about exploiting victims. Calling out those who would give succour, support and alliance to those who created the victims is not exploiting victims.

Hume?

Bit harsh, what he did, bringing paramilitaries into the political domain is what any true democrat should be attempting.

They repudiated the advances blanch. At least the narrative that they are one and the same is unsustainable now.

What is clear and evident is that Sinn Fein in 2022 still have no problem creating alliances with those who support terrorist violence as a means to a political end. Despite what you protest, this wasn't about ending violence, it was about a border poll campaign. Disgraceful stuff from SF as usual.

• Advertisement

I'll leave you to reread the highlighted bits and to consider how you are being manipulated again.

It is a disgraceful letter, and no spin necessary. The statement from Lyra McKee's sister is irrelevant.

No, Sinn Fein are exploiting the grief of Lyra McKee's sister for political ends.

How do you know? Maybe someone came round and knocked on her door and suggested politely that she should publish it, after all, that has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Letter? It's a post from Facebook from what I can see. Also in the opening paragraphs have you any idea who approached her for a response?

Fair point on FB.

No idea who approached her if anyone.

Nicola Mallon SDLP responding to a consistent poor showing in the polls on Morning Ireland

'The SDLP are not interested in titles'. 😁

Gerry Fitt, Tom Kelly AND Margaret Ritchie etc say different Nicola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Watching the BBC NI debate, quite entertaining! Donaldson getting a lot of time but some of his positions are laughable. Watching O’Neill, Jaysus she looks shifty. Beattie not getting much of a look in. Eastwood and Long look the most sensible & trustworthy of the lot.

Position is interesting. Michelle centre of all, Jeffrey on her shoulder, Beattie other shoulder and the others in the wings. Is this the BBC view of state of things?

If a party leader is important, how can anyone look at Michelle O’Neill and see her eyes and vote for that insincerity. Donaldson getting a roasting but doesn’t give a toss, water off a 🦆 back, protocol, protocol, protocol. God help the poor voters of NI. What did they do to deserve the likes of them pair.

Naomi Long talking about the health services now.. hmm hardly a great personal example. Without wishing to be rude, how can she be so overweight.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

'Fat people can't talk about health services'.

What bollocks, this post was nothing more than a dig at Naomi Long's weight and nothing more.

Spare me the disingenuous 'without wishing to be rude' nonsense as well.

For anyone looking at the debate, that was a fair comment in real time. And a perfectly natural one. Of course, fat people can discuss the health services. I'm sure Naomi is quite happy to discuss them, but the irony still exists. If you had looked up this thread earlier, you'll see that I'd hope that Alliance get a great vote and that she does well.

As for the debate itself, first time as a southern voter I've seen all five leaders of the main parties up there lined up side by side. And it was interesting to see them in the face, side by side. Voters use their gut instincts as well and party leaders are important. Here is my synopsis which is feck all use since it's not our vote:

Donaldson got most airtime, was full of bluster and conviction but only those most blindly loyal could possibly not see through the DUP charade of trying to disassociate themselves from Brexit and the protocol etc. If there was a fault in the others, it was that they did not nail him to floor on it, despite trying. He had some stooge in the audience who managed to get his rambling spake in twice.

O'Neill hung back a fair bit, my main issue with her as a leader is her eyes and demeanor, contemptuous at times. Of all of them she's the one I'd trust least as a person. Compare that to Mary Lou who at least has an open and frank demeanor.

Beattie, didn't hear too much from him except towards end. Seemed to offer a more reasonable type of way forward.

Eastwood, earnest and honest. A man I could trust. Was the main one to repeatedly challenge Donaldson as to whether he'd form a government.

Long, didn't hear too much from her but clearly represents a more moderate NI citizen. A trustworthy person. Could do with more charisma as a leader.

Who would I vote for if in NI? Alliance/ SDLP/ UUP. Wouldn't give either of the others the steam of my piss.

Did Michelle say that a border poll was off the agenda for the next decade and that only a conversation should happen? I saw that reported and would be very surprised, if true.

I can't recall exactly what she said but it'd be meaningless anyway, something about learning from Brexit I think. You couldn't believe a word out of her mouth in matters relating to border polls.

We all know that Irish unity is the raison d'etre of Sinn Féin and as Beattie pointed out, they are quite entitled to have that priority.

So regardless of what Michelle would be saying, we can be 100% certain that a border poll will be high on the agenda if SF are to power share in Stormont and particularly as the largest party. And likewise if they get their boots under the table down here in the Republic.

I have no doubt but that the back room people and strategists behind SF look at every policy they devise and put it through the filter - will this further Irish unity, border poll etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She has endometriosis which can cause weight gain.

Advertisement