Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greasing trimmer blades

Options
  • 10-04-2022 5:31pm

My hedge trimmer says lubricate the blades with gear grease. What is gear grease? would wd40 do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MakersMark

.don't use WD40...its a penetrant, and not a true lubricant.

I use white lithium spray...its on sale on Lidl now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think what the instructions probably mean is keep the gear box topped up with grease.

But an example of a youtuber getting it wrong!

Just get a tube of grease and take the nut highlighted off. The tube will screw in where the nut was and you can squeeze some grease in. A tube of grease will last you for ages only needs about 10g occasionally.

And yeah WD40 is OK for the blade part but I use Lithium grease overwinter to protect them and wipe it off when I use them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Not the gearbox it's the cutting blade I'm asking about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As an example I don't see any grease here? I'm sure I can find plenty of other instructions that don't mention grease on the cutters.

WD 40 is not as good but an alternative to the resin remover.

The only time I put grease on the cutters (other than winter storage because my shed gets very damp) is when I completely dismantle the cutter bars and then I put a smear along the central bar and under the long top washer plate. A location you can't even get at normally.

I really don't see a point to greasing the cutter bar between the cutters because the grease will come off very quickly and if you use to much of it it will end up on the cut branches.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Doesn't matter what you can find

The manual says

"Apply a small amount of suitable lubricant, like gear grease, on

the cutting device (1) to retain a good cutting performance"

In the manual (1) points to the blades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a lot of experience with Stihl - including rebuilding gearboxes. Never rely on the grease nut/tube method. I remove the backplate & apply the grease manually by packing the gearbox. The main bearings are prone to failing.

WD 40 can dissolve the grease so don't use it or if you do then let is run off & dry without it getting into the gearbox. I use chain oil on the blades.

Advertisement