Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newark or JFK when staying in Manhattan?

Options
  • 10-04-2022 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit NYC for 10 days between 28th June - 8th July. I will be travelling alone and staying at the Residence Inn/Central Park 54th St for the first 3 nights and then the World Center hotel in lower Manhattan next to the 9/11 memorial for the final 7 nights.

There are two flight options I am considering (flying from Dublin):

United Airlines into Newark (€785)

28th June 9:20am-11:20am, return 8th July 10pm-10am

Delta Airlines into JFK (€756)

28th June 11:10am-1:30pm, return 8th July 9:30pm-9:10am

I guess its a much of a muchness, and so will come down to United vs Delta, Newark vs JFK. Any big differences between these two routes? I've heard JFK makes more sense for families/large groups, but for a single person is Newark just as feasible? I will very likely be using public transport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Pistachio19

We flew into Newark and got a train into Penn Station from where we could walk to our hotel on West 37th Street. When arriving at the ticket machine there was a man there in a high viz who we assumed to be staff but was just a guy who assists you in getting your tickets in exchange for a few dollars. Nice guy but unnecessary to have anyone assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

JFK would be handy for both your hotels- the E train would get you to your first hotel, the A from lower Manhattan on the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Any difference between the Delta Airbus A330-300 and United 777-200?

I've read apparently United doesn't have any TV services?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

As above, if flying to Newark, you have to get NJ transit to Penn station and then get an E to 7th ave / 53rd and walk up.

From JFK, you can get the LIRR to Penn and same as above or you can just jump on an E all the way to 7th ave 53rd

Probably quicker on the E as once your on the train you don’t have to switch. Penn can be a maze if you don’t know your way around and then you still have to wait for the E to take you the last bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's a number of years since I was in JFK. Back then it was a convoluted public transit journey to Manhattan. Had to go to Jericho (I think) on Long Island and take train from there. Has that changed now and is there direct train from JFK? We took a fixed fare taxi instead to Manhattan anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I know I can google it all, but someone who has done the journey recently might know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

JFK-AirTrain-Subway is probably the cheapest option

"The AirTrain is a tram that circles all of the terminals at JFK and connects to two different transit stations outside of the airport with service to the city: Jamaica Station and Howard Beach. If your final destination is in Manhattan, it's most likely that you need to transfer at Jamaica Station. While the AirTrain is free if you're using it to travel between terminals, you'll need to pay a fee of $7.75 if your starting or ending point is outside of the airport. Once you're off the AirTrain at Jamaica Station, follow signs for the Sutphin Boulevard–Archer Avenue subway station. In addition to the AirTrain ticket, you'll also need a subway ticket, which costs an additional $2.75. The available train options are the E, J, and Z lines, and which one you take depends on where you're going in the city."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Both JFK and Newark have set taxi and limousine fares into Manhattan. No need to fanny about with trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Yes and no. Fare to JFK is about $70 after tolls and tip. Subway is $10

Also going by subway is about an hour, that is not always the case by taxi. It’s taken me over 2 hours sometimes, depending on the time of day and how many crashes are along the way.

Also, depending on what terminal you arrive in, getting a taxi is a pain. I know with Terminal 5 (Aer Lingus) you are walking to the Airtrain to get to the taxi rank

If you’re with a group, a taxi makes sense. If you’re on your own and don’t have much luggage, I would go by subway.

Advertisement