Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty(?) composite door

Options
  • 10-04-2022 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

in 2018 I bought a composite front entrance door, supposed to be high-security. After a few months, I noticed during a day of heavy wind and rain that some water was leaking inside the door onto the living room, not a big issue if I'm at home and can clean up right away, which was the case back then, so I did not contact the seller and did not have the issue for many months.

Eventually I had the same problem, again during a very windy and rainy day... basically, in extreme weather conditions the door is letting some water in. Last year I contacted the seller for a repair of an electric blind they also sold me, while they were at my place they also adjusted the hinges of the front door and applied some silicone to it, saying this would have fixed the problem, if it didn't I would have had to replace the rubber seals. They only charged me for the fix of the blinds, which was nice of them, but in the future this won't be the case, if they only have to visit me for the door issue.

Now, for a few months I did not have any issues, but recently some water leaked on a bad weather day. Now I don't think the issue is with the rubber seal, but most likely with the hinges, as I can feel the door is not closing perfectly as it used to when they adjusted the hinges... I mentioned that to the seller, and they said it's absolutely normal to have to adjust the hinges every 12-18 months, so I would need to call them every time to at my expenses. In theory I could learn to do it myself, but there's no guarantee I would succeed.

I have never heard about having to do such frequent maintenance on a front door, and the door already has a drip bar, also as I said before I don't think replacing the seal will fix the problem. What are my options, please?

I don't think there's any warranty left with the door, but that's not the point as my concern is really for the long-term maintenance requirement. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rob if it is just the hinges that need adjusting, you will know this by looking at the gap between door and frame when door closed, it should be uniform width on top and side, and be checking the door closes as intended, hinges are easy to adjust yourself. There are a number of easy to follow videos on YouTube, it will only take a few minutes and requires an simple Alan key set and/or a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would certainly expect adjustment at least once as expected as everything settles into place, the manufacturer will probably specify every 12-18 months to cover themselves but unless you have a very unique one-off front door it likely would not need adjustment on that schedule (had two here in separate houses and never needed any adjustments bar the lock being lubricated once in a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

Thanks to both, when I bought the door I was told there was no maintenance needed, now that I think about it.

Advertisement