Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering Advice

Options
  • 10-04-2022 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi folks, just looking for some advice on anybody that has gone through fostering as last month we met with a agency and unfortuantely our application was rejected.

The application was rejected on what they say is religious grounds, as we stated that we didn't want a muslim child, due to dietary requirements and not on religious grounds.

In the home visit we were clear about this and at no stage during the home visit did they say that this would be an issue. The following day I received a phone call from the agency and the social worker was extremely pushy on this matter and imo very unprofessional, however at this stage I still didn't think this would be an issue and expected our application to go to next stage.

After a few days I received another call where I was advised that the application was rejected on relegious grounds, as I outlined above. Now my sister is also an approved forster carer with the same agency and she had said that she also wouldn't consider muslim child, and even went further by saying she would not consider travellers or black children, yet she was approved. I stated this to the social worker, however this was brushed off by her, and she advised that there can be different circumstances in the applications, which is nonsense, as both my sister and me are similiar in our families and working life, we both have good paying jobs, including our other half's and both have children (two).

I asked could our case be reviewed, however I was told no, and that was it. My wife is very distraught by the decision. Just eager to hear other peoples opinions, maybe the agency are entitled to say no in this circumstances and maybe we are wrong. My sister has advised me to just move on and go with another agency, however I am not in favour of doing this. Thank you.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea Muslim kids don't like Rashers or Sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Notmything

Assuming not a troll, given the username, not sure what you hope to gain.

Assuming this was private agency that refused you they are unlikely to change their minds if you are belligerent with them. Fwiw there may well be valid reasons to treat similar applications differently, but it's also just as likely they decided you were not worth the effort.

You could approach Tusla and see if they are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

How the **** was your sister approved should be the question here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

@Rasher_Sausage
    I am closing this thread - please PM me if you want it re-opened.
    Thanks,
    S

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement