Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaaaand, it's out of the park

Options
  • 11-04-2022 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭

I love articles like this. Not sure if the theory will stand up in practice, but I love the centrifugal force idea.

When I was a kid I used to tie heavy nuts onto the end of a piece of string and see how far I could get them. But the one problem I always had was timing the release so that it would go in the correct direction. If these people are anything less than perfect on release, there's going to be a lot of pieces to pick up.

Do all space launches have to be from a coastal location as near the equator as possible? I would have thought something like this, with a small footprint, could be suited to a high altitude launch location

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Slingatron isn't a weight on a string, it's like a marble in a frying pan where very small movements at the handle can get it wizzing around.

Ultracentrafuges have some serious rotor rpm and insane g forces and an edge speed that's scary.

Advertisement