Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortage Repayments and Supplementary welfare allowance

• 11-04-2022 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm curious about mortage reyaments in the event one has to apply for supplementary welfare allowance in the unfortunate occurance that one has lost one's job. I presume it's mean tested and would swa cover all mortage repayments except to 30-40 euro pw as the same as rent allowance? I would appreciate an explanation of mortage principal and interest repayments and how it would tie into this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm afraid NOT, there is no current support mechanism in the SW system to help towards mortgage payments. Indeed Mortage interest supplement ended in 2014 and wasn't a welfare support in the true sense.

There are supports regarding Rents through HAP and rent supplement (short term and means tested) but absolutely no supports towards mortgage payment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If you lose your job and are going to be unable to pay your mortgage you have to alert your lender immediately and by law, they have to work with you to find a solution of some kind.

I would also encourage you to make contact with your local MABS office and they will assist you to manage all your outgoings.

As Dempo quite rightly says, SWA is not an option when it comes to mortgage repayments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And @TooTired123 completely correct re contacting your lender and Mabs (absolutely brilliant) 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement