Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SNES is 30 in the EU - SNES Appreciation Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭shockframe

PS1/N64 games look a bit messy on original hardware now but some of them look sublime on emulation upscaled to HD.

SNES was the pinnacle of 2D. PS1/N64 was the somewhat shoddy early days of 3D. It probably wasn't until the HD era(PS3,xbox 360) that 3D gaming was truly perfected.

Post edited by shockframe on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I just remembered another super FX game I had on the SNES: Doom. Crazy times. My mother saw me playing Doon and then Killer Instinct, told me she thought Nintendo games only had Mario in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

The pinnacle of 2D hand drawn pixel art definitely went to the Neo Geo AES. A stunningly beautiful system for 2d games, with an equally stunning price.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was a huge Wipeout fan, and played the first two on the PS to death.

One of my few proud gaming moments involved being at a Gamesworld party night and clearing the original game, all leagues, while gargled... good times.

The second one is a quantum leap from the original though, and the third one changed it up again.

I still have them all in my collection, including three versions of Wip3out, as there were two editions in Europe and a unique version in Japan.

The PS2 game was terrible, but the PSP/PSVita and most recent edition/rerelease for the PS4 are outstanding.

F-Zero GX though... that gives it a run for it's money, I'm not alone to wish Nintendo would hurry up and release a HD remaster of that one on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very very little work needed for F-Zero by Nintendo. Dolphin scales the game up to modern resolutions, and the original assets still look incredible. The game could pass as a PS4 era game almost just with simple resolution increases and a wide screen patch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I know it's a bit off-topic but if you're playing F-Zero GX in Dolphin you can also enter the code that enables the Arcade version of it, since both were included on the same disc.

I too would like a new F-Zero game, but tbh I'm very happy with Fast RMX as a substitute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have Fast RMX on both WiiU, a physical copy, and Switch and I never really got into them.

Certainly, futuristic racing games have always compared poorly to Wipeout and FZero, though I enjoyed Powerdrome on the PS2/Xbox (itself a sequel to an Amiga game which itself inspired Wipeout!) and the two Roll Cage games on the PS, which were outstanding.

The latter games got a spiritual sequel in the form of Grip: Combat Racing which was released on the Switch and is both good and also cheap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find the PS360 era the ugliest era from 3D games. Unreal engine having a very homogenous look. Poor texture quality. Total disregard for a stable framerate, frame pacing and screen tearing. And the post processing piss filter taking all the colour out of games. Of course there's exceptions to the rule but there was a real homogenous look to most games of the era which is very hard to go back whereas I don't have that issue with PS1 or PS2 and other systems from the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a bonanza of incredible games for the PS1, many of which were Japan-only or at best niche releases in the West. It's a shame so many of them are impossible to find, especially after the glory days of the PS3/PSP PSN Japanese store.

It feels like the SNES has been a tad better served in terms of re-releases of various rarities, but then again the Wii Virtual Console was a uniquely great time to dive into the vastness of the back catalogue. Now we need to rely on the whims of Nintendo.

At least the Wii is readily opened up with easy-to-install custom firmware, and then you can revisit much of the Virtual Console content via... means...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

What a great machine this was, I also remember wanting an NTSC version as someone mentioned earlier..

Zelda, SFII are etched into my gaming memory.. Just brilliant

My favourite console by far

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I suppose it had some good games..

Nah, SNES was awesome. Pilot wings, Starfox, zel-fuckin-da

Donkey Kong country and all the other Rare games were awesome

I spent so many hours playing super tennis..

And then Mario Kart. Trying to get the fastest lap on the ghost tracks where you needed to get the timing perfect to slide into the jump over the short cut...

The SNES was fantastic but as seminal as SMW was, I never got the Mode 7 joy others expressed about Mario Kart, FZero and Pilot Wings.

I suppose I was already an addict to the fare on the Megadrive by then, and the racing titles there.

By comparison, when the N64 came out, I just had to buy it at launch having seen an imported console in Gamestop.

Seeing Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 playing, getting to finally play them at home? It changed the world.

Advertisement