Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shift Allowance on Annual Leave

Options
  • 11-04-2022 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Am I right in saying that shift workers are entitled to receive their shift allowance when they take annual leave and while sick?

This has been the case in all of my jobs where I have worked shift but my present one thinks otherwise…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Employers don't have to pay shift allowances outside of your working hours. Often they do, especially if you are on an annual salary, but as far as I know, it's not a requirement and you only need to be paid the base rate on leave and your employer is having your leave calculated at the base rate. Its not nice to discover these things later, but you can talk to your employer about it.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm no experience it's unusual for an employer to pay this for times you don't actually work.

The allowance is compensation for the inconvenience of shift work. If you're on leave, there's no inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Some employers definitely do pay shift premium on holidays, if the last shift you worked was on nights for example you'll get paid the night shift premium for the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭Tow

If hourly paid, you leave pay is based of your actual average hourly pay for the previous 13 ( from memory) weeks. Therefore, if shift allowance pushes up your hourly pay your holiday pay also increases. So to answer your question, no you do not get paid Shift Allowance when on holidays but your Holiday Pay (hourly rate) is increased by the Shift Allowance.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement