Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red poll? Linnet? Something else?

Options
  • 11-04-2022 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Can anyone confirm what kind of bird is in the photos attached? I'm sorry the quality is so bad.

East Co. Galway.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Redpoll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thank you!

That's what I thought and google suggested. I don't ever remember seeing them before so happy out I have some visiting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They are a bird that ranges far and wide - evening during the breeding season

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Similar question, photos (as you can see) really, really, really to the point that no red is visible, but I didn't want to disturb them.

There was a couple of birds eating on the ground in my garden, earlier - I assumed a male with more marked colouring and a female, slightly duller. They looked like a slightly paler version of a sparrow, but with bright red markings on their chests (like I said, one more than the other). I couldn't make out any red markings on their heads, or if they were there, they weren't as bright as the markings on their chests, so I'm at a loss. Their bodies (without the tails) were about the size of a dandelion's flower. Any idea? Lesser redpoll? Linnet? Something else?

Thanks.

Advertisement