Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shapers

• 11-04-2022 8:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭

When I was younger you often heard of people described as Shapers.

Witty Deco could be heard shouting down the bar "Hey buddy, I think you dropped a triangle there ya bleedin shaper" to much mirth and guffawing from Anto and Dano.

I don't think I ever really knew what one was. Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

A poser.

Walking with a strut.... dropping shapes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Can someone point me to the Boards translator......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dropping shapes 🤣

What does that even mean?? Do people strut? Other than Liam Gallagher obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, shapers would be swinging their arms. Throwing “shapes”. You really needed a Scanda jacket with a Ben Sherman shirt to go with the walk.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Person with notions

One of the biggest insults when I was a kid was " they think their great "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

See also Connor McGregor... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well you've just picked a pretty classic example of the 90s shaper strutt. That's exactly what it referred to.

Hmm, I that's quite clearly done as ironic thing, the billi-strutt (see also Vince MacMahon). The 90s shaper was entirely serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

McGregor walking out of court the other day reminded me of shaper's when I was a kid.He was throwing so many shape's he looked like a game of Tetris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Look at the dome on yer man throwin shapes. StateOfHim. Wrote-off.

That's what I remember from Finglas in the 80s anyway..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dome on your man 🤣🤣

I assume that is head?

Any kind of good dancer in a dishco or club was automatically branded a shaper. Only males funnily enough. Girls don't seem to be shapers at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Your man over there dropping triangle's to beat the band... 😅

Haven't heard that in a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a new one in me. Never heard the term before today. It must be a Dub thing that never gained traction.

Probably. It was common in the working class areas of Dublin in the 90s. I hadn't heard it for years until I heard a junkie in his 40s use it on Talbot Street recently.

Different areas use different words. For example in parts of Ireland sledging is used instead of slagging. I never heard this word outside of boards 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

“RTE are makin' tapes, takin' breaks and throwin' shapes.

This is heaven, this is hell.

Who cares? Who can tell?

(Anyone for the last few Choc Ices, now?)

Oh, Lisdoonvarna (etc., etc.)”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

McGregor would be an example.

That's right. Never even twigged that it was in that song. Not just a Dublin thing then

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Long time since I heard it, but yes, definitely used to use the word shapers, back in the day, in the West.

Very descriptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A lad wearing fancy gear that is not in sync with his peers , like the first lad in town with a leather jacket

or a member of a new music or fashion trend that hasn’t caught on in the town yet

a man who can dance

a member of a band playing in the local pub who not only plays the songs but also has the moves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think if you looked shaper up in the dictionary you'd find a pic of Conor Mcgregor beside it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeah McGregor and his ilk are a good example of "modern shapers"...

Balenciaga shoes and Canada goose jackets to beat the band

Only ever heard “sledging” used in relation to players winding up, or abusing, opposition players in GAA.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

It happens in soccer as well. Just trying to get into the head of, or put off, the opposition. Recently enough, Chris Wood of Newcastle kept meowing at West Ham’s Kurt Zouma.

Think there were complaints that it had gone too far a few times in Gaelic football and that’s why it was being discussed on Newstalk’s ‘Off the Ball’ etc. Had never heard the term before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I believe its the Dublin version of the Jamaican Hotstepper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,921 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Incorrect. I was voted "An Shaper is Mó" in the Gaeltacht one year. My prize was a bag of Meanies, which my sister ate on me when I got home.

In my part of Dublin (Templeogue) a shaper wasn't a skanger thing, it was more someone who was confident and not afraid of people looking at them. Someone who considered themselves a good dancer would definitely have fallen into the category, as mentioned above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No , if you look up orangutan in a suit , Mc Gregor comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

a shaper wasn't a skanger thing, it was more someone who was confident and not afraid of people looking at them. Someone who considered themselves a good dancer would definitely have fallen into the category, as mentioned above!

That would have been the context in the West as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Definition might differ somewhat depending on location. Where I'm from, a shape/shaper is a poser. Back in the 1980s when I was a kid, a Shape would have gel in their hair, a tan, designer labels, a confident walk, a BMX with Mag wheels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

it was always throwing shapes, like posers or charmers if you like, the pigeon pics above are perfect !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s was an early to mid ‘90’s thing…a classmate of mine whose aunt became a flight attendant was able to get certain labels on her travels that were not easily attainable here… he’d come to school in a pair of dayglo Reebok pumps, nafnaf jacket, stonewash wrangler jeans two sizes too big and whatever top… the jeans were way too big yet he still had them arranged that the tongue of the pumps would be hanging out.

His ‘supposed’ address was Castleknock but a fella in the class lived near him… “ahhh no he lives beside me, in Blanchardstown”.

He had the look, and that walk….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It was a term I heard in my teens in the midlands late 90's / early 00's. The phrase "King Shaper / Heart Breaker" or "throwing a few shapes". I think it was used to describe a guy who was good looking but he knew it,, a guy who was (over) confident in himself, a guy who knew some moves - dancing or otherwise! It wasn't really a negative comment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The term "shaper" came from "shaping up", as in when a fight is brewing and two lads are squaring up to eachother. If either one of them was bouncing around the place, fists up and such, he was "throwin' shapes".

When you had one gobshite going around doing a McGregor/Gallagher-style walk in an attempt to look cool or intimidating, he was shaping up to everyone, and thus he was "throwin' shapes everywhere", making it look like he wanted someone to start on him.

This then evolved into "shaper" to describe anyone doing one of these stupid walks anywhere. A couple of times I'd heard this used to describe posers in general, but in general it was mostly the Liam Gallagher-style gobsh1tes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Advertisement