Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another hedge thread

Options
  • 12-04-2022 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I've browsed the search function and seen a few past threads on hedges but varying opinions. Thought I'd ask for myself.

I'm getting ready to flatten out and drain a large unkempt mess of ground behind my back fence. It's nearly a 3rd of an acre, and borders onto stables and farm yard. I had hoped to extend the front wall, but realistically that's a €20k plus job so it's out the window.

My wish list for a hedge:

* eventual aim is about 5-6ft high, and hopefully will get there as soon as possible so want something that will grow reasonably fast.

* I want a good thick hedge, something that will knit together well without gaps.

* evergreen preferable. I don't want to be sweeping up leaves all year!

* if it flowers that would be good, to break up the monotony of plain solid green in a 100m stretch.

* needs to be non toxic, I know some hedges can be harmful to livestock if eaten. There are sometimes horses next door so need to be wary of that.

That's all I can think of for now, any suggestions and sources welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hawthorn would tick all the boxes except evergreen, and would be very suitable to that situation. The leaves are very small and do not really make a mess, it has flowers and is pretty fast growing. With almost any hedge you would need to allow it to grow a bit freely - ie don't clip it into total submission if you want flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

With horses next door they will browse most hedges and would limit your options. I'd go for hawthorn in that situation. They're only bare for a few months and even then are quite architectural. Planted as a staggered double row they thicken well and are a haven for wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hawthorn with maybe a few holly, blackthorn or mountain ash thrown in. Would be cheapest if bought as bare root next Nov-Feb or so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm hoping for something I can plant now, even if it's pretty low for this year.

There is a low fence there at the minute, which I might just leave in place to keep the horses at bay. Although they're not usually loose in there, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of one getting loose and being poisoned.

Another on the wish list, needs to withstand a fair bit of wind and frost.

• Advertisement

Its too late for any bare root hedging at this stage, and if you have a fair distance to plant it would be a pity to spend unnecessary money on potted, especially something as easy as hawthorn. If you just happened to come across a nursery selling off end of winter bare root bushes I would nearly be inclined to chance it, its pretty hard to kill hawthorn.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you mean that I can plant the potted version now, but not bare root?

I don't mind paying a bit extra for potted, bearing mind that the alternative to a hedge was a €20k+ wall lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you didn't fancy the hawthorn you could always try a sceach hedge 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In the winter months, you can buy and plant bare root hedging, which means it's sold without a pot; the roots are literally bare. It means they can be sold in bags of typically 100 and are a tiny fraction of the bulk and weight of buying plants in pots. You'd easily get them for well under a euro a plant at the volume you mentioned. The problem now is that as the buds have burst, you can't get them and the plants (if you can source them) could cost maybe ten times as much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Hawthorn is whitethorn and has red berries.... blackthorn has would you believe black berries called (sloes) for gin etc. I would also go with whitethorn. I planted some a few weeks ago and the guy i bought of said it was getting very late so i would leave.. When you do plant i would advise get small plants and cut close to the ground so as they spread and fill close to the ground and put in fairly close... the brown woody effect looks good in the winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think holly might be sold in pots and might be another option for the hedge. I'd also consider Darwin's barberry if you can find a nursery who can supply it. It also has prickly leaves to discourage grazing, is evergreen, looks good at the moment with nice bright flowers and is attractive to bees.

Happy gardening!

I would never have thought of holly for a hedge... is it very slow growing... i heard a friend once say you plant holly for your grandchildren...

You can buy potted plants and plant them any time of year, though spring and autumn are most advisable. Bare root are only supposed to be planted up to March as the leaves start to burst at that stage. You are looking at maybe 5 to 10 times the price for potted hawthorn as against bare root - you can even now buy bare root from the Garden Shop at €37 for 25 plants, while a single potted plant will cost you anything from €8 to €15 each. It would be mad to spend that much rather than wait until autumn.

If you were just planting an odd bare root shrub I would chance it even now (depending on the type) but the logisitics of getting in an entire hedge while keeping the plants in good condition would suggest it is not a good idea.

I think an occasional holly in amongst a hawthorn hedge looks nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

What is the budget, and what is the timetable. It might be difficult to get potted hawthorn at any time, they are ideally used in rural settings rather than urban gardens.

as advised, hawthorn seems the best bet. Will eventually flower in Spring and bear berries later on. Maybe interspersed with holly for interest.

Both tough and hardy and withstand both neglect and hard trimming.

Multiple varieties of hawthorn as well

Budget and timetable are unsure. I'm still waiting for some prices for dredging the wilderness. Septic tank is in that area too so that needs to be worked around.

I had in mind that fencing the area was going to cost a fair few grand so I suppose that would be my budget for a hedge.

Timetable, ASAP although I realise that my timing stinks. If I do manage to get the area flattened and sown, (how fast would a new lawn grow?) then I'd at least have the area laid in the next few months.

By the sound of things I'll have to live without any border until the end of the year.

Is hawthorn the only real option here?

• Advertisement

I'd be reluctant to put in a lawn before the hedge. The lawn will not really be walkable till next summer even if you get it in in the next couple of weeks. You are saying the budget is several thousand, you can put in a good hedge for under a thousand even at the most generous estimate. Why go out of your way to spend more than you need. How long a length of hedgerow are you thinking of?

Do you want the final thing to look relaxed or tightly trimmed? That will dictate a bit what you should get. There are other options, berberis is one (not the red one, it is not vigorous enough to make a decent sized hedge) Berberis Darwinii is the one for hedging. I think it looks a bit rank (dark and uninspiring) as it gets older unless it is hard pruned on a rotation basis. Well kept it can be very attractive with bright yellow flowers. The alternative to a hawthorn hedge would be a mixed hedge including hawthorn, guelder rose, holly, and some small trees like crab apple and rowan. This would only need minimal cutting but would have a more shaggy appearance.

The budget was a max, not a target. I just mean that it's not too strict a budget as its going need a hell of a lot less than a wall. I'm not going out of my way to spend more than I need.

The length of hedge will be around 90-100m.

I want a tightly trimmed hedge, rather than the relaxed option.

In that case you can more or less forget flowers, its extremely difficult to keep trimming a hedge and still have flowers. You might consider https://futureforests.ie/collections/hedging/products/elaeagnus-x-ebbingei - elaeagnus makes a lovely hedge, is evergreen, can be close trimmed and as far as I can see is not toxic to horses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plants_poisonous_to_equines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I suggested holly as it is sold as hedging plants in pots in a nursery close to me and in spite of what a poster above has said I see lots of pictures on a google image search for holly hedge that look well to me. I only have a couple of variegated ones which are in less than ideal growing conditions so their growth rate would not be the same as the ones sold for hedging which are priced at either 3euro or 4.50euro each depending on size. I think if you are ignoring my suggestion of Darwin's barberry which I mentioned with holly as you said you wanted to discourage grazing horses, then the recent suggestion of Ebbing's silverberry by Looksee could be nice and the couple I have planted look well and I think I will try propagate some from cuttings this year to make some more. Since you describe keeping the hedge fairly small and tightly clipped then maybe the box-leaved honeysuckle might be another option but not grown this myself.

Happy gardening!

Thanks everyone.

Quick question, one of the neighbours told me that he thinks there is "blue clay" underneath that wilderness area.

What does that mean?

EDIT - just educated myself on blue clay lol. Won't know the situation until I do the digging I suppose.

Copper beech might be an option if you don't fancy hawthorn?

Oddly enough i spent the last 6 months thinking about this and like you wanted green... i half said this before but if you put in plenty of whitethorn plants you end up with nice tight green hedge in summer and thick cluster of brown branches in winter... i like the summer and winter different looks... plant no more than 30 cm (1ft) apart...

Check out pergola nurseries on Instagram, he does an evergreen hedge called 'Coral Berry'. It's a Cotoneaster hybrid that grows thick from the bottom, is evergreen, flowers, has berries and is fast growing. It's evergreen so only sold from pots but are cheap enough and if you're buying bulk he'd probably give a discount. I planted it a few months back so far so good. Link below

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CandZGbNQah/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Advertisement

That link doesn't seem to be working but there is a fb link here https://www.facebook.com/PergolaNurseriesGardenCorner/videos/1203080576835372/

Advertisement