Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advise on switching from diesel to hybrid/electric

• 12-04-2022 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

HI All,

I do a 100mile (mixed primary and secondary roads)commute 5 days a week and have been driving my 2010 skoda superb for about 4 years. its currently got approx 200k on the clock and gives very little trouble. Fuel cost is crippling me... im basically paying in excess of 550euro a month to drive to work. Please advice on what might be a suitable repcement be it hybrid or electric. Ballpark finace would be 10-11K with my skoda. Totally new to the electric / hybrid game but as I say the current out going cost on fuel isnt feasible.

Any advice on something that would retain some level of comfort aswell as being economical would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Can you clarify your budget? 10k won't get you an ev or much of a hybrid. The later will tickle but not dent your fuel bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

itd be around 10-11k and then the value of my own 2010 superb on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

Unless you are in loads of traffic the hybrid will be thirstier than a diesel. Have you tried reducing your speed by 10 or 20kmh. Actually makes a considerable difference on fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Can you give us a little more info on your Superb? Which engine is it? What fuel economy are you getting from it?

A newer diesel might save you some money if it's more efficient. With your budget the best hybrid I could recommend would probably be a 2017-8 Hyundai Ioniq.

The real problem though is you driving 800km a week for work without being compensated for your fuel costs. I don't think changing your car to have a minor reduction in it is the solution you should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Unfortunately prob not going to save a lot by changing- think of the cost alone to do that. Skoda Superb is a perfect commuter car- big, solid comfortable and also generally very economical already. A hybrid is certainly not going to do any better, any electric car in your budget won’t have the range or comfort needed.

Are there any other ways you can reduce the mileage by working from home or even switching job (big asks I realise and not feasible for all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

So 20k then. Unfortunately an ev to do 250km comfortably to cover you in winter will cost a lot more and won't match the comfort of the superb. Think 35k. The market is still very much new cars and they are all in demand.

A hybrid won't be worth your while changing for. They can get you a small improvement over the diesel but not enough to justify the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

SO you are buying a tank of diesel each week? how many km are you getting per tank? in that car you should be getting close to if not over 1000km per tank.

At the rate you are saying you are only getting similar to what I get in the X5

What tire do you have on the car? is it a fuel efficient one? I find people buy cheap tires and then figure out fuel economy has crashed. They could be costing you a fortune in fuel

Also make sure car is serviced etc and running smooth. The only other thing I can think of is you are absolutely hammering it in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

No cheap way to do 500 miles /800kms a week on your commute plus whatever other driving you might do outside that.

550 a month buys about 290 litres of diesel at the moment. You are doing 2400 miles based on 500 mile a week commute plus I've added on 250 miles for leisure and other driving. That works out at 37.5 mpg. Could be higher if you have overestimated your spend or not told us about more leisure driving.

Would have thought superb would get better than that unless you are hammering it.

You can get smaller more efficient cars than a superb but you'll sacrifice comfort. And they won't be that much more efficient to recoup the 10k you are talking anytime soon. Talking many years, probably longer than you'd keep the car.

Could go electric if you could get your hands on one but the upfront cost will take a long time to recoup too.

You could slow down but the thoughts of doing that and leaving earlier in the morning and getting back later in the evening than you must be already would fill me with dread.

No easy way to make that commute easy on the wallet.

Advertisement