Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar Assaulted verbally while out jogging

Comments

It is the most thankless job ever.

while i.could understand someone getting involved, why they would stay is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I don't think anyone doing a job should be subjected to this. It doesn't matter what they are doing

The problem I see here is that people don't think it is a big deal, just let the scumbags off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Typical FG supporters making a mountain out of a molehill

He's not the leader of the country and just saying he gets abuse every week, how is that victimhood? Its.just facts.

• Absolutely agree 100%. Very loose and I would question his judgement.

• Advertisement

He does. That's an old video. He got a security detail because of incidents like this.

As an aside, all government ministers are due to get the Garda drivers back, that were taken away in the recession, due to.security risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

He's about to be & was before our current Taoiseach, hes the leader of the country in everything but name. Victimhood is this nonsense he goes on with almost on a monthly basis now trying to make out its because of his sexual orientation, ethnicity or otherwise. Id imagine Ahern, Kenny & many more before him would have received far worse if they chose to run around the city centre. Its part & parcel of being the leader of any country in the western world now. Macron only a few months ago had his residence flooded with cow manure for gods sake.

First rule of politics is that you need to have a thick skin to succeed & last. He knows this & is just using this video of a few scumbags to further his own agenda.

I dont believe him for one minute that he gets this abuse every week. He's known to have lied plenty of times before just like many other politicians to further his own cause. And his cause is to appeal to the LGBT community, the foreign community & the woke community who are perpetually offended over everything. Thats his target market & thats why he's saying this.

His is he using this video? You know he didn't release it right?

Someone else releasing it and he.being asked about it is your idea of him being a victim? 😂

Facts are not victimhood and while you may not believe he gets abuse, it was enough of a cause for concern that he now has a security detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Hes promoting this video as a reason for the fear people like him feel around the capital which is utter nonsense, everyone gets abused around the city sooner or later & they move on. Cmon off it with your facts, wheres his facts in relation to the garda investigation hes currently under, the Zappone appointment he was involved in amongst many other scandals. Hes far from an angel & there are a lot of Irish people unhappy with him as a result of his politics over the last few years & justifiably so.

The vast vast majority of people dont care about his orientation, ethnicity or otherwise. The just want him to be a decent leader.

There no need for you to "wish Irish people would speak their minds more to our bloody politicians, rather than waiting politely in the wings for an invitation to speak that will never be made."

Politicians aren't some species of alien from another planet.

There are members of every party and independents in every town in Ireland. You can run in the next elections if you want, its open to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Not sure what that has to do with my comment?

I was keeping this to Leo, as it was asked on the thread what promises he - not others - hadn’t kept.

I haven't seen him promoting this video?

I have never said he's an Angel, and he cannot talk about an on going Garda investigation, no one can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Sounds like Mary Lou in the back of the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ah cmon will you are you seriously comparing the murder of an MP with 2 idiots calling Leo a pr!ck? Not even a fraction similar. These 2 lads were never going to hurt Leo, just throw a few digs. No, its not right but im sure Leos skin isnt that thin, didnt he manage to rise above the whole breaking rules in Zappone gate, the providing private medical contracts to his buddy etc? Its part of the job to take occasional abuse from the public. Working in ALDI is probably much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Tis fairly shìtty alright when a man can’t even go for a jog in peace. Grown men too, it’s not unreasonable to expect they’d have a bit more cop-on.

Can’t even fathom the thought process behind filming it, let alone uploading it to social media, it’s just such a non-event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The one thing I always liked about Ireland is the politicians know that they can ride us six ways from Sunday and that we'll do **** all about it because we're a shower of complacent eejits.

I have never yet met a politician who didnt have a neck like a jockeys bollix, if getting effed out of it from a passing car is the worst they have to worry about then they're doing well...and they are doing well, unlike joe taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Ordinary Joe and Jill Soaps get abused from passing cars every **** day of the week, and we are supposed to start wringing our hands because a politician does?

• Nobody should have to put up with this kind of harassment whether it be the Taoiseach or regular folk. Would love if these two saddos get done for this. It would send a message to these "hilarious" comedians in passing cars. Cowards.

• Advertisement

Again, you're jumping logic. Nobody said that they should be let off with it. Everyone is responsible for the choices, and actions. If Leo was to find them, and press charges, grand.. I wouldn't have an issue with it (if there were any charges to make without going to extremes).

I don't think it's a big deal. I've heard worse in the streets of Ireland for decades. Outside of nightclubs. In the smoking rooms. At a football or rugby match. What makes it worse that it happened to Leo? It's like the way celebs complain about getting attention, when they go looking for attention. Politicians chose to be politicians, which is similar to being a celeb, except far more people likely hate you for it.

Or is it that we've become so sensitive that we can't shrug off the insults of strangers or muppets?

Your suggestion makes no sense. Surely, the reasonable suggestion would be that all politicians would be accessible to the public, and they (the public) can speak their minds to them directly? Oh, yes, because that's not really the case. Not in practical terms.

Interesting you believe that I, or others would need to run in an election to get our voices heard on issues, or our opinions on politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd imagine those comedians would have difficulty spelling 'Varadkar' and just saw it as an opportunity to impress their equally dim-witted friends. I doubt Leo gave it a second thought.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He's not 'promoting' anything ffs.

He was doing a press conference and was asked a question about it, and he answered it. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the video, anyone who thinks it's alright to call anybody a prick while they're living their life is a scumbag.

Anyone trying to dismiss it, put your name on the ballot paper and run for election yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

‘Attention’ is the currency of fools and has been for a while… makes them seem relevant for a day or two..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Sure, so why should we allow or even encourage verbal abuse, to what end? To make us feel better. Because we like to be rude?

Now I know its a different level entirely but we have seen MPs in Britain having confrontation escalate to the point of murder. Is it a good idea to have a society where it is acceptable to verbally abuse politicians who we disagree with? Is it a relationship we wish to normalise with our politicians? Do we wish for the tax payer to foot the bill for personal security of politicians, just because we cant behave ourselves?

My view is that there is no logical reason for anyone to abuse a politician(or anyone really), so why shouldn't we discourage it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Any ar*ehole shouting something out car windows at a passerby is a scumbag, but calling someone a pr*ck and driving on is a fairly low bar for assault.

Unacceptable behaviour, yes.....but I have to admit I was expecting something much worse from the hyperbolic title. Didn't look like Leo was particularly emotionally distraught or fearful on his jog. I doubt there are many who couldn't point to the same or worse experience if they've had regular danders along the quays. The comparisons to David Amess are downright offensively insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When was it filmed? Is it an old video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Going by the skanger accents, I'm saying Éirìgí mouth breathers.

#hisnamewasleo

Advertisement