Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar Assaulted verbally while out jogging

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’m a joe taxpayer and doing well.

Whats your particular issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

We pay him very well. I think he can take a few hurty words every now and then, in any case, the lads weren't lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

What does his pay have to do with it?

If he was paid less would the hurty words be more hurty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think the abuse people should have to deal with on a day to day basis should be based on their wages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

100% incorrect on your "legal opinion"

(That is not an opinion on this specific incident.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I can't tell whether the people who say things like "sure I was shouted at by someone last week" are trolling or don't understand the difference between an ignorant gobshite just mouthing off at a random person (who happens to be you), versus an individual seeing you and recognising you, and then targeting you purely because they recognise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I opened this thread thinking the usual suspects would have some decency and say it was terrible and wrong. Instead it's full of the usual suspects minimizing and contorting to say anything other than it was totally and utterly wrong. It really is mind-blowing how some of you can be so vitriolic that you wouldn't just say that and leave it at that without all the "everyone gets shouted at" and "it's not assault" (when in fact it could be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Someday soon an Irish politician is going to go full John Prescott, lamp someone shouting at them and become a folk hero.

And who could argue? Don't like Leo but he should be left alone on the street to jog in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Those lads would sue you for all they could get if you laid a finger on them. My oul lad always said, never fight with someone who has nothing to lose.

• Advertisement

Who are the usual suspects? Can I be one? Or is it simply you started the thread hoping for an echo chamber of posters aghast at how cruel the world can be?

Oh.. either it's an assault or it's not. (which you should be able to prove)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Disgusting carry on.

Anyone equivocating on this incident should note that similar may be coming to another politician sometime soon.

And it may be a politician you support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its a public forum with all types of people as members. These people come from different backgrounds, upbringings and come from all over the country and beyond. Every reply here reflects that persons unique take on the world, and that isnt right or wrong. You are on to nothing if you expect all the replies here to be identical to your own view and opinion on the subject. Plus you are projecting, too, by insisting that there is a "black and white" element to the answers, where people either defend or attack Leo.

I have stated that its completely wrong and quite pathetic to do what they did but Leo is a big boy with a thick skin so he should shrug it off in the same way that countless other people who experience this( and worse) do. Thats life, often full of scumbags.

I opened this thread thinking most people regardless of politics would agree that shouting at people on the street is wrong. Many in fact thinking blowing up people on the streets on Birmingham or Belfast is okay, so I don't know why I was surprised.

Assault is also a tort which means causing someone to apprehend they were about to be battered, but I am sure you already knew that.

Every reply reflects people's unique take on the world indeed. By that's not right or wrong, you mean that everyone is entitled to their own unique take I would agree with that. If you mean that everyone's take is neither morally right or wrong, I would disagree with that. Because morally minimizing or enjoying the video is not moral and anyone whose view is on that side is morally wrong. I won't be getting into a discussion of meta-ethics, but I do believe we can make moral judgements about people's views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not surprised either. Quite common around here for abuse to be minimised and dismissed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Section 3 Non Fatal Offences against the Person act is 'assault causing harm'

Harm is defined as harm to body or mind. So by definition it could be assault.

I'm sure Leo couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,284 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Before your time here there was a disgusting homophobic poster who joined here using the Tánaiste's partners name and spent day and night here slating him.

Thankfully they closed their account here. These are the ignorant people who have no sense of reality constantly complaining on social media and who promote and encourage incidents like this.

I'd be fine with that. I would expect any politician I support to shrug it off as being the way things are.. and if they're unhappy with it, then perhaps they could turn their attention to the range of social issues plaguing Ireland these days, which tend to be passed off on to the next generation. And no, I don't simply mean introduce new laws, whether they're hate laws, or laws against verbal abuse. A politician on the receiving end might, for a moment, consider the driving forces that are shaping the attitudes/behaviours of teenagers, who grow up to be adults, and who continue to behave this way, because it was ignored.

Way to go! Attempting to connect someone shouting abuse in the streets with terrorist bombings. Amazing way to establish your credibility as being a reasonable voice in this discussion. Here's a hint. Don't jump to extremes, when the situation at hand should be enough to present and reinforce your position. Oh, and don't try to connect me.. with that kind of attitude of supporting bombings, because you'd be completely wrong. But then, I suspect you don't really care if you're right or wrong, as long as you can assume your position on the righteous pedestal of moral condemnation.

So.. what happened wasn't assault. Grand so.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] I have pointed out how it could according to law be assault.

I'm sure Leo doesn't care though.

Imo, no one should be expected to take abuse as part of their job. Not fireman, not nurses, not doctors, not gardai, not politicians.

Basically, no one deserves abuse because of their job. Very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Just want to confirm that my post, which maintained that Leo was not actually assaulted, was intentionally removed by an authorised moderator. It was deleted without explanation so there's always room for accidental thumbs! No drama either way, just checking lads ;-) 

I have already pointed out the law which states that 'harm' in 'assault causing harm ' can indeed be an assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

The man has a right to jog around and in peace. Calling him names is stupid, saying that it was worse if they didn't like him cos he's gay is stupid, same if it's cos he's not a genetically prone to sunburn as previous statesmen. I'd have stood up for him if I was there and I wouldnt be a fan of him or his party but I appreciate a man in his multilayer position that jogs the quays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm not aware of any successful prosecutions for calling someone a pr*ck (what appears to have been said under the bleep), or a comparable insult.

Proving all the elements off the offence beyond reasonable doubt is a difficult task and not one prosecutors or indeed Gardai are likely to take on all that much.

And honestly, it's just as well. Most of the country would find themselves dragged before a court at some stage or another. Anyone want to put their hands up and honestly say they've never insulted someone, said words in anger that may have caused someone offence or harm?

None of the above is to condone the actions of the losers in the car. Just to point out that simply insulting someone is a crime because of a narrow read of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

How sad is this? 😀

You've said this before. I'm very curious at this point. Any links or quotes? What has this mystery you are obsessed with got to do with my comment or this thread? Although a poster called Micheal Martin would be funny IMO.

You sound like it haunts you. Not healthy.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

No, No one would ever really be prosecuted because they shouted out a window that someone was a prick! Just pointing out the actual law that could be used. Leo could not care less though

• Says a lot about someone's character if they think shouting at someone Tanaiste or Non Tanaiste on the street is justifiable because "we pay them well"

Fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

But as I pointed out earlier he wasn't shouted at. Why exaggerate? He was called to at a level slightly above normal conversation. Heckled would be stretching it.

This is the problem with outrage culture - you escalate and exaggerate everything, suddenly two words (prick and fucker) turn into - "a vile torrent of abuse".

How can literally two words be a "vile torrent"? Why go so over the top? That's a bigger problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Advertisement