Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Direct Debit marked as "Pending" still be cancelled?

• 12-04-2022 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭

I have a monthly direct debit which is normally due on the 19th of each month and I cancelled it today (1 week before).

I checked the Payment Logs and see a "Pending" direct debit due for the 19th which appears to have been triggered today.

What are the chances this can be cancelled or is it too late once it's in the pending payment list?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did you ask the payee to stop submitting the DD? It's probably 'pending' because the supplier has already submitted the DD for payment on the 19th.

Are you in dispute with a supplier or is there a reason why you can't just ask them to stop submitting the DD? But, under SEPA rules, if you supplied your bank with the unique mandate reference, they should refuse the payment.

BoI info on the topic: https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/sepa/direct-debit-change-requests/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Allinall

If it goes through, you have up to eight weeks to recall the funds without having to give a reason.

Just apply through your bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I checked with the bank there and they assured me that, since I deleted the DD, the "Pending" transaction will fail come the 19th as "there won't be anything to back up the direct debit claim" so fingers crossed.

The payee told me to cancel the direct debit as it will take weeks to cancel on their side due to backlog.

Advertisement