Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Allowance - moving from NI.

• 12-04-2022 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Good evening.

I must confess to having previously asked a similar question a few years ago - my apologies. I have lost my username and password and must now post under a new username - from memory ‘Splinter’ was extremely helpful, but I could be wrong on this.

However this was pre-Covid and circumstances have changed, not least for me. Rather than waste contributors’ time, I will set out what I perceive to be correct and, hopefully, I can be corrected or otherwise. 

My wife and I both live in NI, have Irish passports and would be fairly sure that we would both pass the test for habitual residence. We have never worked in Ireland, always in NI. We are both retired. I am 60, my wife 62. My wife has a permanent disability which is worsening (MS). My daughter is a permanent resident of Ireland, having lived there for 18 years, working full time. She is anxious that we now take the step of moving closer to her but I am extremely dubious due to the potential loss of income in my view.

She currently receives a disability benefit of £92 per week (€110). This, apparently, is exportable - she could continue to receive this if we move to Ireland. She also receives an occupational pension of €200 per week.

I receive an occupational pension of €250 per week. I also receive carers’ allowance for my wife of €80 per week. While this could also be exportable, it is not guaranteed.

We obviously intend to sell our house in NI with the proceeds used to buy another property, presumably in Cork. We have approximately €60000 in savings.

Simple questions really (hopefully) for you guys.

1. Based on the above, am I correct in stating that there is every likelihood that we (I) will qualify for Carers’ Allowance, taking into account continuing disability payment received by my wife of €110 from NI?
    2. Presumably there are no other benefits or entitlements available to us?

Many thanks for your assistance. It is much appreciated.

Advertisement