Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screws or adhesive

Options
  • 12-04-2022 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

I just got some nice new windows, and in the process had my alarm company come out and disconnect the old wired sensors.

He will be back in the coming days to hook up new sensors.

He made an odd remark that the sensors must be screwed to the windows.

I am loathe to let him drill into my brand new windows.

Is there a requirement to fix them with screws?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would be doing the same with screws.

What other option would he have, glue or some sticky back tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

I just went through the same in my place. It's a new build and I didn't want to screw the windows so I picked up two rolls of this from woodies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DYS76Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_CNDQJZB55E3WCNG7HXVC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's all installed now for a month or two with no issues. I accidentally stuck one sensor in the wrong place and it took about 10 minutes to pry it off the frame so seems like great stuff. The final check will be to try one of the South facing ones on a hot day during the summer and see if I can pull it off but for now they are rock solid.

Screws will always be the most secure but if you want flexibility down the track the double sided tape works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are they wired or wireless sensors? plenty of good quality double sided tapes which will do the job just fine, especially with wired sensors. Often the magnets don't have enough surface area for the tape to bond with, so usually it's less hassle to screw these.

The alarm companies don't want call backs, so will screw on the sensors/magnets to be sure. They don't want the hassle of messing with tapes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

It's a wired system, but even looking now, I don't think the sensors will even fit in their current location, especially now the windows are opening inwards.

Looks like I probably need new wireless sensors and/or a system.

Going to insist on tape. I can always retape them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 notepads

Ah here is this a joke. Screws all the way. Unless you see the day you won't need an alarm at all and will be removing sensors.

Why would you pay a professional and tell him to use tape which will definitely let you down at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement