Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cedar Grove, Ridgewood

Options
  • 12-04-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Me and my wife (young Indian couple) are planning to buy a house in Cedar Grove, Ridgewood. We have viewed the property and really liked it. However, we are a bit concerned as few people informed us about house and car break-ins.

Can people from Cedar Grove or swords can give us some insight.

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I live in Ridgewood, but only since Christmas. (Lived in Rivervalley all my life)

I haven't heard of any break in' recently, but in the winter, both Ridgewood and Rivervalley got hit badly (as I'm sure a lot of estates did)

I've left my bike, kids' bike etc out by accident on a number of occasions and it's been there in the morning.

Great place to live in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I wouldn't be too worried about it, in general swords is a very safe town and does not have many anti-social issues.

My experience as a recent house hunter is that every neighbourhood says house break-ins and car break-ns are an issue. Personally i wouldn't worry about it, certainly not in Ridgewood.

Full disclosure, I was born and grew up in Swords and last year moved back, buying a house in Miller's Glen (where people also said the re was car/house break-ins, but I've not seen any evidence of it so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There were some break ins and thefts over the past few years but I wouldn't say it's any worse than any other estate. I've always felt very safe even walking around at night. About the worst anti social behaviour I've encountered was some teenage boys swearing and generally stinking up the road with the smell of sweat 😷

The rules are the same as anywhere else, put your porch light and alarm on at night, lock up doors and windows and don't leave anything out and you'll be fine

Facilities around the cedar's are great too, big green area and a playground for the kids. In general the cars are forced to drive slowly so it's very safe for children.

The shops, pharmacy and doctor are very good, although the doctor is very busy so getting appointments is difficult. The crèche at the entrance to the estate is very good, both my kids have been there and the staff are brilliant. The primary school in River valley is also very good and well run

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7 invoker

• Advertisement

Yes, I agree. The rules are same and thank you for the insight 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

My brother & his family and my single sister bought a 4 bed and a 2 bed respectively there when they were built.

I haven't heard any of the issues you mention from either of them.

What I did hear is minor issues with neighbours - one has very noisy neighbours on one side that annoyed the person on the other side enough to move out. On road with the 4 beds, one person did illegally build a large unit in their back garden and has it rented out (house possibly also being illegally rented on AirBNB). Whole road went mad and reported to council enforcement (who haven't done anything yet but are working through the case). Other than that, my nephews are safe enough to walk home alone from the school in Rivervalley and love living there. Plenty of amenities, issues with school/creche places seem to have ironed out & you can walk through the park to get buses on Rathingle Rd.

No reports from either about crime or bad behaviour aside from annoying kiddie noise in the cul de sac, only thing is there is a LOT of cars parked anywhere and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 madferit25

Still can't get my head around there being one road in and out of the whole of Ridgewood. Crazy for such a big estate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's not that bad I find, it was a lot worse before COVID when no-one worked from home. Now the number of cars seems to have dropped a lot

There is a bad time usually between 8.15 and around 8.40 on rainy days during school terms

I think the trucks doing deliveries in the morning to Tesco are way worse, there were 4 vans and trucks blocking the road past the shop and pharmacy, so of course traffic starts piling up on the main road as a result

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11 madferit25

Yeah the school traffic is normally tailed down to the lights at SuperValu. The one entrance/exit is one of the main reasons we didn't buy in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

No sympathy for anyone who drives from Ridgewood to Rivervalley unless the weather is really bad. They would be there and back quicker if walking or on a bike.

Advertisement