Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Bar Exam: Eligibility with PPC1, PPC2, and FE-1 Exams and Alternative Opportunities

Options
  • 13-04-2022 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

I want to sit for the New York bar, but I have a Business and Law degree from UCD which does not have enough credits for the purposes of the bar. I have heard that the combination of my FE-1s and PPC1 & PPC2 exams from Blackhall place may be sufficient. Does anybody have any experience with this? I know I can do an LLM in the US, but I'd rather not fork out the 60k!

Alternatively, is there a way to work as an Irish solicitor in the US without the bar? I know a lot of the large Irish firms have offices over there to support US clients setting up in Ireland, but I'm not sure how likely it would be to get a transfer. Are there in-house jobs that I could avail of? For reference, I will be a fully qualified Irish solicitor from one of the big 5, if that's of any relevance.

Any advice or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 desk404

I don't know about counting what the Law Society to go towards your credit threshold (worth asking) but you could do a LLM in Ireland / elsewhere which could let you reach the number of credits and would be far cheaper than the US.

Advertisement