Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router suggestion?

• 13-04-2022 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

I have three floors to get broadband to, virgin media comes in at the front of the house (1GB), back of the house is 45 feet and it gets very weak there.

Only getting about 40mb in the room above, and the floor above that only gets about 5mb.

What’s a decent router or mesh that’d be good for getting it throughout at decent speeds?

I was trying some Google WiFi pucks (one on each floor) but the speeds weren’t much better.

thanks in advance for suggestions (& Amazon links where possible)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Never heard of that brand. What types of speeds do you get with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you only want WiFi around the house your first option should be hardwiring in some WiFi access points with CAT6 or 5E, your through put will be measurably better than mesh and you might not need an upgraded router...This Makes Your WIFI Better? - TP-Link Deco X20 - YouTube check out this video where he sets up a mesh system and tests it vs hardwiring the AP. spoiler alert! double the speed

Can you run a Cat 6 cable to each of the floors from where your existing router is? be creative

You can then get something like this Access Point WiFi 6 Lite – Ubiquiti Store Europe

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

I actually have the house wired with Cat 5E from a number of years ago, however, I only ever get max 100Mbs through the wired connections.

There's an Apple TV wired directly to the VM router, this gets about 900Mbs (+/-), then it's cabled to a TP Link gigabit switch & from there to a patch panel & distributed to the house, only problem is the speed drops considerably.

I wish I'd gone for Cat 6 or 7 back when I was doing it, but hadn't got the funds at the time.

Wifi & google wifi speeds are lower than the wired obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭dam099

If it’s CAT5e and not just CAT5 you should be able to get gigabit speeds.

If the switch is definitely a gigabit switch have you tried a different patch cable from the router to the switch? Check what colour the little led’s by the ports on your switch are showing, if they are orange rather than green the connection has only been negotiated at 100mbps not 1gbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah if you have 5E that should give you gigabit no probs and as the previous poster said if you are capping out on 100mb then the wiring might not be negotiating to Gbe. Run a speed test on the line with with laptop and see what you get. If it not then it's just a case of re terminating the ends of the ethernet runs.

If you were able to hard wire the APs you cannot get better than that and should get way over 100mb.

Now there is a whole other subject and discussion of optimising your WiFi settings but you need to check the cabling first.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement