Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a gateway to tunnel traffic over an SSH tunnel

Options
  • 14-04-2022 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I was curious if there are newer/more modern ways of setting up a raspberry pi as a gateway which forwards traffic across a SOCKS5 proxy. There are two things I wanted to be able to do:

1) If I were away from home I could configure a chromecast to bounce through the raspberry pi, connect to my home network, and then be able to stream content from there. I could probably do this with wireguard/openvpn.

2) Spin up an EC2 instance in amazon (or equivalent), use the raspberry pi to establish a socks5 proxy to that instance (ssd -D) and then have the chromecast bounce through it so it can stream content. It'd be trickier to do this using vpn software as I'd rather not configure the ec2 instance, and an ssh tunnel is pretty simple. Performance isn't really a concern.

The closest example I could find was badvpn as described here, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/VPN_over_SSH#Using_badvpn's_tun2socks . Any suggestions/recommendations on alteratives to accomplish the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

Do you already have the Raspberry Pi? If not, consider getting your hands on a GL-iNet mini router like the Mango.

Wide range of versions with different amounts of RAM, ethernet ports and wifi bands, but they're available from about €30 and have OpenWRT installed.

Wireguard is going to give you better performance than an ssh proxy with a tunnel, and this little box could be your hotspot when you're not at home.

OpenWRT would give you the choice of using practically any VPN you've heard of as well as having your option of simple SSH tunnels.

You can certainly do all of this on a Raspberry Pi too, but the GL-iNet stuff is really neat if you're looking at buying kit to solve the problem anyway.

I keep one of these in my toolbox all the time as they can replace so many different failed components in a network and keep things going while waiting for a replacement. Very versatile device.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭moon2

I had decided a simple approach could be to use an old wifi router as an access point and then using double Ethernet on the raspberry pi to set this up as nothing's worse in this world than AP mode wifi on Linux :p

however, but I did a quick review of the hardware you suggested and, honestly, it looks perfect for what I want. At $40 delivered it's a bargain, and I can even bring it with me when travelling!

It should arrive within the next 5-8 days so I'll post an update when i have it all running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Loosehead

I am using the mango mini router with VPN. My regular Wi-Fi download speed is 80 mb p/s but only getting 7mb 0p/s with VPN using UDP file. Any idea on how to improve? Using Nord VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

What kind of VPN are you using with Nord? OpenVPN, IPSec or wireguard?

Advertisement