Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But sure, the pockets are so big, a bit of distraction would do no harm, surely 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Trump will have Saturday off the way this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Trump looking better and better as the match goes on, it'll be some trick if Williams somehow manages to claw his way back into this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No chance really unless he wins this one. 11-5 would be a result for him. 12-4 though, no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

On ROS ‘don’t care mate it is a holiday’ it has become tiresome background noise. Every fecking interview it seems. I wish more people call him out on it.

As it is obvious that it is a defence mechanism Ronnie uses to relax. In another interview he said he has to keep reminding himself of it. I thought he must have a real short term memory!

On Radzi I think the young fella is gas real green to snooker. A wide eyed innocence about him loads of enthusiasm and excitement. I remember when he first appeared on bbc snooker. Said he looked like a Blue Peter presenter. Way he dressed sounded etc. Then I found it really funny when I learned he used to present Blue Peter!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was a terrific clearance by Trump to go 11-4 in front. But there was a red early on in the break, that probably had no right to drop. The camera was right behind it, and they showed a replay of it. Trump, the cue ball and the red ball were all in a line. It looked wide, but still dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya it's a diversion

He want to go into these tournaments pressure free and it works fairly well imo

Clever tactic and all part of the overall game imo

Does Parrott add anything to commentary

Im not hearing any useful info from him just waffle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just another example of how poor the BBC's live TV coverage is. Last frame of the session in the semi-final of the World Championship and they end it to go to Politics UK. And BBC4 is sitting idle until 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

4-4 in that session, if you'd asked williams straight after the 7-1 he would of taken it

Now see if he can counter attack in session 3

Always feel Ronnie tries too hard to be a "character". Every tournament there's something new with him. Aussie accent, cue action, just a hobby, retirement etc.

Hes still in this. Could've easily been 10-6.

I used to dislike him on the bbc. Hated those short sleeve shirts 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

He never did. Mainly used to talk about betting odds for the match.

Had 2 digs about Ronnie's chalk and was nasty about it

" 99% of players using the new chalk...chalk marks on the table"

"Ronnie's asking the ref to clean the ball and sure it's Ronnie's chalk that's causing it in the first place"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Minimum of 5-3 for Willo tonight. 14-10 down and he'd have an outside chance only tommorow.

He has all the answers in the comms box and then goes out in the first round to a qualifier!

I like DT and JV myself. Murphy I am mixed on some days he annoys me a bit other days. I think that is astute well spotted.

Think it was the ROS Higgins match he was really quick he calling that Pink would be on Black spot few shots ahead. And why Ronnie would be looking at angles on particular reds to negotiate it. I find he is great at that stuff dissecting options in a break- clearly quickly. It is when he gets a bit preachy that I get a bit annoyed at him. As if he has himself set up as the guardian of snooker.

I know others just didn’t like Murphy because he sounds posh. It’s just the way he talks. Ronnie had a much more wealthy upbringing. I think Murphy pointed this out himself once. He does not seem to like Ronnie at all as a person. But anyway Murphy is articulate. Does not mix his phrases like Ken.

Murphy Can be good or annoying in the same frame. Davis fast becoming my fav commentator.

Good mix of Analysis and dry humour from Steve Davis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

This thread has turned toxic. This used to always be a fantastic thread to talk to like minded snooker fans during the world championship but it’s shocking this year.

It’s constant complaints and abuse of players/commentators, and moaning about everything about the tournament. It’s really disappointing that it’s descended to this

Yeah nothing natural about it very forced. Think Ronnie is just insecure in himself. I have Great time for him when he plays snooker. But terrible analyst, terrible commentator and boring interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Mate relax.. it's not constant complaints/abuse..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

just snooker fans expressing an opinion with a bit of harmless banter no ?

the authorities are changing the game to be like darts so you were always going to get comments on it imo anyway and i like hearing other fans opinions

What odds is Trump to win it outright now? I can't see past him at this stage. He's peaking just at the right time.

I think Higgins will grind Ronnie down but think Trump will beat him

I thought you would like Parrott a snooker purist traditionalist like yourself? Not only that Parrott has a ‘gift’ at spotting ‘graft’ and ‘bottle’. 🤔

In all seriousness. I think Parrott’s days are numbered even in studio. Others have left him behind IMO.

He probably knows this himself. As they were on about the BBC extended contract 2027. In a half joke Parrott said ‘if they still want us then!’

JP and Davis are the two from my childhood that I remember being on studio duty. I think there's still room for JP but the best in studio duo is Davis and Hendry.

Hendry or Ken in the comms box is always good too. Ken is always good for a witty line!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The ‘am I bovvered ?’ schtick it’s completely disrespectful both to snooker fans and his opponents and the sport….whether he means it or is just deflecting or trying to wind people up or both which I suspect might be the case… it’s crass…. Obviously he is an immensely talented snooker player but I never actually had any time for the guy on a personal level. Never watched him and thought “ yes, hope Ronnie wins this “… he always came across as a massively unlikable and arrogant individual….which is a shame given his great talent…

im tuning in to see a competitive match, both players trying… but from one… ‘am not rilly bovvered’….he’s driven the guts of four hours to get to Sheffield, staying in a hotel, etc… for guts of two weeks, in addition he has practiced, prepared etc…. Plenty to admire about his ability but on a personal level… hmmm

Ronnie still struggles badly with coping playing the game. Mentally. Everything he says and does - from pretending to not give a **** and just enjoying it etc - is all to keep him in the right head space.

He still has Steve Peters there. Because he needs him. He still needs to run religiously, he still has family issues, he just broke up with his missus.

• Advertisement

Oh right didn’t know that bit about his missus.Given his history ‘counting dots on spoons’ etc. At least he has stayed focused when in a snooker match this time.

I think the fella is probably bipolar. Has all the hallmarks of it. Nervous energy need to go for runs. Emotional highs and lows. Even read he had difficulty severe sleeping at one stage during his career taking tablets.

A bit of Gazza about him at this stage. Happiest when playing his sport?

Advertisement