Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I think a Higgins was the culprit in a lot of cases for the balls flying off the baize

Wasn't there a time when you could do a jump shot in snooker

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

thought a jump shot was always a definite no no in snooker - could be wrong tho

Trump won't be 7-1 up against any of these lads!

Fair play to Willo. He could have capitulated, but ended up sharing the morning session,,,, maybe the table didn't suit him yesterday

Dunno I'm confused now about the history of balls leaving the table in various scenarios

Jaysus Doherty and Taylor is grim listening

They're useless

Davis and hendry on analysis is the gold standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

jumping is allowed in pool 9 ball and billiards but has never been allowed in snooker afaik

Read Joe Davis back in the day

Could have sworn he demonstrated the jump shot , must be misremembering

me too kirk 😃 I remember back in the heyday of Jimmy and them lads, and it was never a foul with balls hopping everywhere - even on the rails!

only if a ball left the table onto the ground was it a foul even back then, must have been way way back when the balls hopping on table was against the rules

don't think jumpshots(like in pool) were allowed tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

you could very well be right that's just my memory from the steve davis era up, when i say a jump shot i mean intentional to get out of a snooker or pot a ball, it if happens by whacking a ball or a bad contact thats ok afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Would love to see Ronnie get his 7th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The jump shot rule is quite tricky with multiple clauses, but effectively jump shots as most people would define them are not allowed.

But going into the pack of reds off a colour leading to the white jumping 10cm in the air is fine.

Also if you had a direct unblocked shot and bizarrely chose to jump it (to get backspin maybe) then there doesn't seem to be anything in the rules against it either (other than the 'the ref can make whatever decision he/she wants' rule).

It's really just jumping over a ball to hit an object ball which is not allowed.

I don't recall the rule ever being any different.

Ronnie should pull clear today as he does tend to be unplayable if he gets it right

They're celebrating ebdon now

I've seen it all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No in fact if a ball hopped at all even after striking a cue ball it was considered a jump shot.

’Jump Shot

A jump shot is made when the cue-ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether hitting it in the process or not, except:

(a) when the cue-ball first hits one object ball, other than a touching ball, and then jumps over another ball; or

(b) when the cue-ball jumps and hits an object ball, other than a touching ball, and at the moment of landing on the playing area, the cue-ball is not on the far side of the current position of that object ball; or

(c) when, after legally hitting an object ball, other than a touching ball, the cue-ball jumps over that ball after hitting a cushion or another ball.’

They then changed the rule to only when you jump the cue ball over the object ball.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

So ebdon just scraped through the semi

One pot from Stevens would likely have been 8 titles

Some bottle by Ebdon on that pink in back in day semi against Matthew Stevens

You'd never have thought it of Joe Davis unless u seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ronnie annoying me a little with his persistence in cleaning the table, cleaning the balls and telling people to sit still. It seems like he's either procrastinating or just being a bit a d1ck. He can knock in 147s at exhibitions with people walking around the table and suddenly a hair on the table becomes a distraction for 30 seconds. FFS man get on with it.

Dunno I'd say you're wide of the mark with all of that observation

A 147 here wouldn't be a massive surprise in this session

Just as well Murphys not commentating with all the cleaning Ronnie's doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

True that!

I just think that in far less pristine or ideal circumstances he just gets on with it and plays better. Now all of a sudden he seems to be slowing himself down on really minor issues. That being said the phone thing is just annoying.

Dunno if I can see Murphy lasting at the BBC

Whatever about the individual input which can be weak , they really do work as a team

Murphy just seems to be straying off reservation too much his barbed comments and incarnation as a snooker guru

Can't see it lasting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Excellent trick shot by Higgins potting the red in off other reds. 😉

Higgins made a mess of that excellent chance, only making 38 points.

Higgins still looks like everybody's favourite grandad

All the training he's doing isn't showing in his appearance

Jeez does Taylor ever do anything except state the bleeding obvious

"How did he find that gap"

"He had to be so obvious to pot that ball"

All this pernickety faffing about by O'Sullivan is really grating. Up and down on a shot, cleaning the table, distractions in the audience, having balls unnecessarily cleaned, etc.

See how Davis made the observation that the extended spider was a bad design

He's the only analyst that does that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Advertisement