Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The commentators used to always say Ronnie was the most naturally gifted player to lift a cue. I remember him saying he was insulted by that as he puts in loads of work.

Ronnie says it's a serious hobby for him now, not that he doesn't care. Everyone knows he does care, otherwise he wouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Interesting after the Williams semi final that Judd said he never expected to do anything at this tournament and was delighted to make the final and he doesn't care what happens in the final now. A fully focused in form Trump beats Ronnie imo.

I wouldn't rule Trump out. We're only half way there. Trump could easily win 6-2 tomorrow afternoon and then it's 14-11. The crowd would be well up for it then and it would be game on. Trump also didn't have much luck today and luck usually evens out so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

How dare you use logic? 😉 Williams would have presented a far greater challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Id expect some sort of a rally from Trump, where he rattles a few frames off in succession like Williams did, Id be surprised if he goes out with a whimper...but whether it'll be enough to overhaul the lead Ronnie has built is doubtful.

If Ronnie does go on to end this early in dominating fashion it'll be an incredible tournament for him, probably the most dominating performance ever in the world snooker championships, I can't think of a more dominating run anyway.

10-5, 13-4, 13-5, 17-11 and looking good in the final, he hasn't been put under pressure once all tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Trump bridging a 7 frame gap the way he’s been playing vs the ruthless manner of O’Sullivans game with far less errors and clinical safety play will be next to impossible…unless Ronnie accidentally injures himself putting the kettle on in the hotel….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hendry broke his arm one year and still won, it was the year Jimmy should have won it,

I wonder what the record is for winning the WC with the least frames conceded ?

He has only conceded by my quick counting 25 frames in the 4 matches before the final.

Nobody laid a glove on him. Dave Gilbert was the most competitive getting 5 frames away. Been completely dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder will the sponsors and the BBC have their people in their tux's for the afternoon session in anticipation of an early finish

be very disheartening for Trump to see that, although it might inspire him 'i'll show them' 😠

btw - when was the last time a world final ended with a session to spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Was it 93, Hendry v White?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And he never won another one. Maybe a portent there...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Davis hammered Parrott one year. He joked about it in studio yesterday. 18-3 in 1989. Other hammering was Hendry v White 18-5 1993.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I had forgotten about that, happened in 1994. Fractured his arm near elbow. It was not his cueing arm, but still. His participation was in doubt. And was visibly in pain. Happened early on in tournament.

In the article above this jumped out as well, made me laugh.

‘Meanwhile, John Parrott's 13-3 demolition of Ronnie O'Sullivan raised more than a few eyebrows. Parrott, the champion three years ago, has not had the best of seasons, while O'Sullivan has won the United Kingdom and British Open titles in his first season as a professional. ‘

'To beat someone of Ronnie's calibre with a session to spare is very gratifying,' Parrott said.

the only way i can see Trump winning is for Ronnie to do a 'kamikaze' on himself i.e. p1ss off the ref to such an extent that he awards the match to Trump or some other crazy sh1t

Ronnie is a great entertainer but unfortunately he is a prick and that was evident with his shenanigans at the start of frame 4 with the 're-placed white' taking the p1ss out of the ref

I don’t think he likes the ref in question and the feeling seems to be mutual!

Still a fantastic snooker player though, and for as long as some form of snooker is played they will be on about ROS. Blessed to follow snooker and see him play, when you think about what a once in a lifetime player he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cant see anyway back for Trump. Ronnie has looked like a champion in every session of the tournament. Could be over by 4pm.

yep, he's compelling to watch

Ronnie, Jimmy and Alex the great entertainers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Good and all Ronnie is its a pity the final is ending up a bit of a damp squid .Hope this post comes back to haunt me but can't see that happening I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Is it an 8 or 9 frame session today? Could easily see Ronnie winning 6-2 or 6-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Snooker is, and always has been, full of complete turnarounds, especially in multi-session matches.

I can't believe how many are so quick to write Trump off.

Yes, he's left himself a proper mountain to climb, and it's highly unlikely - but it's nowhere near beyond the bounds!

All it takes is a bit of nervous energy to get wrongly channelled with Ronnie, and Judd to get the bit between his teeth early on, and we could have a total reversal of fortune.

(I won't be putting my house on it, though, in fairness!)

Stupid duplicate/blank post.....

A run of three/four frames Trump needs to sow a seed of doubt.

Only way he can do it as his safety/tactics are not good enough to tie Ronnie up.

First and foremost Trump needs to cut out the blatant mistakes. That would be a move in the right direction.

Failing that, a proper row with Marteel could throw Ronnie off.

But Ronnie is too steady a player these days to get rattled, off his game.

He has never faced a pigeon though. Unknown how he would cope with that?

knowing Ronnie he'd probably stamp on the pigeon 'ere have some of that' (said in a essex accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness, snooker is vastly more full of games where the leader maintained his lead or even pulled further away. The comebacks are generally the exception albeit they live longer in the memory because of that.

People are happy to throw Dennis 0-8 v Davis or Selby 4-10 v Higgins out there, but tend to keep quiet about Ronnie v Carter (twice), Ronnie v Kyren, Ronnie v Dott, Higgins v Murphy, Davis/Hendry v XYZ where a one-sided game continued that way to the early end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My feeling from the beginning was Ronnie will not just win but will win decisively and that is basically where we're at.

I don't see a comeback at all today, if any it will just be a minor one. The BBC will say a comeback is on the cards if Trump wins a 'crucial' frame, but they are all crucial to him at this stage, the first frame of the session, the last before the interval, the first after the interval, and the one's in between.

I'm dreaming of a final that should have been, i.e. O'Sullivan vs Williams. In that case I wouldn't have had a preference, and it would have been a lot more entertaining a final that what we've got.

All Ronnie has to do today is not loose his cool and that's it job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ronnie on Judd : “We used to share the same practice rooms until I got barred in 2018”… complete with incredulous pîssed off stare. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Judd needs a miracle and if he plays like yesterday, it's all over. It pretty much is anyway. Some better luck too would help.

Advertisement