Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yeah he was phenomenal that year, it's baffling he hasn't won another (and seems to have lost interest these days, so probably won't).

Robertson on the other hand - I was shaking my head when he was made favourite for this year. The WC is almost a different sport to the rest of the season, and he hasn't even reached the semis since 2014.

On Ronnie - I'd back peak Ronnie to comfortably beat any other player in history. I don't even think he's capable of hitting those peaks to the same extent these days, but he doesn't need to when the likes of Trump are giving him a 6 frame head-start.

I think his mental issues held him back earlier in his career, now that he seems more laid back and enjoying his game it puts his opponents under more pressure. He's not that likely to go off the rails and have a bad session these days, so if you're playing him you have to be 100% all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Exactly! 3 world finals, winning one. Same record as Ken Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

TBF to Murphy hes been in 4 finals and lost 2 of them fairly narrowly. Got hammered by John Higgins in superman mode in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ronnie is an out and out tool, and an out and out bad sport, and an out and out attention seeker. But the GOAT. Fan boys seem to get a bit irked for this view. I was put on someone's ignore list for daring to have a negative view of the man. So juvenile, just like Ronnie.

• Advertisement

true, I also forgot he got to the final only last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ths final session was top of the tv ratings for all programmes shown in Britain on Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Murphy when on song is a dream to watch.

As good as anyone really. Pity he is not on his game more often.

Supposed to be a decent fella too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not for me. Darts is just you against 501 and the board. There is nothing the other player does that can change that.

Same with golf. You just play as good as you can, and hope the other players play less good.

Id argue chess more a sport. This is man v man..

Post edited by walshb on

Dave Hendon was saying on his snooker scene podcast that Ronnie apologised and/or cleared the air with Olivier Marteel the ref before the second session.

That would seem to be the case, they moved on, there wasn't much tension there after that and while Ronnie acts the prick at times, we know he does care about the game and he is not the worst character overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Apparently Ronnie was been shadowed by a film crew the last 3-months and was fitted with a microphone for the WC.

Documentary to be released on Netflix.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yep, next year will be...

The Cazoo World Championship.

That might possibly call into question some of the ITV4 tournaments for next year. Especially if there is a full return to China.

This was the Cazoo series, but they can't sponsor everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

^^^

To go waaay off topic - I liked your comment in the 'RIP Thread' "Arfur" 🤣

ITV4 must rarely be off in your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Anyone else hate listening to O'Sullivan in interviews. It's the same "controversial" sound bite for decades. Isn't bothered, doesn't care, plays for fun. He seems very bothered for everyone to believe he isn't bothered.

Williams' attitude to the game is the attitude O'Sullivan wants us so to believe he has too. He started this guff to wind Hendry up, boring for decades listening to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

He was poor, won a World Championship in a poor field

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is there anything these **** don't sponsor? lol

Our sponsorships | Cazoo

From the above they sponsor:

• Main shirt sponsors of Aston Villa and Everton in the premier league
    • Announced as new main shirt sponsors of Marseille, Lille and Valencia and Freiburg
    • Announced as new sponsors of World Darts Championship
    • PDC Darts - European Championship, World Cup of Darts and Grand Slam of Darts
    • Rugby League World Cup
    • The Hundred (Cricket)
    • World Snooker Tour
    • English Football League (EFL)
    • Derby Festival (Horse racing)
    • St Leger Festival (Horse racing)
    • Shirt sponsor of Welsh Rugby
    • European Tour - UK Open, UK Classic (Golf)
    • Fishomania
    • And now World Snooker Championship

They're in the throw investors money at advertising to become household name and dominate the market stage but all they do is sell used cars ffs! They sold 20k cars in Q1 with a gross profit of 2m pounds (0.5% margin)

Can see them falling apart in a few years.

Used cars and bookies. Job's a good un.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well you want a business who can be in it for the long haul.

A business spending at these levels to try to gain further traction in the market is probably a 50 50 proposition as to whether it will survive.

Never mind, I guess Rich Energy could always fill the gap if they disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I find their business marketing strategy interesting.

No one had heard of them a couple of years ago and now they sponsor a massive amount of UK high profile sporting events and teams.

Next year qualifying for the Crucible will move back to best of 19. The shorter matches in the early rounds were for Covid restrictions.

It's a small thing and how many are put out by it. But still I think it is good to see them honour the competition and not take advantage of Covid to introduce 'changes' to the flagship event.

Advertisement