Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If they mess up the navigation they just continue on to Canada. I fail to see the problem here.

A number of media outlets including BBC cite "family, English language, "know someone there"- as the reasons for trying to reach UK- after some research.

I have to say, it's opened my eyes a little, delving into this phenomenon - and, when you look at this "thing" called the "EU", it is indeed a phenomenon.

Yes, i know UK is now not part of the EU, but when it was, this issue was very much to the forefront. So, it's about how EU countries treat their immigrants. And obviously, with elections in France right now, and those old enough will remember Jean Marie Le-Penn- nothing really has changed except the far right has got much more support now.

While EU has common laws and standards and what not on a lot of consumer and business issues, it's apparent it has a long way to go before a One-Continent approach to treating asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ryanair or Irish ferries .

How do you go from Timbuktu to Dublin

Absolutely - Me FIRST every time!!!

I just hope when the economic structure you're currently and so obviously relying on right now, collapses stratospherically-and believe me, it will -, that some poor soul out there, treats you similar to how you wish others, less fortunate than yourself, be treated. You are living in dreamworld baby, and you're about to enter a nightmare.

Either get busy getting new skills to deal with that- or get busy joining some far right groups - coz that's your choice. For most normal people, we'll try and adapt, as best we can.

OK, I hear you in terms of what was said by the OP- but We've seen how, in just in a few months, how Europe has changed radically with the Ukrainian war - it's impacted housing, good will, inter-country relationships, the threat of invasion, economic stability, the price of goods- the list goes on. And that's even before the whole human and psychological impact.

We're going to see a lot more of these posts- and we're going to see countries speaking, as this OP has- unfortunately that's the reality. There's a HUGE illusion that the EU is one people, one voice- we're SO far away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,242 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

im living in reality. I don’t wish any ill on anybody. I wish taxpayers and citizens get bang for their buck though, get housing, healthcare public transport and support…for what they need and when they need it…as a priority.. they are paying and have paid for it…will continue to do so.

from the proclamation..

“equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts”

The fact that it’s citizens of this nation are with great expeditiousness becoming second class citizens in terms of everything the proclamation would beholden to them…

i don’t intend joining far right groups and upskilling won’t be necessary…thanks for your concern..in addition it’s not about just me this will impact x,xxx,xxx of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You don’t sound too delightful yourself.

This move towards offshore processing was inevitable. Attitudes towards migration have hardened significantly across Europe in the last decade. That trend will continue into the future.

Ireland is a little behind the curve, but recent events will cause wider swathes of the population to question the reckless immigration policies of the last two decades. Expect this approach to be an intrinsic component of future migration policy.

Sorry but I just think your view is so naive. We're so on the cusp of anarchy in most countries in EU, it's unreal. Your talk of "rights' towards "housing" and "health-care" and whatever, as a result of being a "taxpayer" is just so far off the mark. You can "demand" it all you want, and as we've seen in recent times, there's a huge movement gathering out there between various protest groups, but in reality, your government can't no longer afford to provide what you expect. Have a long think about that. Because what you might, and in fairness to you- might "rightly" think you're entitled to- V's, what your government can provide- there's a huge valley between those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,242 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They can afford to enable xxx,xxx of people arriving here with it, so I’d suggest you are the participant in this debate somewhat guilty of naïvety unfortunately….

eu governments need to close the gap and get beck to enabling the wellbeing of taxpayers..

terrible what’s happening in the Ukraine and elsewhere but we can’t hit our own wellbeing to the extent that’s being proposed…it’s bs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It may seem a bit extreme but many are dying trying to cross and they are encouraged by criminals. This will mean go to UK = Rwanda. Surely this would discourage most and save lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd be curious to know in what proportion different courses of action are being taken by people upon arriving on a beach in Kent. Might shed some light on what is being attempted to discourage beyond the boat ride which they're willing to risk death on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

deleted.

Post edited by Fasano on

Surely all this is going to do is force people to look at other ways to the UK? People calling it an off-shore facility are wrong, it's transferring them to Rwanda. If they are given leave to stay it is in Rwanda, not the UK. Anyone who wants to go to the UK, will just find a different way.

Instead of going in dinghys across the channel, where they will be picked up and moved to Rwanda, they will take more dangerous chances.

Like being smuggled in the backs of lorries etc? That seems even more dangerous for people.

Perhaps the traffickers will find other, more dangerous routes to take them?

This really won't solve anything. And we know Boris doesn't really give a ****, but it makes **** of his 'humanitarian response ' to people trafficking.

generally speaking, the reason the number of people making the crossing in dinghies has increased, is because the other ways, such as hiding in the back of a lorry, have become much harder.

I'm not sure what more dangerous options there could be than crammin 30 people in a dinghy designed for 5 people and taking it across the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Google maps says that they can walk back to the UK in 74 days.

Granted, they've to pass through several War torn countries and a desert but a small risk yo get to an English speaking country and their family

well cramming 30+ people into the back of a refrigerated lorry has proved pretty dangerous in the past also.

I just think if someone is determined to go to the UK, they will find another way now, rather then chance being sent to Rwanda

The asylum thing is pretty tiresome. If you woke up in Guatemala in a bathtub with no passport, no money, and for whatever reason, couldn't be helped by Ireland, everyone here would try to make it to America instead of setting up a new life in Mexico.

Why? What was it that he said that was so bad?

I guess it comes down to perspectives. Do you place the needs/desires of foreign groups first, or do you place the needs/desires of the native population first? And no, there's no realistic scope to balance them equally because it hasn't happened across Europe over the last 3-4 decades.

So what’s the solution?

should Europe just set up reception centres in North Africa and provide free flights to the country of their choice?

this is pretty much the only surefire way of stopping people making these hazardous journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Possibly the most out there thing Ive ever read. What does this even mean? Who’s waking up in bathtubs?

• Advertisement

It's a common phrase for people who get drugged, mugged, and have their kidneys removed. But that's not the point.

I'm just saying that this blanket argument that safe refuge is the first country they get to is ignoring the reality that people want safety, but also somewhere to actually succeed in building a life, and if that means an English-speaking country where you know people or there is some network, that's where they'll go.

I used to make that argument years ago as well but reality is that if you're escaping something, you're also trying to get somewhere you think you'll make a new life. Thus my point that everyone here would do the same and try to reach a place like America, Australia, or the UK, instead of a random "safe" country with no support network and where you don't know the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Actually Mexico is a fantastic place, and a lot of the migrants do stay there - Mexican people are very welcoming and friendly, Mexico City is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. The wages are low in comparison to the US, but assuming I woke in a bathtub with my education intact I would happily stay South of the border.

Post edited by Multipass on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ultimately no .

just like similar policies didn't ultimately stop the issue for australia dispite their politicians lieing, it won't do the same for the UK either, because when someone wants to get to a place, they will, somehow some way.

remember also this isn't about saving lives, this is about distracting the cultists from their leader's rampant law breaking and throwing them a bone.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Mexico could have been a great place alright but that other place just to the north with the superiority complex and a huge drug and gun problem keeps dragging it down!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Actually, it was NAFTA that really screwed Mexico. US farmers we're allowed flood their market with cheap subsidized produce, which destroyed local agriculture.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It's better than the populist of it open the borders and let them all in clearly hasn't worked ,

Seems the royal navy will take full control of the channel going forward, should mean they have more assets to track and stop illegal crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I think scheme will be for anyone who claims asylum without coming by the official routes so it would include those in the back of lorries as well as those on rubber boats. Of course some people will just disappear into the black economy and never claim asylum so they'll never be known about.

• Advertisement

Advertisement