Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is there any reason why rwanda? is a tiny country smack damn in the middle of a huge continent.

arsenal sponsorship paying dividends somehow in my cynical mind

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not in reality.

the open the borders policy was simply about not wanting to pay for resources and staff to enforce the border, nothing more, and that policy will continue.

it's just that they will now spend multiples of the cost of that to send these people abroad, and i have no doubt the carriers will name their price and good on them if they do, i hope they screw the british government.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But the important part is illegals being shipped out to a tiny African country on one way tickets,

Other countries could follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,642 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At the end of the day it's proper that undocumented migrants should not be in any country to which they have gone (including Irish in the US).

They are not "undocumented", they are illegal migrants.

The goal should be preventing them travel in the first place. The easiest way to do that is to make it known there is no possible way to becoming legal if they arrived.

And then there's Ireland...

• Advertisement

they could, but eventually those countries are going to start naming their price, and boy will they do so, and no amount of bullying them via foreign aid will change it.

either way, britain not taking responsibility for it's issues will mean it pays a very high cost for this nonsense, only for so long will the cult fans be willing to put up with less funding for domestic services to pay multiple times the costs of dealing with this domestically to have this distraction from borris's law breaking.

you are never going to prevent people from traveling to a country, if they are desperate they will do it no matter what and will succeed dispite claims otherwise.

the syrian conflict and the libyan conflict meant a large refugee and economic migration crisis was always going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like numbers hitting the channel on Small boats already down today , seems the french police are shadowing boats while navy drones track others to make interceptions easier

I suspect its a publicity stunt.. and other destinations will be chosen over time. If it manages to continue.

it's just that they will now spend multiples of the cost of that to send these people abroad, and i have no doubt the carriers will name their price and good on them if they do, i hope they screw the british government.

Actually, I suspect the British government has a lot of leeway to stick it to the carriers themselves. After all, they're supposed to check passports and visas before allowing people to fly with them, and quite often over the last few decades, people have entered the UK illegally because the carriers failed to carry out their responsibilities. While that has often been allowed to slide, I'd imagine the statute on fining these carriers for those failures is still applicable. It gives the British government a lot of space for negotiations.

As for your hope that the screw the govt.. I don't really get the logic there, unless you're supportive of illegal immigration, most of whom will simply be economic immigrants. Seeking a better life, sure, but ultimately expecting the western nation to support them.

Asylum is easily applied for at any nations embassy, and the UK has embassies everywhere. It's not like Ireland who tend to have them only in the major cities. Claiming Asylum with the UK wouldn't be as difficult to attempt... Whether they succeed is another matter entirely, but the system is in place for such claims. So.. why do people enter illegally? because they know they wouldn't be eligible under the standard immigration policies, and generally, that means that they will be a drain on that nations economy.

• Advertisement

Such rubbish about illegal immigrants, illegal immigrants are not eligible for government supports.

Therefore illegal immigrants work under the radar, no employment rights, no benefits from taxes paid. They are at the control of their employer, with nothing to back up their rights.

Its great to actually see UK politicians discuss this issue unlike here, Catholic Ireland the world would think bad of us if we had a spine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's the magic benefits system which gives people without documents free cars, houses and TV from the government at the same time as nobody knows they exist other than the readers of the Daily Heil who can name millions of them living in their street, and they work multiple jobs for cash whilst at the same time never doing any work because they get thousands a day in benefits from a system that doesn't know they exist. The houses they live in are also magical because they apparently are both luxury massive houses from the government, and squats with 50 people to a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Cool story. Did you read that in the Guardian?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Reading this thread before bed, I was surprised to wake up today with the planet still intact and my garden clear of tents and other temporary dwellings. Hysterical stuff here with mucho closet racism on show as well.

"It's the immigrants wot done it"

Look over there at those black people, the Muslims, They're the reason your life is ****.

In UK terms, not the £37billion blown on Test and Trace or the huge chunk of the free ticket £400b Non Dom Sunak was handed to run the financial side of covid, which he transferred to his pals. Not the lying, cheating, lobbying, tax dodging and rank corruption visible in plain sight now.

No, it's the immigrants.

The Brexit soldiers love it that their toffs are rich while they use food banks. The ageing middle class who prop up the whole thing and see their pensions shrink, blame it all on "the darkies".

That's why Rwanda. It was all about Priti dismounting from the government jet and the grand signing with a big UJ at her back. A photo and some red meat for lads and lassies like many on this tread who are dumb enough to be taken in by the con.

Or in Irish terms, not the bankers, politicians, developers, lawyers, accountants who screwed us all and guaranteed that our health system will be in bits for ever. No it was the immigrants.

Real nasty undercurrent in this thread. I need a wash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why would the ECJ even get to rule on this? There is no shared sovereignity on the handling of third-country citizens. It's just that the EU countries recognise the UN and ECHR objectives, where it seems the UK not to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They are not obliged to seek asylum in France and the EU agreed procedures for dealing with asylum seekers does not apply to the UK.

As to why the UK:

• Language would be the obvious one. Most people in under say 35 learn English at school.
    • Another might be recognition of qualifications - The UK has a well developed system of distance education and qualification, so it may well be some of these people have qualifications.
    • And of course familiarity - people will have more about the UK than other countries.
    • Knowing people who have already moved there, even family members

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I was in Rwanda last year, its a beautiful country that has come to terms with its history. There is a high level of English spoken and the streets are safe enough to walk on. Actually its one of my favourite African countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@end of the road, you keep telling us what WONT WORK, so can you kindly tell us what WILL WORK?

With an expected 60,000 people attempting to cross the channel this year, at a cost of “supposedly” $5000 each, this is a $300,000,000 illegal business that needs to be stopped.

Agreed. I've spent a lot of time in the US, but have lived in Mexico too and it (and the food and most of all the people) is just great. Funnily enough they also tend to be more knowledgeable about Ireland's history, than people from the US (in my experience at least). I would also be quite happy to go back there to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why all the way to rwanda, why not some miserable island up in the Shetlands. If you know you'd end up there for processing you'd think twice about leaving France

What bubbly fails to recognise is that even without access to welfare/government supports, illegal immigrants are being supported by a wide range of services provided by the State. Which includes medicine, education, but also the less obvious ones, like the police, fire, etc. Each new person adds a cost to the overall price of maintaining the system... which the taxpayers pay for, and the amount of tax received from illegals is tiny in comparison to those working legally. That's without even mentioning that illegals will operate through a black/hidden market economy, and that also costs the State.

But thankfully money grows on trees, loans or interest are never called on, and everyone who travels to western nations wants to work, and will obey the law... while breaking it by being illegal, but that's not their fault!

Utterly bizarre the lengths some posters will go to defend illegal immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

This is where it’s gotten all screwed up and laws need to be changed and enforced harshly. Asylum is meant to be temporary. It shouldn’t mean a new life in a new country. If you want that, apply through the existing legal avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Crossing the channel on a boat or by lorry and applying for asylum is not illegal. When you can't even get your mind around that then how are you expected to understand anything else?

And applying for asylum

where in my post did I refer to AS? I referred to illegal immigration. I'll put it in bold so you don't confuse the two. AS is not a form of illegal immigration. Although claiming a bogus AS claim would be.

The application for AS suspends the overall migration status of the applicant. They're in stasis as an Asylum seeker, until the government sees fit to extend a visa, which they usually do, and so they become legal. Then their claims are processed, and if failed, their visa is revoked, and they become illegal again.. needing to apply through the normal channels for a legal visa.

Most countries have short stay periods for people crossing over by boat, or other means. Spend a few days or weeks in a country without needing a visa.. but go beyond that grace period, then you are there illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

We can’t take in the whole world. It’s very simple. To me people who want to go to a particular country are not asylum seekers they are migrants. I’m pretty sure Rwanda is being chosen due to the demographic of the migrants arriving in the Uk. It mightn’t be a woke view but life is gonna get a whole lot tougher for everyone and you’re going to see this protectionism and rise of the right. If we don’t end up with WW3 it’ll be a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

Have you a garden?

Live in the suburbs perhaps? little or no immigration in the immediate area or what immigration there is, completely legal?

There's no shortage of a certain class of people signalling and breast beating their status to each other with this issue. Your last, completely unnecessary and nasty comment, is the most revealing of all.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

It mightn’t be a woke view but life is gonna get a whole lot tougher for everyone and you’re going to see this protectionism and rise of the right

Such protectionism could easily come from the Middle, as opposed to this... strange focus everyone these days has with the left/right, and if there are only two sides to everything. It's highly doubtful we'd have WW3 over this. However, immigration and the lack of integration, leads to a breakdown of social cohesion (diversity is our strength, after all), which in turn, spawns violence in the streets... I'm sure you can see the rest of what would come from it at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

No we won’t have WW3 over migration, but there is such a huge amount of turbulence in the world at the moment, when people feel their life is being reduced or their fair share is being reduced you get very discontented people. That’s what would concern me. The polarisation of people.

• Advertisement

yeah, sure.

fining the airlines when the border force didn't do their job either won't stand, because the air lines in reality will have actually followed the regulations and done the checks required.

even if the fines stood, the british government are so desperate for this policy to go ahead that any space for negotiation will in reality not exist, and the fines will be more then covered by the price the carriers will charge.

britain has closed all safe routes to apply for assylum, people can no longer apply at an embasy.

the british government won't win against the air lines or anyone and the use of foreign aid to bully dictator whatever his name is will only work for so long before he starts naming his price.

Advertisement