Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Which makes them economic migrants making a consumer choice

Nope. They still claim asylum, therefore they are asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They're more likely to be working in low skilled jobs and be net negative to our system tbf. Look at the percentage of Africans in Ireland working for one.

Well you can call them whatever you like

They are still asylum seekers however

• Advertisement

The majority call them economic migrants or bogus asylum seekers key word bogus

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The majority do, do they?

Don't suppose you've any proof of that?

I think it's fair to issue another reminder that boards is not reflective of 'the majority'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Working low skilled jobs doesn't make someone a net negative on the economy. For starters they are doing something that the locals can't be bothered to do and without them doing it those roles would be left empty. That is a positive.

As for the percentage of Africans, that is a negligible number in Ireland. Just Ireland hasn't had much in the way of people from other continents relocating there until very recently so it's noticed more. It was a surprise to me on moving from the UK to Ireland how white it was, and felt very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I disagree someone working low skilled jobs and paying feck all taxes is a net negative to the economy (Irish or non Irish). Not every job is necessary, and the only reason Irish won't do a lot of jobs is cos they don't pay enough for the cost of living here. I'd rather tackle the symptoms here and make lower skilled jobs attractive again rather than just keeping the deck of cards going by importing people who'll accept sh1t pay.

The only Ones calling for open doors are a minority .

Opinions hey !

• Advertisement

I have never seen anyone calling for 'open doors ' where does this happen?

You don't want to see deportations even in cases where serious crimes have been committed .

So illegal migrants not to be stopped and foreign criminals not to be deported.

Previous discussions on illegal immigrants ,and foreign criminals , which relates to this topic of illegals being sent to another country

You find any single post where I said that I don't believe in deportations, particularly for anyone convicted of a serious offence. And link to It please.

thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And? They are obliged to pay to return the person to their port of departure. You suggested it could be used to "negotiate with the airlines" - to what end?

What question was directed at me? I may have just missed it, it happens.

There is a massive conflation of various different issues going on here. This process (which I don't think will ever actually come into force but anyway) relates solely to people who claim asylum upon entering the UK. It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

20 years ago if someone said they were bringing aid to the refugee camps in Northern France, your first question would be one of shock: "What the hell is happening in France? A war? A famine?"

No, just a mob loitering around on their own free will, with intent of getting to what they consider to be a legendary promised land. A country we all love to criticize.

The idea of sending them aid or campaigning on their behalf would have been seen as a vile insult against people around the world still trapped in war zones, living with famine, struggling to survive.

They are in France. At the very least they should have been the responsibility of the French, or of whichever country let them into the EU in the first place.

By allowing, or even encouraging them to stay in Calais, the EU and French certainly helped the Brexit campaign no end.

By allowing, or even encouraging them to stay in Calais, the EU and French certainly helped the Brexit campaign no end.

Apart from the fact that while in the EU the UK could have repatriated them to France and now they can't. Not that such things ever bothered those arguing for Brexit.

Anyway, they are the responsibility of France. And when they land in the UK they are the responsibility of the UK.

The point was in reference to another poster about his hope that the airlines would screw the British government on the costs involved in transporting these people. I pointed out that there is room for the British govt to negotiate, giving the example of the flights by illegals as an example. I get the feeling that you're seeking to argue something else entirely.. hence the "to what end" remark, which you wouldn't have said, if you knew the context of my previous statements.

I agree.. I don't think this initiative will come into effect. I think it's a publicity stunt, but it might pave the way for something else in the future. The problem being that it was proposed by Boris, and I can't see anyone continuing anything he suggested after he's gone.

My understanding is that this refers to all the groups who enter the UK illegally, whether that's bogus AS who remain after being denied, those who stay after visas have expired, and lastly, illegal immigrants. As these are all problems that are quite prominent in British peoples minds when they consider this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what the airlines owe the government + the fines would be chump change given they will be naming their price for these flights, which if the british government were to get uppity, could be withdrawn as unviable without government subsidy, for which those airlines will name the price as the british government are so desperate for this to go ahead.

there is just no way around it, everyone bar the british government involved in this distraction for borris and his law breaking will be the winners.

no way would the tiny cost of illegals and enforcement be less or even be outweighed by this distraction for borris's law breaking.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

The airlines won't be involved either way, I suspect it will have to be armed forces transport. There are no direct flights to Rwanda from the UK that I can see.

Illegal immigrants and those who stay after visas have been expired will simply be deported as happens now (and where it doesn't happen for whatever reason nothing will change either). You can not forcibly deport a Brazilian who overstayed their visa to Rwanda - you have to send them back to Brazil. This is literally only for asylum seekers - they admittedly couch this in terms of asylum seekers who have entered illegally but that does not have much legal standing.

Working low skilled jobs doesn't make someone a net negative on the economy. For starters they are doing something that the locals can't be bothered to do and without them doing it those roles would be left empty. That is a positive.

That is a stretch. Not a positive. The reference was to those who are illegal, in that they do not have permission to live and work in the country.. so they won't be paying taxes. Also, they're taking the employment and space of those migrants who wish to avail of the legal entry into the UK. It's not as if the UK has any difficulty drumming up interest in immigration from people with low-skills.

As for the percentage of Africans, that is a negligible number in Ireland. Just Ireland hasn't had much in the way of people from other continents relocating there until very recently so it's noticed more. It was a surprise to me on moving from the UK to Ireland how white it was, and felt very odd.

It's not just Ireland. Look at the stats across Europe, and you'll find Africans listing around 40% unemployed, with the remainder working (or in prison).

As for low numbers in Ireland, you need to visit some towns in the Midlands, and you'll see a lot more Africans. Walking around my hometown, it wouldn't be rare to see 1 in 5 people around being Black (the others often being Eastern European or Asians. The majority are still Irish but that's to be expected). Less than the UK, but still very noticeable considering how Ireland was less than two decades ago. Ireland has undergone a massive demographic shift in a relatively short period of time, that few other nations have experienced themselves. The UKs population was built up over an extended period.

no way would the tiny cost of illegals and enforcement be less or even be outweighed by this distraction for borris's law breaking.

Have you looked at that old piece of research they did on the costs of illegals living/working in the UK to the State? It's not a tiny cost.

But in any case, we're going circular now, and no point continuing. I'll leave it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It felt ‘very odd’, really? The only odd thing here is moving to a European country with zero colonial history and expecting the demographics to resemble a Benetton add.

Very curious indeed.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You said:

"The majority call them economic migrants and bogus asylum seekers."

And now you're talking about people calling for open borders when nobody has said that.

Again, show me the proof that the majority of people call asylum seekers 'economic migrants', or admit that you don't have any. It's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

They'll probably land here instead and Roderic, Bacik and McEntee will give them hotel rooms and then own door accommodation. And if not then they can easily hop across to England from here.

TBH I was kinda shocked when I returned to my hometown to find it so "diverse". Dublin, Galway, Cork, I could understand being desired locations, but Athlone? And yet, there's a rather large population of foreign born (even excluding the foreign university students and Ericssons staff). Sure, there were always a few foreign families, or other ethnic groups, but it's far more noticeable now.. but then, a lot of the younger locals ended up leaving Ireland at different stages so I guess that's part of why they're so noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yeah, it does seem that particular towns have become exceedingly ‘diverse’ whereas others remain almost as homogeneous as they were in the ‘90s. Dublin is actually an interesting case study. The affluent coastal suburbs, both north and south of the river remain virtually untouched by multiculturalism. Conversely, working class north west Dublin has become highly diverse in pockets.

My point is in relation to that rather idiotic post, feigning surprise that Ireland was and remains largely white. Any English person I’ve ever met, knows intrinsically that Ireland isn’t as diverse as England. Indeed, it’s an attraction for some. Only on boards would you have somebody claiming this is ‘very odd’. The mentality of some posters is just incredibly tedious sometimes.

Post edited by Hamachi on

I'd guess it's related to the desire for a more diverse population.. a bit of disappointment that the vague goal of having the population non-white be close to 50%ish hasn't been reached yet. Although I notice there's rarely any interest in the SE Asians living here, everything seems focused on the darker shades of skin. And the foreign white population here, such as the Eastern Europeans, or such, might as well be invisible to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

A garden no less. There's swank.

As a straw man, it's pants though.

Look over there, it's the garden owners. And the immigrants. They're my enemies. Not lads in suits who stole your money.

Another mark to keep the wheel turning.

I know two Polish lads who make a fortune doing people's gardens. Feeding a niche in the market. They have two vans now and the best of kit.

Are they good immigrants? Or do you have a particular type in mind? Bet you do.

Advertisement