Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something fishy going on here...

• 14-04-2022 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭

I've been observing this behaviour on the local river the last few evening. It could be going on all day but I'm only there in the evening. It's only happening in the same 20m stretch, doesn't seem to be moving up nor down stream.

A couple of people have suggested to me it's Salmon 'smolts', juvenile Salmon gathering to go to sea. But, they look more like Perch or Roach to me. I thought it was maybe some kind of mass spawning going on but they don't look like adult fish.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A school of fish at recess? 😋

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Seriously, though - if it only goes on at certain times of the day (or the evening), could it be that there are swarms of midges flying overhead and that the fish are catching them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

This is we we trout anglers call "a rise", fish are rising to either hatching or dying aquatic insects. River looks fairly still and its evening time so I would guess some sort of midge. They could be trout or smolts or even course fish like roach, dace, unlikely to be perch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's smolts rising to evening midges above a pool.

Advertisement