Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7Seaters Ireland

• 14-04-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here was dealt with 7Seaters Ireland and would care to comment on this please. I am in the market for a 7 Seater, (2016 or newer) and 120,000km or less and they seem to have the most stock at present.

Post edited by GerardKeating on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

The Ford Tourneo will be similar to the Berlingo. The others are all on the smaller size so if you need decent size seats in the third row or want some boot space with all seats in use they aren't a great choice. If you prefer something more refined look for a Ford Galaxy, S-Max or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mon of them other cars he mentions are smaller than the Tourneo.

The Sharan is just as big as the Galaxy you mention and the others are big enough too.

@OP Just try each car out and pick the one that you like the best that suits you the best.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

i would pick a car first and then find the best one. No idea on this dealer if good or bad but the Naas Rd area hardly a problem free area

I have owned lots of 7 seaters over my time. Probably the best in driving terms was the smax, which was as close to driving a car as I found. Moved to Galaxy and massive space but driving a transit. The Alhambra is same size but a lot nicer driver.

Do you have any preferences? What age kids etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Just in case you are not aware Dacia have a 7 seater available. Not quite the same as the other ones you mention but it's a good family hauler and the cheapest on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yeah, I did a test drive in one last week, they due in dealers for August/September. My choice is that, or spend 15-20k on a second hand car. The company i mention seemed to be the people with the most stock, so was interested to see peoples experience with them

• Advertisement

The Dacia has a really low NCAP rating. That alone would rule out any of their cars for me. From what I seen online the new 7 seater is a 1 star as well but I could be wrong. Just seen it shared the other day.

A lot of the ncap rating is technology based. So automatic emergency braking is now required to get 5 stars. Features like seatbelt reminders and airbags and lane assist all play a part in pushing up the score. It's an industry like any other and while I would also appreciate all the bells and whistles that go in expensive cars there is no substitute for careful safe driving. And a 1 star rating is not unsafe in any way.

I would happily put my kids in one.

I beg to differ. NCAP was introduced to give people a view of how safe a car was. I remember years ago the test been done live on TV to show the difference. Volvo always won. Anyway this is the link to describe how they get to a rating.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/the-ratings-explained/

This is a 1 star: 1 star safety: Marginal crash protection and little in the way of crash avoidance technology

A 3 star has average crash protection.

No chance I would risk my kids or myself in a car with a rating like that.

This is 2 & 3 to give a view

2 star safety: Nominal crash protection but lacking crash avoidance technology

3 star safety: At least average occupant protection but not always equipped with the latest crash avoidance features

Yet it also goes on to explain that due to the new testing standards and focus on advanced technology that ‘this also means that a car which is rated poorly is not necessarily unsafe, but it is not as safe as its competitors that were rated better

A good article on how technology and changing standard in the ncap system can turn 5 star cars into zeros when nothing has changed.

ncap does need an improvement so people don't run the mantra of 1 star bad. 5 star good as it's now a complicated assessment and needs additional clarity to quantify just what this means in reality.

I see you recommending Dacia across loads of thread....

I found the following. No side-curtain air bags and the occupant safety numbers seem low.

Dacia's MPV scored 70% for adult occupant safety and 69% for child occupant safety. It managed a 41% score for vulnerable road user protection and 39% for its safety assist functions.

The Jogger also lost marks because it didn't offer a seatbelt reminder for the rearmost seats and the side-curtain airbag didn't provide sufficient protection for those seated in the back. 

This kind of says it all to me, I want to pay for my families safety to be honest.

The Romanian firm reiterated that it wouldn't "chase Euro NCAP stars" or implement features and technologies "that customers don't want to use and/or pay for". 

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by cars like that? The cars we drove 10 years ago would likely score 0 to 1 stars today. Even though they got 4 and 5 stars at the time. The 5 star cars of today are the zero rated cars of tomorrow... Are you unsafe knowing this? The ncap machine needs to keep moving forwards and car manufacturers are probably too reactive in building cars to get stars even when all regulations are met.

Does lane assist and aeb make you safer? Well it could do. But by how much? It this a 0.1% improvement based on a 1 in 1 million occurrence? Or will we decide that these features actually gave us a false sense of security in years to come?

Dacia are right to avoid the bottomless technology trap in the quest for infinite feelings of safety. And their popularity with families across the world tells its own story.

Ford Tourneo was mentioned

84% for adult, 82% for child and 69% for road user compared to

70%, 69% and 41% for the Dacia. That's a huge difference. This is not comparing safety features which you say we should ignore. I personally think the back seat belt indicator is critical for kids as they are always messing and can take them out without you knowing

Dacia are cutting corners to keep the price down. If people are willing to accept additional risk to their life and their families to save a few quid that's their choice. I am just pointing out to the people you are recommending to

My car's have the following rating's

89%, 86%, 75% and then 75% on safety features.

95%, 89%, 76% and 78%

NCAP was introduced so people know which cars are safer, you are trying to tell people now to ignore that.

Maybe a discussion for another thread and sorry to OP, this will be my last post on it.

No one should ignore ncap. But they must constantly downgrade star ratings so only the newest shiniest cars get the best ratings.

Having children in the first place is incredibly risky. Having lots of debris in a car (toys and bric a brac) can be a lethal projectile in a crash. As is speeding which most people do without a thought.

The op I am sure can make a good interpretation and compare the 2016 ncap rating of a 2nd hand car choice to any newer equivalent and the primary and more subtle differences that the ncap system brings in over time.

The jogger will be a game changer and a much needed economical 7 seater in what is a very expensive and limited choice segment. That's good for consumers and only a choice. No one need buy it if they don't want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I’ve been told to swerve the Naas Road area when buying from a dealership. I was looking at buying a seven seater a couple of years ago. If you google the reviews on these guys it makes for interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just as a follow up, I eventually decicded to splurge out on a new car, and have order a Dacia Jogger...

Advertisement