Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm not aware of any nurses or doctors vlogging during their work. Firstly, they wouldn't be allowed to and secondly they wouldn't have the time to. If any of them had done so without express permission, then they should definitely be thinned from the herd.

The twitter staff vlogging videos are many. I've only watched a couple of short ones, but what struck me was that they were not actually doing any work and there was a distinct lack of staff anywhere in the vicinity. It was like the whole place they worked was some sort of safe space with quiet rooms and free stuff. Much closer to what you would see on a college day free of lectures than a place of work.

It would be easy to see where productivity was happening, so i'm sure the vast majority of positions axed were places of little importance, in need of major change, or with little to no productivity. They're all getting paid for 3 months, so plenty of time to find new employment for their valuable transferable skills.

I've had clients who work(ed) in all the major tech companies including twitter, facebook, linkedin and google. The general consensus over the years is that the only people doing any work are the people on the advertising campaigns, R&D and the engineers (mostly pm). The common term I heard across the sector was "flake" referring to a large portion of staff who did almost no work and spent their time in huddle meetings, or chill rooms. Seems there is a lot of money floating around and few with real responsibility or skin in the game.

It doesn't matter if staff are on site for 40, 50, 60 hours per week if they are spending almost all that time doing no tangible work. Sure, who would want to go home when it's so comfortable being at work and nobody is putting you under pressure? The open letter to Elon Musk from the staff was a prime example of the sense of entitlement many of the staff have. Many of them will now have to enter the real world of work and I feel sorry for them and their new employers, because there is going to be some serious learning curves up ahead. The reduction of mental health weeks off will be a shock to their system. Assigned gender toilets will have some fainting in corridors. Lack of safe space and yoga rooms will be too much to handle for the veteran twits.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Insult someone that people who care about free speech cared about.

Musk stating that they want to be a very accurate source of information implies a massive, massive amount of censorship will be coming down the line. He is already contradicting himself as "free" speech that he claims to want on twitter no longer includes the right to be wrong. Does this mean people will get immediately banned for all those right wing conspiracy theories about Paul Pelosi?

Granted he says a lot of things so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll be honest, I hope Musk loses every cent he's invested in Twitter. The more of these tech billionaires that go spectacularly bust, the quicker politicians will be to finally tax the bastards properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A lot of reports confirming twitter are trying to rehire many of the people they dropped last week. Im guessing somebody realised axing virtually your entire SRE team is a pretty terrible idea, especially considering all the changes elon is looking to implement.

Yes....I see your logic. Billionaires who go bust pay more tax. Wait.....

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Watching on with interest here. I have a twitter account but rarely use twitter.

I think 44BN for it was absolutely nuts. It will NEVER be worth that kinda coin again. Not sure what Musk is hoping to achieve - he could have setup his own platform for a fraction of the cost and with far more control!

/whoosh... let me break it down for you:

Billionaires only exists because of a failure of tax policy.

As we're seeing with Zuckerburg and Meta and Musk and Twitter, allowing spoiled twats to control such amounts of wealth is a bad idea.

So if we tax them properly on their way up, preventing them from ever becoming billionaires in the first place, we'll avoid the problems they create when they get bored of having too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You won't find anyone in America looking to raise taxes for rich people.

Twitter trying to turn into boards by the sounds of it. Remove any sense of humour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

Which is why parts of America are beginning to resemble a 3rd world country with huge homelessness, high crime and disgusting levels of medical bankruptcies.

It's unfair to say that no-one in America has the sense to raise taxes on the rich, they just don't exist in high enough numbers (yet?) to overcome their flawed electoral system and the embedded corruption. One can only hope that younger generations who are growing up with the likes of Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez getting high profile media coverage will learn from the mistakes of their forebears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The right don't seem to be able to set up a successful one.

They need the wokey leftists to do it for them.

Some of the security issues with Parler were hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Half of this thread were "worrying" about impersonations in regard to people losing blue check marks, someone then impersonates another blue check mark, something we were told is a serious and dangerous thing. Musk then reacts and punishes the person who did the act we were warned about, yet still somehow he's in the wrong? All this shows us is that the crying class are literally unpleasable.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are only 500k blue tick users , their not seeings ads will be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

People were pointing out that that impersonation will become a lot easier if people can just buy a blue tick - which is the thing it was designed to stop.

I actually think he was wrong to ban her so quickly, too. He came up with new rules for parody accounts when he saw what could happen due to his new policy but didn’t even give her a chance to cooperate with them in the form of a warning(which is very much the approach old twitter would have taken with ToS breaches).

But I’m sure everyone who’s been crowing about Elon “Free Speech” Musk in this thread will have no problem with him immediately booting someone off the platform for mocking him. And I’m sure advertisers will love the idea of an unstable platform that can change completely on the whim of one man.

The point of the blue tick users is that there should be more of them. That is the point that ordinary people and "elite" people would be treated the same and you can't do that without both sides of that having the blue tick mark. This is also the way that he wants to combat bots, if everyone buys it means people with bots would need to spend 8 dollars a bot to be a realistic bot (as most unverified will be bots). So if it doesn't have a large effect on advertising then the entire blue tick overhaul will be a failure.

Yeah Musk has become a hysterical hate figure for some reason.

Many in Ireland probably hadn't even heard of him til this hysteria broke out on RTE.

I read that twitter isn't even in the top 10 used social media platforms. It's a niche social media platform for those interested in the news and politics.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That was bound to happen when they rushed the cuts.

Not a chance in hell that they had the time to properly review who/what they were cutting..

So now they'll have to go back and either re-hire or bring them back as contractors for way more money.

I mean if you were a person that was summarily booted on Friday morning and today they are back saying "Actually , we really need you back as we forgot you were working on this really important stuff" you are going to absolutely go to town on them before you'll come back.

My own employer made that mistake years ago during the dot com bust - Laid off a load of engineers and then had to bring them all back as contractors a few days later at rates massively above what their salaries were. Kept them as contractors for about 2 years and then hired them all back as employees several grades higher than when they laid them off.

Thank you for that very detailed tax plan for billionaires, or wannabe billionaires. To summarise: Don't let anyone become a billionaire because they won't pay tax. Hmmmm. If billionaires don't pay tax, does that mean you (presumably a PAYE worker) have paid more tax than Musk?

Just to be clear here. As we are discussing Twitter and Musk, you do know the man paid $11 BILLION in taxes last year, right? Of course, certain agenda driven folk don't think that's enough and wouldn't be happy until everyone is on the average industrial wage no matter what they do, or don't do in life. Just look at the equality.org story about his unfair share of taxes paid. Bleeding heart society. They seem to bent out of shape because he found ways to only pay 11 billion 😂

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yeah, I thought you completely jumped the shark there.

Free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence.

That's why incitement to violence, bullying, and all the rest, are forbidden under Musk's terms of use. Nobody, not one person, has suggested changing this.

An imaginary fiction has been allowed to take hold by critics of Musk - deliberately in my opinion - that Musk wants to open the floodgates to hell, stop all forms of moderation, and transform Twitter into a Neo-Nazi cesspit where references to Hitler and Mussolini are the most common proper nouns.

I've repeatedly asked for evidence where he specifically wants to do this, and no evidence has come forth.

There's a reason for that. Because it's entirely made up, an invented fiction designed to smear Musk.

So don't be persuaded by the manufactured hysteria and misinformation that critics of Musk would want you to believe.

Better to listen to the man himself:

Elon Musk wants to end the spam-bot problem, verify users, expand the range of services on offer, improve search capability, preserve reasonable freedom of speech for all sides of the political spectrum, and attempt to make the business sustainable and profitable.

Who could seriously argue against that?

All the talk of fascists, neo-Nazis, and opening the floodgates to hell are, at this stage, utterly embarrassing.

He doesn't want to do any of that of that except the profitable business bit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The big issue with the super wealthy is the fact that they don't pay anything for their "unrealised gains" on their shareholdings/investments.

Everybody else in the US does though - Through Property taxes.

If I bought a house 10 years ago for 250k and now it's worth say 400k I've been paying property taxes on that house every year and I'm paying them based on its current value even though I haven't "realised" the potential gains from the increased value of the house.

If instead I'd spent 250k on Stock 10 years ago , I would not have paid a penny in taxes

Average Property in the US is about 1% (much higher in some places) so the property owner above has been paying between $2500 and $4000 every year for the last 10 years , maybe $35k all in, whereas the stock/share owner has paid absolutely nothing.

Imagine the amount of money that would be able for things like Education and healthcare if all "assets" were taxed equally??

His announcements over the past couple of days - indeed, things he has been saying for months - would render that statement utterly false.

You seem to know what Musk wants more than Musk himself.

Which of the two is more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Only the other day he was sharing inaccurate nonsense.

He's all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suspected that it was going to be a train-wreck under Musk but I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. He very clearly has absolutely no idea what he's doing and is making up the rules as he goes along. With users and advertisers streaming for the exits and him paying an estimated triple what the company is actually worth he's basically created a massive rod to beat himself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Openly impersonating someone to push her political opinions. Big no no and against Twitters rules. Always was.

The site is better without her on it

• Advertisement

lol. His actions say otherwise. His statements are just to convince people like you to give him money and for his own ego. He just says some buzzwords and his fans lap it up.

Advertisement