Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To err is human to totally **** up it took Musk

Believe it or not Twitter will survive, Musk will be gone within a month. He is being sued by Tesla, the banks will protect there investment ( lending) they will be taking control within weeks.

Dorsey or someone similar will be back in control before Christmas.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

You maybe right. But would not hold my breath in twitter now being toxic to advertisers. Even if you get a left wing takeover advertisers may not want to be involved with them.

It would, if it were a publicly quoted company and he was just the CEO. He’d have been out on his ear faster than you could say Liz Truss.

However, this is very much a private fiefdom. He can burn money, ignore everyone and everyone and crash it into the ground for sport.

He’s literally on Twitter at the moment philosophically blabbering :

The thread is quite something …

Tesla is a different story - there’s a board and shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Musks failure is going to be blamed on "left wing". Predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

Core engineering team allegedly gone

what a genius, threatening employees!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I rolled my eyes any harder at this idea Twitter was left wing, or a left wing conspiracy against Musk, they'd fly out my head. way back fadó in this thread you had idiots whooping cos Saint Musk has sacked the "Blue hair brigade" and Twitter was going to amazing: everything has to be woke paranoia, everything has to be politicised to confirm their little worldview or bias. (Or as is often the reality, they're simply salty there are consequences now for being a cúnt online).

I'd be delighted if Twitter disappeared but to call it left wing? Big snort.

The place I was in knew 100% what they were doing, especially the obnoxious and mercurial boss-owner; he was of this type, you'd swear they were building homes for the poor the way he spoke of his company. Loved making videos and promotions with him in them acting the maggot. But he knew his employees were burned out wrecks sleeping under desks and working into the night; he didn't care.

The really bizarre thing was they intentionally hired "wrong". By that I meant I was hired as a web designer (my skill at the time), then dumped into the design studio to design print material. Too young to know better and go "uhhhh, that's not my wheelhouse", turned out half the staff were similar amd parachuted into roles they had no qualification for.

I recently checked and they're still around: acquired by a larger entity and I saw some of the senior designers were still there. Perhaps by coincidence I recall they had no children or partners.

Anyone who thinks an office job requires 60, 79, 80 hour weeks as a normal is a cúnt. There's not a single justification for it, beyond simple misanthropy, or sociopathy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suspect the core Dev team would be the best of the best, in terms of Twitter's engineering tech departments - they'd know full well they could walk into any other role in manys a company without a problem and and were probably already getting offers through recruiters.

So yeah, who'd stick around a company where the workforce was slashed and suddenly nobody's safe?

Maybe Musk read about "disruptors" and took the wrong conclusion.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why are assuming that no one brought a case? What particular form of monitoring do you expect them to bring a case against?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Claims of 75% here, and that those staying are largely ones on visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Stupid left wing code monkeys weren't willing to pull up their bootstraps put in the hours to achieve papa Elons glorious ideals /s

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's been in control of the place a little over two weeks and he's either fired or run off ~90% of staff it would seem.

Even Trump doesn't destroy companies that fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will be interesting to see if there's any effect on tesla's share price when the stock markets open.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In hindsight, this now feels less like a comeback (a genius epic comeback according to some here) and more like Musk trying to sell Twitter to AOC for what he'll eventually make it worth

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ElitesTeam

I cannot believe how soft people are here about a billinaire buying twitter and doing what he wants with it. The same people who laugh when someone they dont like gets banned and the sprout "its a private company so no free speech" then Must blocks someone and the tears start flowing. always the same posters with thousands of posts but I guess they are as active as here as probably twitter. Stop wasting your lives posting rubbish and enjoy your lifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Maybe this is how Musk is planning to help Truth Social be a success?

That's some bluff-calling by the 75% - if it's true. Where does that leave Musk? Be stubborn and go ahead with the layoffs? Then Twitter truly will collapse in quick-order 'cos the absence of critical numbers to maintain a global set of IT services will guarantee that. And as much of a brazen vulgarian as Musk behaves, he can't be that knowingly foolish to go ahead with the sackings - but then not to makes him look like a weak leader (for those who put stock in such a thing).

It's car-crash stuff.

• Advertisement

To be fair nothing is going to make Truth Social be a success.

Elon has, however, effectively turned the previously rather obscure, open source Mastodon network and protocol into a huge deal, and achieved all that in less than two weeks!

In my case the boss would come up with ludicrous stuff. I remember being sent on wild goose chases all over the country for absolutely no reason. I was made work in an empty office, doing nothing all over Christmas other than it was to show me I was the most junior

I won’t derail the thread by going on…

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can’t wait till Musk say this was his plan all along to burn down Twitter and rebuild it from the ashes he created with his new platform Phoenix which rises from the ashes of Twitter and the fanboys lap it up proclaiming him, the greatest minds in the history of world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Watching a billionaire(and proclaimed genius) buy a company for way over the valuation and seeing every very public decision he’s made backfire is fascinating. It’s a complete car crash and will continue to be so until Musk isn’t making the decisions.

That’s extremely unlikely. This is isn’t the kind of thing you can just showboat into. Twitter was a phenomenon because it had scale and evolved at a time when things like smartphones were coming into mainstream use.

It was never about a cult of personality leadership, quite the opposite actually, it was entirely about the broad range of people and personalities on it and the networks and interaction that grew up on it. Some of them were incredibly positive, some were incredibly negative, but it was an almost organic thing.

All Twitter does is provide a platform. It was simple, low key and often quite low tech in its early days. It was the internet’s dingy pub where where all the important stuff happened.

Now it’s been bought by some ego of a landlord who’s decided to turn it into the very thing it should never be.

He won’t make a success of this because he doesn’t know what ‘this’ is and it can’t be all about him.

hardly bluff calling. i'd say the majority of employees have been job hunting given the events of the past few weeks, and offering them three month's severance is a godsend for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Where in any of this have you seen people complaining about what hes doing, everyone's laughing at him and his fanboys which you sound like you are deffinitely one of.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

At least when it goes under Musk's Saudi's & Qatar backers who pumped in over $2b betwen them won't have a backdoor into spying on there people on the platform and be able to jail and murder them for tweeting negatively about Saudi & Qatar on the back of Musk taking there money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We've been hearing that twitter is a cesspit for years.

So those who hate it will be happy to see the back of it.

• Advertisement

There are good and bad points about Twitter going.

It has turned, at least in part, into a hell scape in the last few years, of that there is no doubt.

However, I don’t think you can blame Twitter or the internet itself for American polarised politics or various other messes. It’s just a reflection of the chaos in certain societies and tends to amplify them and make the cracks more obvious.

Twitter wasn’t the only place that was going on and in various more niche forums and platforms it’s far, far, far worse. Social media in general can do that.

Plenty of Twitter was completely non-toxic, fun, friendly, useful and even very positive. It very much depended on what networks you were moving in. There were debates that happened and movements that formed, mostly on Twitter, that were hugely important, but it can be an accelerant in good and bad ways.

I think though the platform is over. It’s a phenomenon of the early days of smartphones - a very simple microblogging service that grew to huge scale. We’ll all just move on to whatever grows next, and maybe this time we’ll manage to inject a bit more nuance and sanity to it, but we probably won’t.

Advertisement