Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

He has made some changes, some incorrectly no doubt, but to say he has fcuked this up royally is a bit ignorant.

He has done marketing’s job for them, companies advertise based on popularity, not on moral stances, whatever reaches the target audience and the masses is where the dollars are spent.

I get that this looks more like coronation street than a top tech company at the moment but the idea that a random on boards is giving one of the most successful CEO’s in the world advice is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

First off, "built it and they will come" rarely works. You have to have a wide variety of people plugging away making any company successful. The next big thing is snapping at your heels, users are fickle, and the "best" doesn't always win out.

Secondly, it's quite easy to look in from the outside (or even from the inside) and say "well, that whole section is useless, get rid of them all. Marketing, who needs it?". Inevitability, when that does happen, you get a about 2 months before you realise all the valuable things those people actually did, and then you have to start hiring those positions back, or delegating that work to people who are already doing other jobs. I worked for a company that decided to get rid of all the receptionists of all the offices, because we weren't a public-facing company, so we didn't need someone sitting at each door for 8 hours a day answering the door or the phone. They installed a bell in the main office floor, and redirected the main number to random desk phones as cover. I can tell you, it got old pretty fast as a developer or project manager having to jump up and go to the door for someone handing in flyers, or answer the phone to some random cold-caller that you had business talking to. So eventually we all gave up and then the small amount of legitimate visitors and callers weren't being answered, which caused chaos. So while it seemed on paper that the receptionists were a waste of time, because they spend most of their time dealing with useless callers, they were actually very valuable to the company as they let the rest of us get on with "proper" work without all these distractions. And that's before you even got to all the other useful things things the receptionist did that weren't taken into account when they were let go.

Thirdly, maybe the problem is that it isn't rocket science. Musk seems to have built a fairly successful company in SpaceX by hiring experts and giving them the space (pun intended) and budget to build genuinely innovative machines. But with Twitter, he seems to have approached it as a user with gripes, fired or pissed off all the experts and assumed that he has the expertise himself to just take away the things that personally annoyed him about his favourite pastime, and that it would magically be a business success. It clearly isn't working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if reports are true that after having fired half the workforce, 75% of those remaining want to leave, saying 'he has fucked this up royally' is an understatement, rather than being ignorant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True. I had been wondering how the workplaces in SpaceX and Tesla worked out, but as you remark those are much more niche industries, wherein its employees would have had fewer options to move onwards to. Twitter's developers have an entire globe's worth of companies. Exponentially larger when you take into account how much more common Remote working has become (Musk again showing his archaic views when he pushed against Remote working a mere weeks ago).

"Ignorance" is steaming into an industry about which you know nothing, making no attempts to understand the company as it is exists now. Advertisers have paused their spend in Twitter. Musk had vital services turned off because he didn't understand the changes in Web Development in the 20 years since PayPal, then tried to threatened an ultimatum on the remaining 50% of staff - those currently trying to keep the lights on after arbitrary firings no doubt caused a huge brain-drain. An ultimatum that backfired if rumours are to be believed - with core development now showing gaps. The launch of the Blue Tick subscription was an instant disaster; admire Musk the Engineer all you want, but he has fúcked up Twitter.

Still plenty of time to recover and rebuild but he has brought a hammer to a situation that needed a scalpel, then tried to gaslight employees into thinking this is brave, innovative thinking. "Oh but he's rich?" isn't an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Do you think being a successful CEO makes him infallible? Do you think his success with companies in one industry means he can't possible fail in a company in another completely different industry?

He's burdened Twitter with huge amounts of debt. Advertising revenue is down since Musk took over (by his own admission). They had to nix the Twitter Blue programme after a few days because it was so poorly thought out and implemented which means further loss of planned revenue until they get it back up. They've lost huge amounts of experienced staff and the wealth of knowledge of Twitter's internal systems with it.

Making a success of Tesla and SpaceX does not mean he can make a success of Twitter. He's a man, and he's just as fallible as everyone else. The only difference is scale of the success/failure.

• Advertisement

That’s the thing though isn’t it, all the outrage and drama is taking place on social media and discussion platforms.

In the real world 75% won’t leave, it’s one thing being outraged and dramatic but the bottom line is always what’s important

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The scenario outlined was a photo being displayed for human verification, so that’s an actual photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

anybody who didn't agree to his new work conditions would be fired. So either musk sticks to that or shows himself to be weak. a really dumb move by him.

So do bullies. It’s very hard to bully on Zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I always laugh at this ''random on boards'' put down. This has been the excuse for the last couple of weeks but the sh!ts is still continuing. There is an old saying business is business. Musk has forgotten that axiom. He went in to Twitter with a personal vendetta and has proceeded to burm it down.

Wait until you see the end of year figures. He will have saving on staff costs but they will swallowed up by loss in advertising revenue.

Twitter wage bill was 650-700 million. Advertising revenue was 5 billion. You do not have to be an economic genius to see where he will loose and save money.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't see one person stating they knew everything about the internal operations of a multi billion dollar company. As a matter of fact, many here have expressly stated that they are NOT experts in such fields.

However, the abandonment of advertisers (By Musk's own admission) was predicted by pretty much everyone here and on tangentially-related threads. Again, all while stating variations of "Well I'm no expert but..." Not because ANY of these posters had expert knowledge but simply that, in their own opinion, the outcome was obvious (and verified). Yes, I'm sure a certain pillow manufacturer may advertise on Twitter 6 months from now but many (Certainly Me) believe that a less diverse userbase means a less valuable pool of data for advertisers which means that it would be of more benefit for them to spend their money on more valuable data pools. Look at Facebook: Its core demographic is older, probably more fiscally conservative than other platforms (Honestly, when was the last time Facebook was "down with the kids"? Has anyone EVER clicked on an ad on Facebook?).

The next big thing is six months away, whatever it is. It will explode and, after 3 years or so the most valuable demographic (16-25 year-olds) will move on and leave it to their parents and it will implode and the next hot thing will pop up

Having an opinion does not mean that someone believes they are an expert. Just as watching discredited Covid "experts" on Social Media does not make one a virologist.

By the looks of it, a bunch of random Boardsies would have done a better job on assessing what the company was about than the current owner did!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No one is an expert , but lots of people on here work or have worked in large global tech companies that have undergone big changes in their time - Takeovers , Acquisitions , Downsizing etc. and as such have a view on what has worked/not worked in other companies.

Pretty universally , the types of decisions being made in recent weeks by Twitter are very similar to ones taken by other companies in the past and in almost all cases those choices were bad ones - People are simply sharing their experiences and viewpoints.

Maybe Musk is indeed a genius and something amazing will emerge but based on the history of the tech industry and all of the successes and failures that have been seen and reported on over the years, all current indications are that he is making a lot of major decisions in a very short period of time that have never worked any of the times they have been tried before by lots of other CEOs.

He could have done a better job by just doing nothing and figuring out the business before acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I still think we're missing something. I don't know. I mean these actions, to me, don't look like the actions of someone who doesn't know what he's doing. These look intentional.

I mean we've all been there: Some new manager comes in and says "Right, I'm gonna shake things up. Whip everyone into shape. Ye're great but we could ALL be better" only to find that internal politics and procedures hit home and they realise they can only do so much without causing more hassle than it's worth. So they come in, outsource X amount (Some successfully, some not) and then hit a wall as business (rightly or wrongly) resists change "Meh, if it ain't broke, don't fix it" "It IS broke" "Yeah, but it's not THAT broke. It's OUR broke and we are used to it".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most of us wouldn't have tried to buy and run a company in an industry we knew nothing about in the first place!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know what you mean - It has the feel of the old-school corporate raider type that buys the struggling old manufacturing company and then just burns the place down but holds onto the key assets and re-tools the company with a leaner and meaner outsourced manufacturing model and makes lots of money 12-18 months later.

But Twitter doesn't build stuff and its assets are the user base and the information it captures about those users for its advertisers.

In the online Social Media world , if you burn the place down those users aren't going to come back - They will just move on to the next thing and the advertisers will follow them.

He THINKS he knows what he is doing because of his ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

100% correct.

Like, no one here have any experience running car and aerospace companies where he also failed. Oh, wait. He didn't. That's the difference between him and us. Not only his inherited wealth, but his willingness to go head on where us won't even dream trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

We seem to be at the stage where even his supporters have nothing positive to say about his tenure at twitter.

Now it’s either the fault of “the left” or just vague mockery about not knowing what happens inside a company like it’s some massive secret, or just putting down people for discussing it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

When in doubt, blame the 'wokes'! It's the pronoun police wot done it

None of us may have been in a decision making position for a large corp like twitter, but more than some of us have been on the receiving end of these kinds of upheavals in a company and recognise some of these patterns from the employee PoV.

Maybe one should also consider Elon's blind spots here in this particular area, the limits of his own perspective(s), rather than focusing on how uninformed the boards members are

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On the one hand, we got attempts to divine meaning in Musk's actions surfaced either through his own, quantifiable words (re. advertising revenue), or the words of those close to employees within the company - and charting the chaos within.

On the other hand, we have intermittent jibes that he's rich, ergo, he's probably doing great and who are we to question it?

No actual quantity to comments, just insults. Says volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure give any of us 44bn and a chance.

Common sense would have avoided most of Musks errors.

His "willingness" is due to his wealth.

The random comment was in response to the Elon fanboi comment, and the poster knows it. I have thick skin and have never hit a report post in my life, but I will get down into the weeds if necessary, no problem at all.

however there are facts that random boardsies may be ignorant to, and one of those is that all companies revenue and spend will be down this year in the current climate so year end reports may not be an accurate gauge, and it is actually possible to increase revenue whilst reducing headcount

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭LastFridayNight

I disagree- I doubt he could have done a better job. He's been playing a blinder actually. That is, if you believe his number one job was to make a splash and get people talking about him. The phase 'Follow the money' doesn't apply when you're already stupidly rich. At some point, the phase 'Follow the ego' is way more appropriate. Sure, at some level he want's to make twitter successful. But first, the most important business of the day is 'look at me, look at me!'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That argument that there is 'no such thing as bad publicity' falls down with many examples. Two recent being Kanye and Trump.

Its very easy now for the World to punish toxic behaviour. The connected globe has meant commercial punishment can be swift and it can be devastating.

Twitter's outgoing staff have a direct line to an audience of billions to give their side of the story.

I somehow doubt that even Musk will be keen to have people talking about him, when that talk is about the time he personally and speedily detonated €44,000,000,000. Most of it borrowed.

So Twitter have locked the doors on all it's buildings worldwide because they are concerned that disgruntled staff might carry out physical sabotage of Company assets.

Twitter has temporarily closed its office in Dublin, and in locations around the world, as more staff chose to leave, sparking new concerns about the site's ability to stay online.

According to reports in the US, the social media giant has closed its offices until Monday over fears disgruntled staff could sabotage the company.

How utterly terrible a job do you need to do as a leader that your staff go from being relatively normal and functional to "at risk of physically wreaking the place" in less than three weeks??

$44 billion for a domain name…. Was it really worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

*Something* *something* Leftist *something* *something* Antifa *something* *something* MUSK HARDCORE!!!

Advertisement