Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've found the type of interaction I've had on Twitter just got worse and worse over the last few weeks. Even a number of people who I found fairly ok to bounce tweets back and forth with are suddenly all posting way more aggressively and just generally being obnoxious. Got into a couple of really remarkably unpleasant interactions - and just was thinking, wtf am I even doing here interacting with these people for?! They're just picking fights over nothing.

It had been going a bit like that over the last while - I think though once the free for all whistle went up when he took over, things really have gone to hell.

I couldn't be bothered posting there anymore and just got rid of my account entirely. I'm not high profile, so I'm not bothered about impersonation or any of that stuff. I just want out.

I don't really trust them with my data and I don't want to be contributing content or interacting on a platform that's so toxic. I mean what's the point? Life's too short and you have to write some things off or they'd drive you mad.

I'm just realising in the last few days that it was actually contributing to me being stressed out a lot too. I feel way more chilled out since I ditched it.

I mean, yeah .. it was handy for news and all that, but something else will emerge somewhere else without all the rest of the baggage that goes with that hellscape.

Mastodon seems alright, but it's too early to really predict exactly what will emerge at the end of this, but I think Twitter's on its way to becoming some kind of Parlour / Truth Social mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lies because the account that sends far right extreme terrorists to attack a children’s hospital says so?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Good spot, Musks fanboys love calling everyone pedo's and seem to fetishise drag acts. Just like the brave Elon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Elon Musk was on stage with Dave Chappelle at a Chappelle/Chris Rock show. Pretty much got booed for 10 minutes, could barely say anything, then left.

Maybe if he didn't spend time with employees who tell him his "meme game is strong" he'd realise that doesn't translate to real-life interactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How dare the woke pedo's not adore being in the presence of Lord Elon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

"genuine" brings you into the realm of mind reading, not my realm but good luck to you also its an absurd standard that Musk should have had a prior track record concerning Twitter and child protection, the only thing I can judge is results and it appears Musk has improved the situation at an organisation he now controls. If you see that as a bad thing then im not sure what to say, do you want him to undo what he has done and allow more cp on the site?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

the activists groups are often made up of survivors and I doubt there are thousands ( I didnt say that) but not sure why you would put that in quotation marks? seems like you think they are making it up.

Time will tell, all he needs to do it document that he did XY and Z in under a month when the company with a lot more staff in the past didnt.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm increasingly convinced that the entire "Culture War" is nothing but self-perpetuating, group masturbation of a small number of people, stirred by media out to make money from clicks. The obsession with bathrooms and drag acts is just ....well it sure is something. And now that it's not shown to work, there's the pathetic attempt to Helen Lovejoy the argument - won't you think of the children, you perv??

I've not met a single person in real life who cares; rather, in many cases laughing, derisively, when I explained what "woke" was and why some get angry about it. Many folk simply haven't even heard the basic nomenclature, lol. Social causes are another matter but in terms of the great unwashed? Most don't care, not enough to be enraged.

Don't particularly like Howard as a comedian TBH but this video feels on the money. I've found it myself, the few times I went down a rabbit hole of a Daily Mail article quoting outrage - it was nearly always a few outlier cranks on Twitter, or an online petition with 30 signatures. The signal to noise ratio is utterly blown out - and that includes Boards. It's nearly always the same half dozen users ranting about woke stuff every time; by no means a majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Re the cleaners, all tech multinationals treat their vendors/contractors like utter trash, so I'm not surprised. This isn't an Elon thing, it's a US thing. Contractors are literally disposable trash to these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

treating people like thrash is very much an elon thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Musk knows spuing and promoting hate drives revenue for him and he knows right now the best source of revenue for him comes from agreeing with the far right ideology to get them to wind up the left and to breed conflict between the sides.

He doesn't care about either side he craves the attention that comes his name being alway in the headlines.

He is just another spoiled rich kid that never got the love or attention he carved from his millionaire celebrity parents and that turned him into the classic rich kid bully who just wants his own way because his parents didn't love him like he wanted that can be seen in a thousand movies.

There is nothing speical about Musk in anyway shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Cody montana

So who actually has quit twitter so far?

Elton John and Stephen Fry are two that I follow.

The account which posted the clip was nuked, not just the clip itself.

Can't wait for Bari Weiss' investigation into it.

he is just a billioniare who has been successful in diverse industries, totally average guy, nothing special at all

The “culture war” is just an extension of American Bible Belt extremism and other weird fringe, usually paranoid, political elements being rebranded, interconnected with similar elsewhere and globalised on social media.

There has always been that element of that in the US. It’s just in the past they had to physically find each other and read weird magazines in their ‘paranoia shacks’ and prepper basements in some rural flyover state.

It’s also why the U.S. tends to be prone to cults forming. There aren’t many other places you’d get scenarios like the Waco siege or similar.

These days that small % just find each other on social media and connect up to have a big paranoid circle jerk that turns into a huge problem and amplifies and pulls in all sorts of crazy as they all reinforce each other’s views, without any of the counter arguments being made by broader society to balance things.

Anyone who is outside their groups, who challenges anything they believe, who doesn’t conform to their bubble view is condemned in the worst way possible - right now that’s the shouting ‘pedo’ etc etc

I honestly think social media platforms could quite literally destroy some political systems and societies, and I think the U.S. is just more prone to jumping down that particular rabbit hole than most, but it’s not exclusively them either it’s happening in lots of places. However American political culture, governmental structure and their rather divided history with huge social, racial and other tensions just lends itself to aggressive, binary arguments, removal of all nuances and basically a us vs them mentality that probably is a throwback to their civil war era.

Whether it’s Musk, Trump or anyone else who emerges, it’ll just keep happening until it eventually breaks and reaches a real crisis and gets fixed or just falls apart. That seems to be where things are heading and social media is the petrol being thrown on the fire.

It looks like Musk’s Twitter is going to be a highly toxic platform for however long it financially lasts.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Christ.... how did this f*cker become a billionaire being so bad at numbers and percentages? The boos were so much that Musk was barely able to get two sentences out, Chappelle repeatedly spoke about the boos, and they left after less than 5 minutes of Musk coming out because of the level of booing.

I think you’re seeing the rise of the tech bro - huge financial wealth that was made on having an understanding of technology rather than ever having to interact with wider society.

Everything’s a game and they have a profound belief that they’ve a superior understanding of all things, and that they can come up with clever ways of ‘disrupting’ the status quo to make things somehow (in their mind) better.

Their solutions are fine for a dot com start up but when you start applying them to broader society, you start to run into enormous problems, as over simplistic ideas are … well dangerous over simplifications and ones that often fail to comprehend humans being humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Its was called "Toxic Twitter" for years before Musk owned it. Donald Trump gave it massive publicity during his presidency, and was only removed after he lost the election.

Even ISIS and their supporters were on Twitter: 'Nearly 50,000' pro-Islamic State Twitter accounts - BBC News

Has much really changed? except the new owner has an abrasive personality?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It can make a huge difference. Twitter had huge problems, but was at least aware of them and doing things to address them. They were very much a new phenomenon, stumbling around as they scaled up.

Musk seems to be just all about stripping off the safety systems and fanning the flames. That's not going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They were saying Boooourns, obviously!

Also, since he's crashed Tesla's stock he's no longer the richest man in the world. He's dropped to #2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like.

We all can see who this behaviour reminds of, right? The whiny, Everyone Loves Me ranting, right?

I'd say the name but it's invocation tends to cause accusations of derangement.

I wonder are all the other billionaires just sitting back, loving the eyes taken off them by this whirling dervish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Is it true twitter users have had their accounts deleted for posting the clip of the booing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,279 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He became a billionaire because he was born into wealth in the first place and then he bought a few companies that made him wealthier. He ended up thinking that his shit smelt of strawberries though. This Twitter fiasco might have shown him otherwise.

I wonder what Grimey makes of it all? 😄

• Advertisement

Couldn't say but to be fair, there are probably legitimate issues of copyright at play given it's a cam recording of a comedy gig. Wouldn't be the first recording to get slammed by copyright holder's - even if in this case the Smell Test is suss given Billy Big Balls is in play here.

It's Tesla where the damage appears to be done, really. The shares have lost, what, half their value isn't it? And the holders don't seem enamoured with Musk's effect on these things. Not when Tesla has its own problems, not least its malfunctioning driverless mode and the increasing noise of the other manufacturers finally taking electric seriously.

Advertisement