Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I wonder how many times we need proof that absolute power corrupts, even power over some irrelevant website.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did Musk not know all this last month, when he said that he wouldn’t ban the jet account?

Twitter is also putting up a very petty and obnoxious spam / malicious site warning on all links to Mastodon.

So if someone posts a link to their own profile or any content on Mastodon (link to a post etc) it now warns that it’s potentially a dangerous website or may contain illegal or damaging material.

It’s also reportedly just outright blocking even posting new tweets with links to any Mastodon related URL.

This is what it says when someone taps a link to a post I made on mastodon that was quoted on Twitter a few weeks ago - quite an allegation to make about a perfectly normal URL on mastodon.ie, to a very boring tweet about techie stuff and my personal profile!

Quite honestly sh1te like this puts me off using all social media entirely. I might actually just stop using microblogging sites and stick to posting with a pseudonym on forums. I’m seriously thinking I might just go in and remove any public posting I’ve ever done anywhere and just go back to just not using ‘social’ media. Really sick of the pettiness and malicious crap!

What’s the point? You’re just giving away content for free to tech bro owned crazy empires, being used by AI driven data miners, or shouting into some virtual abyss.

I don’t want a link to my name and photo with a content warning like that. It’s really not good enough.

There was a lot to be said for the earlier days of tech, before the social media genie escaped from the bottle.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God the people in that thread defending him by trying to argue he's defending free speech by banning their accounts.... The levels of cognitive dissonance these kinds of people are capable of never fails to astound me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Musk joins a Twitter spaces chat full of journalists, he gets called out for lying and leaves the chat

He apparently then shut down all twitter spaces a few minutes later, Lots of journalists who have reported negatively toward Musk getting twitter bans now, free speech me bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wonder how long this will stay up

Apparently he killed the space and ejected everyone a few minutes after leaving #freespeech

He’s on some rant at anyone and anything at this stage. I’m reminded of the days of IRC channels, when an op / mod went on a power trip and everyone left. The only difference is this involves millions of users and billions of dollars. It’s the exact same psychology though.

It's basically an unusable platform now and the days of it being a ‘newswire’ like service are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's funny to see those who were complaining about the restrictions on free speech and mocking the 'Twitter is a public company and can ban whoever it wants' line now pivot to 'Twitter is a private company and can ban whoever it wants' while expressing concern about the content being posted while dropping the championing of free speech.

It's almost as if the people who said 'There are consequences for freedom of speech' were right all along...

I'm not surprised one bit that Musk has chosen this path. At best, he has realised the dangers of free speech without consequences. But that'd be giving him too much credit. Fearing for his child's safety is a handy excuse for clamping down on people, just like paedophilia and blaming activists for companies re-thinking advertising. His followers won't question as it is a righteous cause and, just like Trump supporters, will repeat whatever justification he has for his actions while ignoring all pregious positions ('free speech absolutist', 'I will not ban that account', 'comedy is back' etc.)

Banning journos and links to Mastodon is extremely petty but there are plenty of us who sensed this would happen all along. It must be painful for those constantly defending him while not being able to think for themselves.

I wouldn't have such a problem with Musk if he just held up his hands and admitted what he was. The attempts to gaslight the world are insulting and it's quite sad that people are falling for it.

• Advertisement

Who’s going to tell him?

https://mastodon.social/@elonjet

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Ah now. He banned our favourite Irish journalist Donnie O Sullivan 😭

WTF. All Donnie did do was link to the statement from the LAPD that said Elons stalker story was bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He put up a poll asking when the elon jet account should be unbanned

Didn't like how the original poll was going apparently so has changed it because it had "too many options".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’d love to see the free speech advocates defend this!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Only the most gullible ever believed "Free Speech" guff.

But the "most gullible" just so happens to overlap perfectly with "Musk cheerleaders".

Amazed his bots didnt get him his wishes immediately like his other polls have.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

He is being a complete space-Karen right now.

They don’t mean actual freedom of speech in any kind of philosophical sense, rather it’s just some notion that everyone has to be forced to uncritically listen to their insane ranting at clouds and bonkers conspiracy theories and/or that they should be able to hurl abuse and insults without feedback or consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

I'm sorry Musk hasnt realized anything, certainly not the dangers of "free speech", He is a narcissist throwing a very public tantrum by banning anyone who dare question or call him on his BS. The irony is all his fanboys will tell you he is an even bigger champion of free speech by stopping free speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, even for Space Karen standards this is some hissy fit.

You just know he hasn't left the office in weeks, probably píssing into the sink he brought with him and washing himself with the píss.

Wouldn't surprise me if he pulled the plug on the whole cess pit and fúcked off like the petulant cockwomble he is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Free Speech mantra has always been a total facade for the reality: Musk was píssing off the "right" kind of people that some here, or in other environs, really hated. "The libs", basically, or anybody with a scintilla of public compassion towards those on the fringes; that, hey, maybe being an outrageous díckhead to others isn't a virtue or should be allowed on public fora. Beyond issues of government censorship, I've not seen a single recent argument towards Free Speech Absolutism that hasn't ultimately boiled down to "I wanna be a huge ásshole to [insert social grouping here] without being judged by others as an ásshole"

Elon Musk is an ásshole. A rich ásshole, and we know that's alluring to some. It's funny 'cos he's running Twitter exactly in the manner some here accuse Boards mods/admins of doing. A little Hitler banning and juking the system just to wield petty, insecure power against those he doesn't like, or those who question his bona-fides.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It’s hilarious to me that the dimwits who support this clown go around calling others easily offended snowflakes. What an utterly embarrassing thin skinned cretin of a man.

They should get this free speech advocate involved in the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Lol Donie is suspended! haha

Ah don't worry about it, he'll unsuspend them in a week at most.

The circlejerk over that Donie lad was cringe just because he's Irish who made it onto CNN. Just shows the inferiority complex this country has.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No doubt about it. This time the do gooders are going to leave twitter in their droves.

Oh wait...

Musky is too busy banning any non Muskharďs to give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Maybe someone can clarify this.

Sharing the location of musks jet is seen as bad because your sharing real time information about his location, and sharing realtime information about someones location is not good.

How is it then that posters are allowed to post videos of people at matches, playing sports, doing all sorts of things. When harry kane missed a penalty and people posted that information to twitter it gives harry kanes location in real time.

What am i missing here? Other than the muskegotrip

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You're not missing anything. It's purely an ego trip and reactionary impulse. As you say, the change in the Terms of Service hold no water when stacked up against the myriad of real-world examples like sports matches. A billionaire got insecure & píssy 'cos someone was sharing public information on Twitter - information protected by the 1st Amendment no less in the US - and so Billy Big Balls had him banned, the ToS changd. That's about the size of it and the rest is dissembling by the Sunk Cost crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It just demonstrates that those going on about free speech and its importance aren't to be taken at face value. It's never about free speech as a principle, it's about being able to be a cnut without consequences. Saying "I'm pro free speech" sounds less objectional that saying "I should be allowed to threaten that n*gger with a noose and a burning cross". When anyone claims to be pro free speech, they're usually hiding what this free speech is to be used for and with a good reason.

For example, I believe that people should be allowed to criticise the state, government agencies, elected officials etc without being sanctioned by the state. In other words, I believe in freedom of speech and when pressed, I'm happy to explain why this freedom is important. When you ask some right-wing reactionary about why this freedom is important, especially in a thread about why their favourite shítehawk got banned off some private platform, they'll claim to be lofty philosophers who love freedom of speech for its own sake. They won't want to admit what they want to do with this freedom. It's no different to the historical revisionists who claim that the American civil war was about States' rights and not slavery - sure it was about the rights of states but it was specifically about the rights of states to practice slavery. Freedom of speech is the same - when someone claims to be pro free speech, it's quite meaningless without including what that freedom is for.

Unfortunately, when you just want to be a cnut, you'll want to hide that so claiming to be in favour of free speech without going any further in terms of what that free speech entails will give the illusion of a sensible position without giving away the underlying cnutiness that you want to hide.

Advertisement