Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

Fair enough, it wasn't coming across as you "not caring".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Impossible like no one actually owns linux kernel, but it's as capitalistic and corporatist as it can possibly be. Do tell me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Don't companies set up their own Mastodon servers? Isn't Truth Social a ripped version of Mastodon code?

This is the wrong analogy, a more appropriate yet still inaccurate one is that Mastodon is to microblogging what Gmail and Hotmail are to email.

It is a free open source platform with free and private servers and private for profit forks like Trump's thing. If, or when, the free public severs will consolidate into anything relevant they will raise interest from both users and capitalists and at that point the funding will stop being sustainable as an independent non commercial service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well TBH as with Twitter itself, the market will decide if Mastadon has value. I'm not sure the market will choose decentralised fussiness over the convenience of a single app of entry, but as the brief Flavour of the Month it has been curious how Mastadon hasn't held onto that explosion in users. The decline much steeper than I'd have expected.

Mastodon will be there whether or not the market decides it has value or not. If you take Mastodon.ie it had only about 500+ users in late October and has over 10,000 active users now.

Basically from Mastodon's point of view it's not a commercial entity really - it's just a set of protocols and software.

I would see the likelihood being that you'll see better apps and consolidation onto the well run instances only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Look friend, he stated in black and white that it would be worse for adult networking sites to identify and entirely remove teenagers accessing their platform. Not that it was difficult, but that it would be worse to do so. You can do all the mental gymnastics you want to pretend he said something else. But it wont change what he actually did say.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Does anyone else suspect that Elon is pushing this right-wing ideology just to be a contrarian?

I am in no way supporting his stupid viewpoints. I believe that he may be trying to sow discourse on Twitter in a push to increase its engagement from users. As a side effect he is getting alot of publicity from social networks, like here, or the media, which in turn is bringing more users to the site.

He probably saw how websites like Facebook, youtube, etc increased their user engagment by feeding them controversial posts. So for pragmatic reasons, he brought back all the controversial eejits and began making controversial posts himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,975 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Except he didn’t state that it would be worse, that’s now your third lie, soiling a man’s reputation with made up stories for some very strange reason. His quote on the topic is crystal clear. Obviously, alt right circles have gone deep with their character assassinations, by twisting his words, and you’re going along with them. Why are you going along with this tissue of lies?

• Advertisement

Maybe he is trying to access a right wing market share for EV, if they latch on to something they tend never to let it go once they see it as anti left woke no matter if it makes sense or not.

Not saying this is it but it's the only thing I could think of as a reason why is Elon was being in anyway strategic or analytical about the takeover.

I don't actually believe it to be the case but it's an interesting thought experiment none the less 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

He reversed his blue tick mark for sale stuff which lead to my earlier issues.

No one has argued he can't do what he wants, people are also free to slag him for it. People are also free to highlight the fact that he is a massive massive hypocrite from his actions he shows when provoked, I don't think that means offended.

You are only responsible for your own posts, I am more saying that others have believed Musk's statements are have been shown to be wrong in turn. I feel like you will be proven wrong in time and in 6 months someone else will be arguing for a new reason Musk is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well bad luck for him, cos the last people that are going to buy an electric car connected to the internet, that you need a named account to own, run and maintain, that is liable to be hacked and that cannot be fuelled from a bunch of jerry cans from its own boot, are MAGA, redneck, 2nd amendment lovin' dickheads.

Especially built by a South African in California who talks weird.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I see he's just announced that later this month they will change the character limit from 280 to 4000 , which fundamentally changes the core function of Twitter.

It's effectively Facebook now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is that a typo? You have to mean 400, surely? Four thousand words is a multi-page short-story. I hope they're also introducing the ability to edit those tweets lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He really didnt understand what he was buying or why it was popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No typo. 4000 characters. Not sure if that's just for Twitter Blue users or everyone. They're also giving everyone two feeds; the accounts you follow, but also a feed with "recommended" accounts/posts for you. Who or what determines what gets recommended is anyone's guess. But like Facebook, it will likely be easily manipulated to ensure right-wing content gets pushed to more peoples feeds.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭prosaic

I don't think Musk cares so much about why it was popular, but rather how it might work in future. Of course, being a regular twit, he'd know how/why it works.

He's said that he sees social media as one of the dangers to society's future and, as i understand it, he wants to make twitter into an overall positive contribution to society: free speech, dialog, community conversation and all that. Perhaps he's driving towards a mix between social media and wikipedia where the current conversation is laid out. Community notes seems to reflect the way comments work in wikipedia.

People here see it that he is in it for his own gain and ego. Ego, probably is a bit of it, but all of his enterprises have been focused on multi-generational change, looking to see what is needed in 50 or 100 years time. I would see it that his play in twitter is to address the social media aspect of how society should operate some distance into the future.

Edit to add, you'd be a complete fool to discount what he's doing, no matter how much you dislike his personality or ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yeah, I don't think so. He's a billionaire and saw an egotistical opportunity to buy Twitter as his own plaything, get petty revenge and have his own unrestricted megaphone.

• Advertisement

A few years ago, I probably would have agreed with you, but I came around quickly to seeing the new emperor is naked.

Twitter is awful now. The lack of moderation is designed to be rage inducing, and in 2023, who needs more rage in their life?

Tesla price is tanking, other car manufacturers have come around and I see people discussing how Tesla Motors will be a blip in history books.

The mission to Mars will just not happen in our lifetimes. (Or more importantly, Musk's or Bezos' 😂) The more we learn about Mars, the more hostile we discover it to be. The first few generations of life on Mars will be beyond grim.

No, I don't pay any attention to Musk. He could do so much good with his money and he just doesn't. It's a complete waste of his position, for the good of the world.

It's nice to talk about Free Speech as this halcyon ideal that betters society - but as far as I can see, there's no hard proof that suggests completely untrammelled free speech doesn't ultimately breed extremism, bullying, abuse & violence and so on. Mature dialog didn't suddenly start with Tim Berners-Lee's most famous piece of alliteration; we've had free speech for centuries in one shape or another - but always with recognition that the law has to put a cap on some aspects (libel, defamation and so on to name just two trivial examples).

A key difference now is that whereas once upon a time, you might have to own being a díckhead to someone's face (or standing in public on your soapbox in the square), now you can hide behind a username or VPN and just abuse others to your heart's content. Too much of the "free speech for all" rhetoric gets clouded by refusing to acknowledge the reality that it basically argues for speech without consequence. Or is just a facade for wanting to be an ásshole to others.

And when you add that unfiltered form of communication into the mix with the hormonal chaos of childhood and adolescence? Nothing good comes out of that. Child psychologists are still trying to chart the long-term mental health effects of lives entirely lived and nurtured online, a world where normal social cues are lost behind a UI. Important developmental aspects children simply aren't experiencing cos everything's online in TikTok or whatnot.

As to Musk? No; he actively sought to get himself out of the $44 billion buyout in the first place; while we've seen noted examples of a man incapable of taking even small jibes or insults; were he serious about Free Speech he wouldn't fall foul of obvious hypocrisy in the manner he behaves. As I said before myself, either make Twitter a black box, or don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Probably? Probably? he is a thin-skinned narcissist. it is all about ego for him.

Recent years has definitely seen a shift in interpretation of the meaning of "Free speech".

As other have said when most people today talk about "Freedom of speech" what they really mean is "Freedom from the consequences of my speech".

They want to be able to say whatever they like and not have to face criticism or consequence as a result.

And Musk is definitely one of those people , he does not like when people challenge him or call out something he has said and he reacts very badly when they do.

His purchase of Twitter was a knee-jerk act of hubris that may actually bring about the collapse of his entire "Empire".

I’ve been seeing the same tweets in my timeline for almost 48 hours now. When I do refresh I get a handful of new tweets at the top - promoted posts, cryptocurrency grifters, and anti-vax tweets mostly. When I refresh again it’s back to the same old ones.

It’s funny to see how quickly Musk has destroyed even the most fundamental principle of the site - show me tweets based on what you think I will like.

He’s a complete spoofer and will be found out in 2023.

It has turned into, "Show me tweets that will elicit a response". I get a huge amount of tweets in direct opposition to how I feel generally, especially in regards to highly charged issues, such as race, trans or poverty issues.

If you stick to Show Latest Tweets First rather than Home, it'll only show you tweets from accounts you follow or what they retweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I've found that too. The home used to be good for showing me stuff I might be interested in. In the last month or so it's changed to showing me posts by maniacs (apparently). Even when I muted the controversial guys they'd just be replaced by more from the infinite selection. So I've set it to only show me Latest Tweets. It's a lot quieter.

I never liked the feature anyway, and it took a while to stop it showing up as the default timeline. I like having tweets from the accounts I follow show up in the order they were posted. Random tweets from random "recommended" accounts in a fairly random order... f*ck that. And f*ck it even more if it's now skewing more towards the type of posts some of you have had showing up lately.

• Advertisement

That's fine, there's no problem with more right wing oppinions, the world needs the ballance.

Advertisement