Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

"Bottom fishing refers to investing in assets that have experienced a decline, due to intrinsic or extrinsic factors, and are considered undervalued"

Tesla could very well be undervalued still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, wouldn't surprise me if he fired people for not stroking his ego enough. The guys in this video come across more as hostages than employees.

"Your meme game is strong".... Christ if I had to say something like that to a boss I'd be looking for a new job as soon as possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Elon Musk, the Howard Hughes of our generation. Insane wealth, unimaginable reach, but rather than descending into OCD and collecting his pee, Musk desperately wants to be a celebrity.

I wonder if Bernard Arnault's meme game is as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

It's the opposite Tesla is still overvalued. The falls that have come have being coming for a long time. A lot of Teslas valuation has been underpinned by faith in Musk. That's not a problem in and of itself but Tesla is competing against the entire automotive industry and its not worth more than every other company in that industry combined.

Tesla will be a valuable company in the automotive space but my guess more along the lines of Apple in smartphones if its lucky. Apple for the hype are eclipsed by Android. I say lucky because Tesla is competing with brands that have been around 100 plus years. Those companies are not sitting around doing nothing and will probably out compete Tesla in the electric car space.

Remember in technology people are key. Musk has put on complete public show of how badly he treats staff. That will reduce the likelihood of people particularly top people wanting to work for one of his company's. That does not bode well for Tesla in a highly competitive market.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He probably drinks it too.

• Advertisement

The single biggest problem I see is that that he's running companies that exist very much in the middle of the knowledge economy. They have to compete for and keep talent, which is highly mobile and may not even be very motivated by money and at the higher levels have a lot of other options. It's more like trying to motivate artists, academics or actors by threatening to fire them and cut their wages. They won't give a flying feck and will walk and pursue their passions elsewhere, possibly with one of your direct competitors or maybe even setup something entirely new.

Why would anyone want to work for one of his companies anymore? Nobody actually needs to work in that kind of environment, and he's has no power over them that is going to make them stay. So what will happen?

A lot of people saw him as an eccentric visionary 10+ years ago and he was driving some blue sky projects with lots of leeway for doing interesting things, but now he's just some kind of tech bro megalomaniac, obsessed with identity politics and online fights, who seems to see workers as raw material.

Then add in the fact that many people working in the creative and higher ends of the tech sector are far more likely to be on the opposite end of the political spectrum to whatever it is he's driving. Plenty of them are very open minded, they gravitated towards cities like San Francisco for good reason.

Twitter or any tech company can't function by doing what it's currently doing.

The world will move on...

Even the assumption that it will all go to something that looks just like Twitter is not necessarily what will happen either. Something else will emerge ... A lot of people are getting a bit disillusioned with what Twitter has morphed into in the last few months. It was always a bit of a hot mess, but now it's just a mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Considering the naming choices for his children, perhaps the Crazy Lunatic phase started sooner than we thought?

We are all now making fun of his decision to fire money into a stupid website.

Has anyone actually taken a look at a Tesla? Like that's a properly ugly car. Interior is a big cheap android slab, and the rest of it is cheaper than a bag of chips outside a Nordie nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sexy cars run on climate changing fossil fuels.

It's like vegan meals, not sexy, something missing.

Tesla dragged the electric car into the modern age, and proved it could be both a normal saloon and a perfectly pragmatic choice for a household. Electric cars, and the batteries specifically, were technological curios none of the major manufacturers took seriously. They ran on AAs and looked like bubble cars. Tesla changed that utterly, it can't be overstated IMO. His engineering input might be debatable but his company changed the car industry.

At the time I admired Musk because he saw the future and demanded we pivot from fossil fuels. I think it's too little too late for the earth, cos the selfish àsshole demographic is winning... but Tesla fired the starters pistol and the motor industry played catch-up. There's a strong argument they have now done so, maybe even overtaken Tesla - the playing field has got busier and I don't fancy anyone's chances pitted against the big carmakers. Maybe Musk sees that?

But for some reason Musk wanted to be a celebrity. He wanted notoriety and eyeballs on his life and opinions. He couldn't just be the aggressive tycoon who changed 2 industries through hubris alone. No, he wanted to be an edgelord, that his meme game be strong 🙄 He invited this scrutiny and mockery and has píssed away the goodwill built up with Tesla and SpaceX.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

After spending the World Cup with Trumps son-in-law Jared Kushner, Elon went to the Super Bowl with Rupert Murdoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Listening to the radio this morning and they mentioned another twitter storm overnight because of a harmless joke made between Tom Grennan and Ellie Goulding at the Brit Awards last night.

I didn't watch it and barely know who either are but apparently the twitter mob/"morality police" took offence to it, calling for his career to be over etc - leading to her to come out in his defence and him apologising.

I would absolutely become Elon's biggest fan if he just shut down the whole cesspit.

But it's not just Twitter that's to blame for stuff like that, it's the media. The media take a few tweets like that, make articles about them ("Outrage on Twitter as people complain about..." while basing the article off tweets from about 4 accounts with f*ck all followers), thereby bringing it to more people's attention where they then comment about whether it's right or wrong, then the media have an excuse to make another article, and then the whole thing is widespread. It's pure clickbait and stoking little embers to try start a fire. The vast majority of the time that stuff like that happens, you see it first being reported either on media websites or on their twitter accounts, rather than actually seeing the outrage on Twitter from the people tweeting about it.

Just because people b*tch about something on Twitter doesn't mean anyone should pay attention to it. But the media is every bit as much to blame because they very often purposefully shine a spotlight on it to try make people pay attention to it and argue about it, simply because it gives them content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Pretty much all the big tech industry is being ran by, let's say, inadequate individuals who are at best faking it until they hopefully making it, so the only thing setting Elon apart is his desire for attention. They all went into a hiring and spending frenzy last year, second year into a recession fueled by a global pandemic and a world wide economic war and like the dot com bubble was something from the middle ages, not something that happened during their lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well thats incorrect most of the big hiring was done in 2020 and 2021 and any done in 2022 would have been budgeted for in 2021 when nobody could have forseen the war actually happening. Also for many countries the recession caused by the pandemic didn't last anywhere close to as long as the Pandemic, for instance in the US it only lasted 2 months at the very beginning of it in 2020 and in Ireland it was actually less than a year. Finally many of these companies actually saw counter cyclical growth due to increased online activity directly due to the pandemic and recession cuasing them to need to upscale though now in hindsight they absolutely went to far.

• Advertisement

when nobody could have forseen the war actually happening

It's not like it's their job as leaders on global corporation to be up to date (and even ahead, i.e. foresee things) with the geopolitical situation, and it's not like their paid hundreds of millions to be just that. Seriously?

Also for many countries the recession caused by the pandemic didn't last

Yea, for recession is not the proper word, given its definition. Economic downturn, slowdown and inflation. Trouble, as almost all big tech are laying off like crazy because again they were caught by surprise.

LOL nobody even world leaders thought he would actually go through with it until maybe the middle of January. And again as I said already budgets for big countries work very similarly to countries they are decided well in advance IE in mid to late 2021 way before anyone knew he was actually going to invade . But you think company CEOs who many didn't even have offices in Ukraine or Russia should have known better months in advance? You might as well add complaints how Ireland's budget for 2022 decided 4 months prior to it had no preparation for the war either.

You might as well add complaints how Ireland's budget for 2022 decided 4 months prior to it had no preparation for the war either

No, I don't have this kind of expectations from politicians. But silly me I had them when it comes to leaders of multi billion global corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Well, that's just mad.

You think corporations should be able to read the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No, not read, they aren't fortune tellers. Foresee. Predict. Look at what's going on, look at what happened before in similar situations and infer from that. And I'm sure they actually did just that, but they have chosen to ignore it for short term gains, which also happened multiple times in the past. Last time it was around 2008 so not so long ago.

Again the VAST majority of these companies over done hiring was done in 2020 and 2021 and when they decided hiring budgets for 2022 it was October/November, you are literally asking for them to have had access to a crystal ball to have been able to forsee the Ukrainian invasion that far ahead.

Also what the tech companies had to do with 2008 is even more baffling when the institutions that caused the problems weren't even ready for it but again you think tech companies somehow should have predicted it?.... your clutching at some bizarre straws here.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Since Elon Musk bought Twitter it's actually worth looking at and scrolling through again. It was a dieing duck previously. All that was available was people freely throwing abuse and insults at each other. Boring enough and not good for the mind.

Surely enough there are probably people still mud slinging 24/7 but it doesn't seem to be as obvious or in your face as much so it's definitely an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Definitely more in your face now. He unbanned some of the worst trolls out there. people who were banned for horrible abuse.

• Advertisement

What's truly hilarious is that each time today when I've clicked onto the For You feed, the top tweet on the feed has been from the same account.

A different tweet each time but always from the same account.

An account I don't follow.

Not even an account that someone I follow is retweeting from, but simply because they follow that account, that account is appearing at the top of my feed.

An account where the person has clearly used their position to make sure their tweets get pushed out to as many people as possible.

It's................... Elon Musk's account.

F*cking pathetic......

Advertisement