Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So your against freedom of speech and the free market?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭foxsake

no I'm all for it.

but threatening companies and individuals by using your clout into compliance isn't free speech nor free market. in fact quite the opposite.

The ADL is a horrible organisation headed by a shower of c8nts.

This fella said it quite well from a Jewish perspective. He is only thinking of his own people - which is fine.

https://twitter.com/StephenM/status/1699072999012634981

Speaking as a Jew: ADL is NOT a Jewish organization. It is an ultra-left activist org that pushes radical transgenderism, border erasure, police dismantlement, and the demolition of free speech—deploying rank slander, bullying and character assassination to achieve its aims.

These views and tactics are expressly contrary to sacred Jewish and biblical teaching.

When justly criticized, ADL and its defenders falsely claim anti-Semitism, thereby diminishing all past and present victims of anti-Semitism.

In fact, conflating criticism of ADL with criticism of Jews is itself an anti-Semitic trope.

Bottom line: ADL is a disreputable organization that has gravely undermined Jewish interests and is worthy of the strongest condemnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭francois

Its literally free speech and free market. Explain why its not beyond you just not liking the ADL.

It is pretty funny though that you are trying to just innocently quote stephen miller, trying to sneak one of trumps most bigoted little far right sh1theads past us......

Yes some of the jewish faith might not agree with them but many do surprise surprise people have differing opinions. Ill stick with the ones that are against bigotry racism and antisemitism in all its forms though thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Using a tweet from Stephen Miller as an attempt to defend free speech and diss the ADL... That's new.

Stephen Miller, whos entire extended family have disowned for his hateful anti immigrant rhetoric, if for no other reason than the laws he was advocating she during his time with Trump would have meant his family not being allowed into the US in the first place had they been in place at the time.

Stephen Miller... Brilliant...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is an ultra-left activist org that pushes radical transgenderism, border erasure, police dismantlement, and the demolition of free speech

Well that's a total grab-bag of hysterical, American right-wing scaremongering: ooh, the ultra-left are gonna gender swap your kids, remove the cops and let the brown people in en masse! I know this forum is aimed at more "casual" debate, but ye gods this is total nonsense - and spouted by noted nonsense peddler Stephen Miller, lol.

I'm gonna go ahead and presume the ADL said something mean about Donald Trump, and his fawning sycophant Miller went into Attack Dog mode. Ultra Left! Ultra Left! Woke! Woke!

"Radical transgenderism". SNORT. What, like just force-convert everyone's gender? Sounds like a great idea TBH: we can all walk a mile in someone else's shoes, might actual solve sexism by tea-time; always wanted an excuse to make myself look pretty. 🤣

So he still hasn't broken 1 million for subscribers, hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭foxsake

while I know trump i'm less familiar with todays hero Stephen Miller but I did like his comment on the ADL.

there is no sneaking anybody past anybody .it may be news to you but it is possible - yes it really is - to take an individual quote for it's own merits regardless of the source. I'd consider that standard adult reasoning.

Who miller is is irrelevant to me - but your made up label of "most bigoted little far right sh1theads" has intrigued me.Like if you hate him.....and you champion the ADL... you are kinda selling him a bit..

The ADL goes way beyond racism and drifts into many facets of people life. it sets out to destroy anybody who goes against them . It's their definition of stuff that matters. Their views mould to suit their agenda - for example - jews have a right to an ethnostate like israel but anybody who opposes multiculturism elsewhere is a bad person. odd that.

And its definitely not free market and free speech to threaten to get corporates blacklisted or public figures unpersoned cos you don't like their views. You only think that cos you like their viewpoint. It's a shakedown gangster org pure and simple. The adidas / Kanye thing isn't the first time.

Like most here on this forum , when your side does its good . Thats ok just be honest about it

The source of a quote absolutely matters, also I don't believe I ever championed the ADL in any of my posts ive simply asked why what they have done is not free speech, so put your strawman down.

What the ADL does or doesnt do with their free speech is irrelevant to the discussion on free speech which is a key point when discussing anything relating to Elons running of twitter, either you are for free speech or you arent, so which is it?

And you still have yet to explain why what the ADL do is not free speech or the free market beyond "I'm saying that its not".

It really feels that as usual what you are looking for is freedom from consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Looking at his tweet and all the blue tick replies, there's a massive overlap between paid subscribers and russia supporters.

And the crap they're coming up with is ridiculous. Elon prevented world war 3. Elon saved the war from escalating. Elon prevented a nuclear retaliation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've seen this doing the rounds: it's a pretty terrible look, and worth noting that in his "peace plan" Musk explicitly said Crimea was Russia's and quoted some biased historical context to justify this (there were other nuggets in the plan that amounted to the classic "Give Russia what it wants" strategy beloved of those who believe in Peace At Any Cost). Will be very interesting - not that we'll be privy to it mind you - what if anything the Pentagon will say or do about this revelation.

Of course Ukraine has since attacked Crimea plenty of times, without retaliation, which is an important caveat to Musk's "logic".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Except you pretty clearly implied who he is, does matter. You implied he was a reasonable Jewish voice on the issue. Meanwhile he had a pretty close relationship with the likes of Richard Spencer in college, a Neo Nazi who is the kind of person who gets called out by the ADL.

In relation to free market, getting companies blacklisted. It absolutely is. The right recently did this with Budweiser. Adidas dropping West absolutely makes sense given the views he was espousing.

Anyway, yep the outlets being promoted on Twitter aren't being vetted at all. Alt right accounts get pushed onto your feed on a constant basis. So I'd imagine anti semitism is more rife than ever. Meanwhile Musk himself has engaged in dog whistles around Soros. So ya, the richest man in the world is not being shaken down. He's just a bit of a prick and fawns over some dodgy characters.

Also not just the ADL saying there's an increase...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Forget what Elon prevented or didn't prevent, or any of that what-iffery

He didn't thwart anything here, he kept his private company out of an international conflict, which no private company has any business being in the middle of.

Using Starlink as a humanitarian tool for displaced and devastated Ukrainians to stay in touch with loved ones was one thing, weaponising it would have been quite another.

Elon Musk is very often times a dreadful person, with the most awful and egotistical motivations. But he was correct here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thing is, he's pretty inconsistent on those principals. Eg a Pentagon contract was signed at start of year to use them in Ukraine and it's most definitely being used for military purposes. So if anything, I'd suspect he was showing off the impact he can have by effectively interfering in an expected attack.

I agree with you in principal that private companies shouldn't be as critical as they currently are in strategic situations. But they are. And in this case it shows how risky it is for that situation to exist. Cause the Ukrainian military are absolutely reliant on it and pulling that out could be incredible dangerous and change the state of the invasion.

Also somewhat highlights the general need for public infrastructure over private for things like this.

Using Starlink as a humanitarian tool for displaced and devastated Ukrainians to stay in touch with loved ones was one thing, weaponising it would have been quite another.

This is not true: Starlink was/is being used by the Ukrainian military, not just as a humanitarian took. Now SpaceX might have had reservations - but they had a path to intervene on that fornt. The Washington Post goes into detail about the whole kerfuffle. But as far as it reads the use of the satellites were for broad military use - only Musk intervened it seems when specifically used on / in Crimea.

Taken as a single action id agree however when you couple it with his comments on crimea and calls for what is effectively just appeasing Putin and giving him whatever he wants it makes things far less cut and dry in my opinion.

Former insiders on his management style & moderation process

https://archive.ph/r02pX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so he didn't turn it on at Ukraines request rather then turned anything off https://www.thejournal.ie/musk-prevented-attack-on-russia-6163496-Sep2023/

why do these drone boats need internet access?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Musk trying to sue California for their social media transparency regulations. The fact Musk sacked these departments biting him in the àss - cos reads like Twitter can't fulfill the law's requirements

AB 587 requires larger social media companies to issue semiannual reports that describe their content moderation practices, and provide data on the numbers of objectionable posts and how they were addressed.

The law also requires companies to provide copies of their terms of service. Failure to comply risks civil fines of up to $15,000 for each violation a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As the old Kerry saying goes

''Once a bollock always a bollock''.

When he was born, they kept the afterbirth and threw the baby in the bucket.

Slava Ukrainii

I've spent the first 3 years of my son's life crippled by Imposter Syndrome (something I've always had anyway) and regular sweating in anxiety that I'm raising him right; being patient enough; supportive enough, etc. A good dad, basically.

I needn't worry cos at the very least, I've not called my kid Techno Mechanus. What an utterly ludicrous, kinda abusive thing to do a kid. That name sounds like a Warhammer thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Really like Musk, the man is an undeniable genius. I may even consider buying a Tesla at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Convenient that he kept his company out of a foreign conflict but chooses to involve himself in peace plans for that very same conflict, whilst also using it as a promotional tool on occasion i.e. his offer to fight Putin in a judo match to settle the war and opening up starlink to the Ukrainians in the early days of the war then withdrawing it for personal gain. Musk wanted a feel good story for starlink to slow Russias takeover by a few days. When they ended up lasting a month he wanted out.

That's before you get into his disinformation campaign on twitter and blatant support of Putin.

Strange behaviour for a guy that wants to keep his company out of a foreign conflict.

A bigger scumbag you could not find.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Just around 25 percent of all of Musk's followers, or more than 38 million, use the default profile image that X provides for newly registered accounts. More than 40 percent of Musk's followers, or just under 50 million, have 4 or more numbers in their @ handle on X.

Furthermore, more than 43.8 million Musk followers follow less than 10 users in total via their X account. Around 13.5 million users only followed one single account, @ElonMusk, at the time the data was collected.

However, according to this latest collection of @ElonMusk follower data, only around 453,000 Musk followers or 0.3 percent subscribe to X Premium. Mashable reported earlier this week that there were around 830,000 X Premium subscribers in total based on another data set compiled by Brown.

Jesus

Advertisement