Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yes, I’ve always found that an odd “system”. Calling a racist, or a bigot, “racist”, or “a bigot” gets you infracted but these are the rules and they apply to everyone so all we can do is work within them.

I’ve also found it very strange the, quite, visceral reaction from these racists, and bigots, when they get called such. They seem so blatant with these “opinions” but when they get called out for them they start mewling about how shocking it is to be called a racist.

I, personally, don’t see what’s wrong with saying that if Musk was a person of colour the reaction on here, from some of the “likely lads”, would be very different. If you had a major sexual assault case on here, and if the guy is a whyte, Irish, cisgender male, the victim gets all the abuse, and accusations of lying, but if the crime was committed by a person of colour, or of the Islamic faith, then there’d be calls for the death penalty and tighter immigration laws.

It’s like they just don’t care for the victim, at all, they just care about spinning things to suit their own, malignant, “agenda”. Not exactly in good faith there, D, wouldn’t you agree?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I think you are just as, if not more, guilty of spinning things to suit an agenda.

You introduced racism into a thread for no reason but to discredit people defending Elon musk.

It's consistent though. I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Speaking of posting in good faith

But Harvey Weinstein is White .Bill Clinton is White. And of course Jeffrey Epstein was White.

The only person making it about race and or religion ie black or muslim etc is you.

#bekind (only to people I agree with) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So when you say “de Gascun fella got millions” , what you really mean is that the National Virus Reference Laboratory at UCD carried out millions of Covid tests for the State. The Director got nothing extra for this, and certainly doesn’t get millions of anything.

You never responded to my question, do you think it's acceptable that Musk exposed himself to one of his staff? Fyi, I view Epstein's, Weinstein's,Cuomo's and Clinton's behaviour to be atrocious. But you seem to be pretty unwilling to call out Musk's behaviour, instead you resort to whataboutery in relation to party leaning.

Musk only declared his Republican credentials after he was asked about the story btw, up until that point, he has a history of donating to both Democrats and Republicans.

• Advertisement

I condemn sexual harassment and associated crimes no matter who the culprit is. So yes I answer.

I also call out Bill Cosby for his history of abuse and also Sergio Berlusconi for him debauchery. The bunga bunga parties on the public purse.

But your entire interaction with the thread has been whataboutery about the democrats. You put "trauma" in quotes and seem to have used your first post to take a jab against the victim... So the condemnation isn't exactly ringing true at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What?

I'm saying the lad who had a major influence in what measures the state took during covid, the company that he has a massive part in got millions and millions as a result of those measures.

It would be like Elon musk becoming us president and then buying teslas for everyone in the country.

There are posters before and after my replies who are throwing out accusations of bias relating to politics, race and religion .

My replies are related to same.

Call out all whataboutery ,be consistent.

Eh, this doesn't change the fact that you actively tried to smear the victim rather than condemning Musk...

In relation to the religion and race remark, yep it's pretty relevant given the fact that many of Musk's defenders on the right hold extreme views that tend to be race. So yep whataboutery but holds some relevance to the thread at least. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure you're gonna struggle to find anyone in this thread who defended Cuomo, Weinstein etc.

• Advertisement

Smear the victim?

Because she accepted the money or because her friend leaked to the press?

Expand on your accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Except that it's not a company. It is part of UCD, which is part of Government. The 'National' in the National Virus Reference Laboratory is the hint that you might missed there.

He's on NPHET because he knows a thing or two about viruses. He didn't 'get millions and millions'. He got funding to cover millions of tests.

Whatever funding was given had zero impact on his salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And **** each and every one of them. Cuomo is another one. But lets not excuse some people because theyre playing for one or other "side". Matt Gaetz seems to have survived and Trump is absolutely a sex pest and his base dont give a ****. If Elon is trying to get ahead of this by not so subtly threatening litigation i hope they eat the fucker alive.

Mickey D could definitely speak out more against our own shower. I guess while Musk is a bigger and worthy target, he's also a safer target.

You decided to put quotes around "trauma" in relation to seeing his penis and left out how he blackballed her. On top of that, you took a jab at her not reporting it to the police. The fact she took a payout, means it should be over and done with appears to be the logic you're applying. So yep, I think it's smearing to put her at the center as if she's done something wrong by coming out with it.

Fyi, the above is literally the exact kind of response that certain victims of Weinstein got. As if they shouldn't come forward because they were paid off etc. You've not made a single mention of how Musk has responded to this...

You decided to put quotes around "trauma" in relation to seeing his penis and left out how he blackballed her.

In fairness, she did blueball him first. Must have been frustrating for him not being able to buy something for a change.

She should have reported it to the police for possible criminal investigation.

Instead she took the 250k and moved on. Her friend reported it. Again not to the police but to the media. Hoping to crack a million this time perhaps?

Reeks of political interference too mixed with good old fashioned greed.

I won't participate in the fake moral outrage pile on .

Report it to the police lady.

The likelihood of Musk facing any repercussions if she went to the police are nil. And women not reporting sexual crimes isn't new for that reason.

Also back to smearing her..... You have absolute zero regard for the victim and appear to actively annoyed by Musk getting attention over it... Your condemnation is all kinds of fake if this is how you view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

What would the police do? These never get convictions and the most likely result would just be harassment from elin fan boys. This way she gets something from it.

As for trading free speech well it seems rather similar to accepting terms and conditions when making a website account. However dear Elon seems to think that is constricting free speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I love how the democrats are getting their pants in a knot over Elon buying Twitter. To have non-left wing Elon managing one of the few social platforms out there means introducing a little political diversity in the public discourse. The mere mention of Elon'n name potentially buying twitter was apparently enough to make followers' figure fluctuate in a very suspicious way, where certain right wing users have seen their number of followers increase drastically over night. Looks like someone in Twitter is cleaning the house before the new boss walks in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Not sure what this has to do with democrats.

Elon had described himself as a lefty.

No.... If you say something effected you, you're a victim. You should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, sweet summer child.

NDAs in this context are not contracts, they're blackmail. This woman was told, "You can either take the money and sign an NDA, or you can go to the police who will do nothing, and we will take legal action against you and destroy your life".

The NDA then sits there as a permanent threat that if she changes her mind, expensive lawyers will ruin her life. Same reason Virginia Guiffre never came forward.

You assert she made a choice like she had a team of her own lawyers supporting her and advising her on what to do.

Funnily enough, the latter is exactly why this has come out now, and why Musk and others are likely to be sweating bullets. The Andrew/Guiffre case has started a ball rolling which has asserted that NDAs are invalid when it comes to information of a potentially criminal nature. This could be expanded in future to invalidate all NDAs where their purpose is to cover up criminal or civil wrongdoing, rather than to protect IP or company secrets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If Musk decides that he doesn't want to do the deal , which he is perfectly entitled to do then it will cost him the $1B break fee.

Stock markets are down all round the globe over the last few months so claiming "the market has tanked" isn't a reason to not pay the fee. That's a risk that every investor takes.

That $1B his "non-refundable deposit" if you like and no amount of public moaning will change that.

There really isn't a way out of that for him.

"This woman was told, "You can either take the money and sign an NDA, or you can go to the police who will do nothing, and we will take legal action against you and destroy your life".

Where did you get this information? Where you there or have you been in contact with this woman?

Or is this just your interpretation?

This is wild

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst "destroy your life" is perhaps hyperbole the reality is that proving something like that is very costly and taking it to court against someone with the means of Musk would be a huge huge risk.

The risk of losing and having costs awarded against you would dissuade most people as the legal costs would be astronomical.

So the choice presented would be "take something for your trouble or run the risk of utter financial ruin".

Perhaps the better question is "why did Musk give her $250k if the allegations were completely fabricated?"

Or is he saying that the payment never happened either?

Costs against you?

Is it not a potential criminal offence that should be reported to police who will then investigate and if there is enough evidence charges are made.

"Costs against you " sounds like you mean she should sue him.

It's either a crime or its a cash grab. I think the friend has talked her into looking for more money. Again the friend did not report it to the police she reported it to the media. Its obvious

And I can point to people saying similar about Weinstein in relation to victims he paid off. Weinstein is poor next to Musk and the police investigations were shut down when there was plenty of evidence present. So not seeing much reason for a woman being confident in having any luck with reporting somebody like Musk.... Powerful people regular get stuff buried, that's the reality.

• Advertisement

Exactly - Plenty of evidence of individuals going to the Police to complain about the actions of famous/powerful people and for them to go nowhere.

Bottom line - Musk didn't give her $250k for nothing

So the choices are

It never happened , but he paid her off anyway because it was cheaper/easier than the bad press of taking her to court to prove her wrong

OR It did happen and he offered her the money to shut her up and she took it as on balance she wasn't going to get any satisfaction elsewhere.

Don't think there's another option to consider really.

Advertisement