Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think people are still stuck in a time warp with Musk when he took Twitter over, still dreaming about the libertarian utopia it's going to be.

Meanwhile in the real world...........

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You don't need to be following such people, since Elmo took over, such content is being actively pushed to the top of every users feed, especially troublesome for the more impresssionable or less tech savvy users of the platform, great f*cking news if you're in the disinformation business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Everyone I've heard say Twitter has degraded since Musk took over seems to mention how the feed has gone to ****. It seems like just reverting to the old way of doing things wouldn't be too great a task, so it's by design. The exodus of advertisers is well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

“Media Matters knowingly and maliciously manufactured side-by-side images depicting advertisers’ posts on X Corp.’s social media platform beside Neo-Nazi and white-nationalist fringe content and then portrayed these manufactured images as if they were what typical X users experience on the platform,” the complaint filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas said. “Media Matters designed both these images and its resulting media strategy to drive advertisers from the platform and destroy X Corp.”

Have to laugh at how Musk's defence pretty much boils down to "Ads from these large companies will only show up beside neo-Nazi and white nationalist tweets if you really love neo-Nazi and white nationalist content."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I hope the judge asks, “WHY is there such content up there in the first place?”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"FrEeDoM of SpEeCh!!1!" will presumably be the reply.

You should know by now Flaneur, that bigoted hateful scumbags should apparently have the right to scream their invective at anyone they choose - and it's on blacks/women/LGBTQ people to defend themselves all the time, constantly. Oh sorry what is it? Ahem, take part in "rigorous debate" to, presumably, defend their right to exist or have an opinion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What rubbish are you viewing? Perhaps unfollow all the American driven tweets. Because most of us just ignore these idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

That's the beauty of free speech. People are free to say what they like, and you can choose to ignore it, block them, or go elsewhere. I don't support some of the things I see on X, but I do support peoples right to say it in a democracy, even if it makes some other people "offended". And I support Musk's defence of it. I just ignore and/or block any that I see that are ridiculous/extreme that I don't support, I've done that for both right and left leaning stuff. Still support their right to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You can always stick to the people you follow on X , and the mute button is there to block accounts you dont like. I see an amount anti Israeli/pro Hamas stuff on Twitter which doesnt offend me, I'd prefer to see what people I dont agree with are saying. TikTok on the other hand being Chinese owned is also pushing an anti Israeli narrative and no one is giving out about them even though the TikToc audience is more impressionable.

Media matters werent picking up on anything organic, they were creating content from tiny accounts that nobody would see, taking advantage of the algorithm based on follows

dont know much about Media Matters, but they seem like a parasitical outfit not really setup for the betterment of mankind, I'd guess corporate sabotage is a crime under some law

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh here we go. Are you black, female or along the LGBTQ spectrum? Then maybe step off a minute and consider that daily diatribes sent your way denouncing your very existence is not the experience of "most of us", or the necessity of pure free speech. It's called having a degree of empathy for those receiving abuse. Bully for you if you got over yours, and it's not so easy to "just ignore it".

• Advertisement

What are you on about. No one has to debate their existence. Relax with your dramatic nonsense.

And yes I do fall into those categories. But I try to stay away from labels. I note you don't mention other minorities.

Oh you note do you, how canny. Secret Racist Unearthed! Well, funny I'm in one of those categories too, and perfectly happy to use a label if pushed - but here's the rub: I'm not so full of myself I judge or dismiss others for reacting to experiences differently from me. Like I said, it's called empathy but obviously that's too much to ask and dismissed as "American".

Sigh. So we got the classic "I'm all right Jack" dismissiveness, and the usual attempt to push responsibility for policing on the abused. Classic stuff, unsurprising and tedious. It's my fault really; I'm the fool for replying the fault is mine. To crib a phrase from another user 'round these parts - we're done here. Back in the ignore list you go.

Not replying this to this rubbish.

You need to chill out/grow up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why are people still spreading the lie that Musk is in favour of free speech? He consistently shuts down any opinions he doesn’t like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

He allows freedom of speech they like and don't particularly mind a lack of freedom of speech they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭scottser

Free speech is not free, for very good reason - you have to be accountable for what you say.

Besides, most of us has an abstract relationship with free speech. I mean, yeah, I respect your right to have an opinion, but I really don't want to be in a room listening to your badly informed or insulting nonsense. I also doubt everyone would want to listen to mine either.

Musk will learn the hard way that free speech comes at a very high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I saw that post as well.

Glenn Greenwald has never been or has been right-wing, yet he is defending 'X' and Musk here.

It does seem as if MM gamified the process but presented it in a different light publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Free speech" (so called) is just the new cry of "patriotism". Something for scoundrels to seek refuge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He's previously pushed conspiracy theories on Tucker Carlson about Ukraine so he's been a bit a bit of a bad actor for a few years. Media matters aren't the only group that are pointing out the increase in hate speech. On top of that, Musk is frequently chatting to the accounts on Twitter that perpetrate it.

Ding ding ding: as the walls close in, ássholes and malcontents can only unite and hide behind Free Speech as a insincere wail that the world doesn't find their shít amusing anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really, whatever they like?

Such as completely unfounded allegations of paedophilia, for instance?

Or calls for violence against others?

Or doxxing people?

You'd no doubt feel quite differently about it if you were being called all sorts online and having your home or work address posted, etc.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Have they gone after FB and other social media outlets with the same rigour?

Does Mark Zuckerberg regularly agree with or interact with prejudicial accounts that spread hate speech? Indeed, what even are Zuckerberg's politics?

Musk puts himself out there and invites pushback or commentary. This entire kerfuffle could have been easily avoided had Musk kept a discreet profile - and not given focus to various prejudiced accounts. Or indeed take a baseball bat to prior moderation and standards such that Twitter started attracting more hatefull material.

As to media matters, you tell us. What would require intervention WRT Facebook: best I could estimate would be things like the 2016 US election and the issues of Fake News on FB.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Do their CEO's actively "like and share" hateful nonsense?

Have those companies re-instated the accounts of known Hate mongers?

Have those companies fired all of their moderators?

So this is 'personal'

Thought so.

We all know Social Media is a bit of a Toxic wasteland, but to me, this appears to be more about the personalities involved rather then the concept of SM itself.

In other words it's about control, and who controls the narrative, as before Musk took over Twitter there was still the same hateful content being disseminated out there on Twitter.

Musk rightly or wrongly is his own man, and doesnt care, nor doesnt answer to anyone.

For those who are concerned about hateful content, look to your legislators, and even then, that is fraught with danger

This fallacy again. Explain how hateful content on the internet is supposed to be policed at the legislative level in Ireland, if a kid in Detroit posts something requiring intervention? This is a demonstrably unworkable, impractical response to problematic content - unless you're advocating for some kind of World Government construct here to globally police all aspects of our lives, but I doubt it 😁

You're right, it's about the personalities involved because Musk has imposed his personality into scenarios that have caused him problems for his own company. and like any car crash it's hard not to slow down and feel appalled yet compelled to look. This entire problem is Musk's own making - he caused all of Twitter's problems, be they cultural, financial or reputational.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Twitter is demonstrably worse in terms of "hateful content" since Musks takeover - That is a matter of measurable fact.

He has actively worked to facilitate the return of known bad actors on to his platform and he himself uses his massive following to amplify it by commenting/retweeting objectively bad content.

His removal of the process by which twitter as least tried to moderate the content has also made things substantially worse as have the changes to the rankings allowing anyone willing to part with $8 a spot at the top of the viewing list.

So Yes , it's "personal" insofar as Musk is personally and directly responsible for the decline in control and mitigation of the worst kind of hateful content.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Musk gutted the moderation on Twitter, a point put to you that you didn't even try to engage with.

The notion that the 'same hateful content' was being disseminated is patently false, or what do you think the moderation teams were doing?

Nor did they have a nexus like Musk sharing said hateful content, deliberating rigging the Twitter system to share that.

To categorise that as "all about personalities" doesn't even begin to demonstrate any understanding of how Twitter has changed since Musk got his hands on it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you're ignoring all the independent research showing that hateful content has increased greatly since Musk took over?

Advertisement