Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and the agreement was that Musk would do what he promised to do. Not really a win for him is it if he goes to court to get out of a deal and then agrees to complete.

Just to put things in perspective:

Tesla:

Revenue 18.76bn, MArket Cap: 674bn

Amazon:

Revenue 469bn, Market Cap: 911bn

Apple:

Revenue 365bn, Market Cap: 2.21tn

Meta:

Revenue 85.96bn, Market Cap 235bn

Space X:

Revenue 2bn, Market Cap $127bn

Musk's value is based on potential of the very innovative Tech companies he developed, not delivered results. Potential is huge, but risk is there. When Toyota gets moving on electric will the average person pay a premium for a Tesla? Will Space X prevail over the ULA backed by Lockheed Martin and Boeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just wait her out son she just went to get a pack of cigarettes. Back any minute now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Smelly Marxists on twitter upset that another one of their tinpot narco dictators got the boot.

If Musky was involved in that then he's gone up in my estimation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In Ireland, for a collective redundancy like this, the effected employees will be put "on notice" of their jobs being "at risk". Then the'll have a 30 day collective "consultation period" where they'll nominate representatives, and have a few meetings with HR about possible alternatives to redundancy, which everyone knows aren't feasible. At the end of that, the'll get their actual notice of redundancy, which will depend on how long they were with the company, their contract etc, which will almost certainly be served on gardening leave. I'm not sure if the company can force employees to work the consultation period on gardening leave, but I'm sure there's ways to do it - but it's very important for the company not to make it apparent that those people have actually lost their jobs at that point, so all the language from HR and managers will be about being "at risk", not "redundant". The company will also have to notify the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment in writing at least 30 days before any redundancy notices are issued.

It's all theatrics, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

No surprise. I’m sure that twitter like many other companies have been missing efficiencies that a new pair of eyes can see. AI is the future and anyone who is surprised that Elon with the background he has, cannot make twitter more efficient through AI and tech is frankly stupid. As he said himself, you don’t have to do something new you can take something that someone else already does and just do it better. Yes, there is the human element, but as the population of the planet grows, and tech improves, many jobs will become automated, so less jobs to go around. It’s inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Everything is a win for Musk, he can do no wrong.

If we’re trying to shame King by only assuming he takes private flights etc. let’s talk about Elon and his chief executive logic

Musk apparently likes taking a 17 minute private jet flight in LA for a 10 minute drive. And this happens fairly regularly FWIU

Any evidence of King champagne use or private jet extravagance? Most actual rich tend to be stingy. Musk is pretend rich on the back of his celebrity as an entrepreneur and peoples willingness to saddle him with debt.

• Nobody thinks the case went to trial.

Everyone knows (including the Musk sycophants) that it didn't go to trial because Musk realised he hadn't a legal leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Musks missing a trick not bringing in extra checks to cater to his diehards. $50 a month for a red "MuskFan" check, $100 a month for a gold "AntiWoke" check etc.

There are some who will buy anything Musk puts a price on.

Hmm, defender of free speech is he?

That explains Musk’s dual personality. At home, he is an outspoken critic of the Biden administration and a self-proclaimed defender of free speech. With China, where the government holds greater power over the life or death of a private enterprise and the authorities don’t believe in free speech, Musk apparently perceives a need to ingratiate himself to his authoritarian hosts. On the centennial anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party last year, he tweeted that “the economic prosperity that China has achieved is truly amazing … I encourage people to visit and see for themselves.” At home, Musk has mocked Biden’s plan to aid the U.S. electric-vehicle industry, but he’s had nothing but praise for China’s support of new technologies. “My frank observation is that China spends a lot of resources and efforts applying the latest digital technologies in different industries, including the automobile industry, making China a global leader,” he said in a virtual appearance at a conference in the country last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Anyone notice a lack of bots recently? I was on thread posted by Biden yesterday, which for the first time, was near full of people who didn't like him. There was none of the usual fawning from the army of bots that we've become used to. If Twitter manages to get rid of the political warfare bots that are oh so common, then that's a step in the right direction.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree, those left will be looking for their next opportunity as the culture has been completely turned on it's head. If it's twitters best talent left behind headhunters will be licking their lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also important to note that the reason they had to come to an agreement in the first place is solely because Musk was trying to pull out of the deal. And the reason they came to the exact agreement that was already in place was because as you say, Musk realised he hadn't a legal leg to stand on.

The idea that Musk agreed to buy Twitter for 44bn and then everything after that went exactly to Musk's plan because he's a genius and can afford the best legal team money can buy... is utter fiction. He tried to get out of the deal, couldn't, and then had to complete the deal. There was no "agreement" to be made, there was only Musk being held to the original contract he signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Elon wants sustainable automobiles does he? Then why do he and tesla actively lobby against right to repair initiatives?

There were rumors of 75% cuts about a month ago before he took over, Musk dismissed them as not going to happen and now they have happened, a consistent lying narcissist has lied once again and people are for some reason shocked and surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Exactly and this is a big reason many think he is trying to trim it down and flip it as quickly as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You mean Pierce Morgan missing the actual point as usual.

If you are using Morgan as some sort of benchmark to validate your own position, I suggest taking a long hard look in the mirror

No you’re wrong everything’s great we’re all gonna drive around on hyperloops within 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

😂I suspect there were a few political warfare bots in that thread you read.

• Advertisement

Those Twitter employees were quick in filing suit under californias WARN act

Hurried to buy Twitter to avoid 1 lawsuit only to land himself in another.

i hope that kitchen sink he brought with him knows how to take calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Threatening to pull out of a deal is a common negotiation tactic. Thinking he was bullied into buying twitter against his will is a bitter and deranged coping mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wild west social networks are an absolute curse on society.

The fact that some people make $$$$ out of misinformation, hate, swaying elections, , lies, teen body image issues, ...

is just hard to fathom.

It's not over yet, one falls down, another equally catastrophic one pops up in its place.

So, if this problem can be solved by Musk then it's truly a gift to society.

But I think he's bitten off way more than he can chew..he's got all his other business's as well.

I think it's an impossible problem to solve..there is too much money to be made from lies, selfishness and hate.

Nobody said bullied. He signed the deal and a court was always going to hold him to the contract.

the only “negotiating tactic” lmao is elons buyers remorse when he realized he signed on the dotted line without doing his due diligence. Caveat emptor. I bought a used car once and signed before I asked for a spare key. They charged me extra for it! Such is life.

When has GB news ever been about equal speech.

Why are you suddenly changing to "equal" speech?

You really need to stop making it up as you go along

How did it help the negotiation? What did it achieve?

He still had to pay full price, he had no other choice. Damned contract law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

What happened after the layoffs at your company, did the company thrive or go badly wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

'As we should.'

Why?

We've been told a thousand times that Twitter is a "private company" that just does whatever is profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s pretty common to threaten to pull out of a deal, in an effort to get better terms, before you sign it all right.

Threatening to pull out of it after you’ve signed it, facing legal action, and then having to finally accept it with no change in terms isn’t a negotiation tactic at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Exactly remember some were gloating GB News would fail and be gone in 6 months. Funny how that thread disappeared. Similar vibe from some.of the same posters stating that itMusks Twitter will fail. Time will tell I suppose.

Advertisement