Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Indeed they cannot.

Because all their future employers, certainly any in the Tech space, will be researching their social media histories when they apply for a new position. So, they must be good little drones at all times, even in the face of gross mistreatment and humiliation.

It would be far better if everyone affected by this left anything to do with their work off of their social media posts, or better yet, gave up SM altogether for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

Work for a US multinational. If all you heard was my title you would assume that I was one of the most important people in the company. I always assume that the company just gave general workers ridiculous titles to get away from giving a pay rise at some point in the past and it just went to a ridiculous level at some point...

No idea why workers thought it a good thing as there is no way anyone at my level could parlay it into a better job as it is too much of an oversell. Who knows maybe people used to enjoy working there, certainly on the basis of the last few weeks it will have a massive black mark against in the industry and will find it hard to attract talent without massively overpaying. Why would you ever work for Twitter now if you knew you were good? You won't have enough staff and you might just go at the next random lay off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's not running on #EqualSpeech though. He just gave out about advertising leaving ship were "destroying Free Speech"

Hard to know what has won your loyalty over but it isn't Facts.

"Musk has only ever known how to run successful multibillion dollar businesses" - Fact, musk has declared bankruptcy in the past. Boring Company and Hyperloop have never turned a dime of profit. Virgin took the hyperloop concept and actually made it into something, while Elon's hyperloop has just recently been dismantled into a parking lot.

Elon thinks its the bullies scaring the advertisers off but the proof is on Elon's wall. I'm an advertiser with obligations to make money do I advertise on this platform that was just bought out and gone private under the guy having a meltdown like this in the middle of the night:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Why doesn't he just make #freespeech great again?

This is getting amusing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is brilliant because it completely misses the point that it is highly likely that many people are looking what is going on around them and are glad to be leaving.

Absolutely, they've lost their jobs, but if they were as highly paid as we have been led to believe, and as qualified as they very likely are, then they have that luxury of being able to say 'Thank fcuk I'm out of here'.

Also, no one, absolutely no one is going to ask these people 'Why' they lost their jobs when they next sit in an interview and not only that, but they won't have to justify having continued to work for Musk in the manner in which he is operating.

It's probably riling Musk up big time to see people being totally fine with this.

It's a private company. He's entitled to do as he pleases.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

For years Twitter became a safe space for the radical left so that they could shadow ban conservative users. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, the left doesn't like it. Big surprise.

I was not arguing it isn't.

Glad you agree with me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He spent years cosying up to the far right and telling everyone how loose moderation would be when he took over and is suddenly surprised that advertisers don't want to be associated with it.

Reminds me of the below tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And it will be hilarious when he completes his detonation of the entity he just paid 40 billion quid for.

He paid 40+ plus billion, it was worth 25 billion TOPS the day he signed the deal and its probably worth 10 billion as we speak (but the day is not over yet)

Even Kanye West is looking at this and thinking 'Bro......'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

**delete**

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Twitter has been economically unviable for years.

That may or may not change with Musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To err is human to totally f@@k up it took Musk.

If I was one of the investors I be trying to get out of town fast. Musk is not the fantastic business person some think he is a brilliant engineer and is probably on the autism spectrum.

There is no doubt that Twitter was overstaffed and had got fat. However it is dependent on advertising revenue and on its big name posters for to create that revenue. Yes some of these are advertising and selling either products with there posts. But many of the most influential are not.

Musk got caught he bid a price and bought without due diligence and has got caught in a software stock repricing. Advertisers were starting to get the jitters anyway about the cost of online advertising anyway.

Because he overpaid he has overreacted in trying for a quick fix. He knew nothing about the way social media works and is funded. He looked at it from the outside and was annoyed over banning of out at the edge right wing idealogy. He never understood why Trump was banned. Similar to why really older wealth golfers misunderstood the reaction to LIV and soccer club owners to the attempt at a European soccer super league. When you are dependent on advertising and all your eggs are in that basket as Warren Buffett says you need to watch it very closely.

Musk has come into a social media company, he misunderstood the nature of the company and where it is funded from. Worse the bad publicity he is generating is frightening advertisers. Any advertising revenue he loses he will be lucky to get 50%back.

Why do social media companies moderate some right wing views. It's because they are bad for advertising. Those that follow the redneck posting are usually lower paid, chip on the shoulder people. They also tend to not be big spenders. They buy rifles in the US and big jeeps, they do not buy perfume, expensive mobile phones, software devices, etc.

If Musk collapses Twitter revenue and alienates it more progressive posters then it will turn into a cesspit. He will get tied up in libel suits and will the organization will crash and burn.

Sacking 50% of the workforce will leave him open to labor laws all over the world. Some are not as benign as Ireland's. He is also laying off complete teams as opposed to individuals this will leave gaps in the organisation No company can rationalize a workforce without risking a meltdown.

His biggest problem is the better IT guys accross the organization if worked too hard will cut and run. Many of these like himself are on the spectrum but unable to handle stress.

This will be interesting to watch. I was never on Twitter and only ever knew about Musk by the Tesla brand.

At a guess he will be shoved aside by the investors as they try to salvage the mess he has created within 12 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

40 billion will be worth it to deliver #freespeech to lads like John357384927

Odd too, how the once anti corporate left, now seem to both support these corporations, and also think that they've high moral standards. There's literally nothing left, of the old left is there?

What's wrong with 'the left' etc. cheering on one corporation telling another corporate clown to **** off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Have you never had a meal with another human being?

Shh. They needed to find something in the video to attack. That was the best effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That is why he was actioned, not because of some morality that existed at Twitters Board level.

No it wasn't. It was solely political. I'd bet that advertisers weren't even a slight factor in the decision making process.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I never mentioned Alexandria whatever her name is? Like you said, she's not really noteworthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,522 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You didn't have to mention her, the post you took exception with did it for you.

All I said here was AOC too and you filled in "Alexandria whatever her name is"

Yeah, OK

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't really care either way about Twitter, but Jesus, there's a really weird group of people whose whole identity seems to be that they're fans of a weird rich guy.

The fact that he's surprised that advertisers are abandoning Twitter is genuinely hilarious. He's made it a toxic brand that people don't want to be associated with, there's no conspiracy, it's companies taking a look at how he's handled things in the last week and getting the **** out of there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh I expect there are going to a lot of very disappointed people in the coming months. The boys and girls from twitter just walked away with $44bn of Musk's money and now he has got to try and get some of it back. "Free speech" on Twitter will soon have a price, a price very few on the right, left or center will be willing to pay. Trump is not about to give up control of his own little empire and you've got 3k people out there look for a job who know how to build these things.... plus several other media companies waiting to grab a slice of the action, it will be interesting, but not what anyone expected.

I’ve a feeling this one will become a textbook example of the extreme hubris of tech billionaires ahead of the great 2020’s crash.

I think I know where most of them might leave a CV in at

All the shareholders (aside Musk) get rich

The workers are going to get a big layoff settlement bc Elon was too busy cutting costs to think about legal repercussions (like he was too busy buying twitter to think about his due diligence)

And they get to go work at a new startup with the same core mission without all the corporate overhead.

Well played, Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The reek of arrogance off her.

Elon wont be long putting manner son her and all of th eother virtue signalling upstarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In todays world, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Dorsey ended up owning it in 2-5 years having bought it for a fraction of what Musk paid for it.

Apparently Saudi Arabia were partial investors in the buy out, they'd probably be fine with losing their money if it meant that the attention on them on social media decreased significantly but it looks like a monumental misstep to have paid so much for something you patently have no idea what to do with it.

This could turn out to be one of the strongest arguments against allowing some people to become Uber wealthy that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

• Advertisement

I didn't think this thread would prove this amusing but are people actually livid that AOC, a human person, was eating on camera?

But na she's the arrogant one 🤡

(Meme as captioned shared by Elon himself)

Advertisement